Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why white is now the standard finish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To save on paint correction after handover/delivery
Boy do scratches stand out like dogs balls on black
they will stand oout on white too with the right lighting ? im taking an inspection light... specially brought which then will go in my workshop but yeh.

is it advised to let tesla fix them to make them make it right to improve overall standard or tell tehm to leave the fk alone and let a professional fix it scuh as when we get ceramic coating done?

Yes, I believe they did some research to see which color got the least amount of complaints/paint corrections at delivery and that was the white so it became the standard.
Correcting issues at the service center's costs them much more than the extra coat at the factory.

They should have not removed the lighter silver , as that color is actually the very best at hiding imperfections.

Reactions: GenSao
I think the change has more to do with pollution standards. I read a long time ago different colors have slight different pollutants (could be different today with water based paints).

Also for the record, I see more issues on Paint Defects on Pearl than any other color.

Midnight Silver seems to have the least IMHO. Partly why I chose it. I think it's partly to do with what Prime colors they use.

they will stand oout on white too with the right lighting ? im taking an inspection light... specially brought which then will go in my workshop but yeh.

is it advised to let tesla fix them to make them make it right to improve overall standard or tell tehm to leave the fk alone and let a professional fix it scuh as when we get ceramic coating done?
Yes, take your inspection light. I took a torch. But to be honest, I didn’t need it as the scratches were so obvious.
Tesla are paying for my paint correction - went to the detailer literally the day after hand over, because it was too late in the afternoon on the day.
Then it will go straight from the detailer to the film installer for full body paint protection film (Suntek Ultra) with ceramic coating (Gtechniq Halo) on top.
Was advised that most premium car companies do paint correction prior to delivery, not after

I always assumed it because it was cheaper!

The while is a "pearl" and the red is a 3 coat. Not 100% sure!
The pearl is a 3 coat I believe, so it's interesting they decided to give one of the most expensive finishes for free. but yeah if you're getting a new Tesla keep in mind that getting the multi-coat pearl white for free is a really good deal.

The reason is that when they opened up the model 3 to sell in Europe it was likely that Black would be very popular especially for the cars that would be used as taxis and if that volume ended up being significant that would give a bump to the profit margin.

The pearl is a 3 coat I believe, so it's interesting they decided to give one of the most expensive finishes for free. but yeah if you're getting a new Tesla keep in mind that getting the multi-coat pearl white for free is a really good deal.
Indeed it is. I've done Pearl White painting. Not counting any surface prep coat or primer, Pearl White is a plain white base coat, then a pearlescent mid coat, and finally a glossy clear coat. Gorgeous in sunlight.