Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why we need level 2 driverless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are just going to post people dying in vehicle crashes (which is super gross to me), not sure why you are cherry picking. This happens several times a day... Unless you are intimating that someone that is "more famous" is somehow more important than all the other people this happens to, daily.
I think his original post was relevant since it involves the spouse of JB Straubel, one of Tesla's founders and first CTO.

Advances in technology have made humans lazy; we put too much faith in technology to make our lives easier. But really, were our lives such that its difficult for us to fill the dogs water bowl, start the car on a cold morning, turn the livingroom lights on or off? Now are we so busy that we need to multi task while commuting? We have a machine that allows us to ride in a vehicle that can drive us to a destination while we read War and Peace. Yes, yes, it is strongly advised to NOT give that vehicle so much autonomy, but lets face it, too many people are tempted and relax just a bit too much. When something goes wrong, humans will lay blame anywhere but on themselves: its the computers fault.

No matter how sophisticated or intelligent the computer operating that vehicle might be, that vehicle is still a two-plus ton projectile travelling at speed. A computer is only as good as the human who programmed it. Computers malfunction, the dots and dashes sometimes do not line up the way they are expected to. Whether the Ford that hit Boryana had any such “safety” features is not of consequence. Two issues are paramount here: #1, when behind the wheel of a several thousand pound vehicle, such features are there to assist the driver. Not the other way around. It is the drivers responsibility to PAY ATTENTION and maintain control. And #2, a beautiful, brilliant and inspirational woman has been killed. Her husband has lost his wife and her children will grow up without her.

Reactions: DanCar
Reactions: DanCar

US cites ‘crisis’ as road deaths rise 18% in first-half 2021​

Buttigieg said:
We cannot and should not accept these fatalities as simply a part of everyday life in America. No one will accomplish this alone. It will take all levels of government, industries, advocates, engineers and communities across the country working together toward the day when family members no longer have to say good-bye to loved ones because of a traffic crash.
Or we can help Elon bring self driving to reality.

Tesla runs a red light and slams into an SUV.
How much do you want to bet, if instead of Tesla the driver was in a Ford or even BMW, the company would never be mentioned in the headline ?

How much do you want to bet, if instead of Tesla the driver was in a Ford or even BMW, the company would never be mentioned in the headline ?
Ford maybe not depending on the model, but BMW almost certainly.

This isn’t a Tesla-specific thing, it’s a high-end luxury / performance vehicle thing. A crash involving a 1998 Chevy Astro will just have “a van” in the headline, but a Land Rover / Jaguar / Mercedes / etc crash article will specify the brand in the headline.

A Lamborghini, Ferrari, or worse yet Koenigsegg / Bugatti / Pagani level crash can make the national news. Tesla is a brand worthy of mention in headlines, but it ain’t alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ford maybe not depending on the model, but BMW almost certainly.

This isn’t a Tesla-specific thing, it’s a high-end luxury / performance vehicle thing. A crash involving a 1998 Chevy Astro will just have “a van” in the headline, but a Land Rover / Jaguar / Mercedes / etc crash article will specify the brand in the headline.

A Lamborghini, Ferrari, or worse yet Koenigsegg / Bugatti / Pagani level crash can make the national news. Tesla is a brand worthy of mention in headlines, but it ain’t alone.
I just searched "Tesla runs a redlight" and got a bunch of news hits. "BMW runs a redlight" - I only get videos and social media hits.

Media just doesn't mention other luxury brands the same way they do ad-less Tesla.

ps : Small luxury brands like Ferrari might still get mentions, since they are clickbait and don't advertise as much.

I just searched "Tesla runs a redlight" and got a bunch of news hits. "BMW runs a redlight" - I only get videos and social media hits.

Media just doesn't mention other luxury brands the same way they do ad-less Tesla.

ps : Small luxury brands like Ferrari might still get mentions, since they are clickbait and don't advertise as much.
But probably all the same articles about one red light run that resulted in multiple injuries. If you search for brand names + "crash", you'll see the trends -- expensive, fast, unique, noteworthy vehicles are regularly mentioned in headlines while regular ol' vehicles aren't.

Tesla has a lot of reasons for mentioning: new disruptive brand taking off, new technologies, expensive vehicles, super quick, the list goes on. I personally don't see it as an anti-Tesla agenda.

I mean right here from the same website as the article mentioning the Tesla running a red light

Reactions: Terminator857