Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

why Wh/mi and not mi/Wh?

Teefal

Aug 11, 2020
Bethlehem PA USA
Always wondered this ... isn't mi/Wh easier for people to understand (like mpg?)

is it just to avoid fractions? 0.033, etc. Could do 1000mi/Wh, I guess.

Anyway ... need to flip your thinking ... 300 is worse than 280.

Could be so the consumption graph looks like the mountains you're climbing ;)

Last edited:

kishkaru

Feb 3, 2020
The Bay, CA
mi/kWh = efficiency. Higher = better.
kWh/mi (or Wh/mi) = consumption. Lower = better.

I think Tesla was one of the first companies that used consumption reporting over efficiecny reporting, and now several other automakers are switching to it too.

I personally like using mi/kWh. I call it MPK (similar to MPG). I can ask other EV drivers "hey, what kind of MPK are you getting in your car?"
3 mi/kWh (or 333 Wh/mi) is my baseline at highway speeds. I have SoC % rather than range, as it makes it easy to guesstimate range on a trip (since rated range is not equal to real range). The math is easy to do in your head while driving.

So say I have 50% battery remaining, this means that I can drive (75 kWh * 50%) * 3 = 112 mi more.
To do the same calculation using consumption, the math is more difficult: (75 kWh * 50%) / 0.333 = 112 mi.

> Could be so the consumption graph looks like the mountains you're climbing
That's the real secret reason Tesla picked it, haha.😄

Hexo09

Mar 8, 2021
Bay Area, CA
That's a good question. I grew up in Europe (France) and the measure for ICE cars there is the number of liters consumed/100km. So it is closer to what Tesla uses, but it does force you to do some math gymnastics in your head to calculate your range. But I like numbers, so I don't mind.

frankvb

Supporting Member
Feb 29, 2020
San Diego, CA
That's a good question. I grew up in Europe (France) and the measure for ICE cars there is the number of liters consumed/100km. So it is closer to what Tesla uses, but it does force you to do some math gymnastics in your head to calculate your range. But I like numbers, so I don't mind.
But it used to be km/l quite a long time ago (at least in the Netherlands). Can't remember exactly when the switch happened, could actually have been over a long transition period.

dyau

Feb 1, 2021
seattle
would you rather multiply by miles to easily get what the total kwh is for your trip?

or would you rather multiply by kwh to get the total miles for your trip?

i think the first is more useful..

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC