Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why will you need a Cyber Truck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't need one, we have a 2015 F-150, but are replacing our 1999 Nissan Frontier. We will keep the F-150 for long range towing and as my wifes daily driver. The charging network is not well suited for pulling a trailer, and the expected range decrease from the trailer. We do find that having a truck is convenient for when we do haul or tow, and the lack of paint will be beneficial for using it on the back roads.

Hi all, first post here. I live in Tacoma, WA.

I just ordered the Tri this morning. I'll be replacing 2 vehicles with this new truck:

2001 F-250 crew cab long box diesel 4wd with 6 speed manual
2011 BMW M3 6 speed manual.

I'll be using the CT-Tri to tow my 12,000 lb boat about 200 miles each way to the ocean, and to tow my 7,000 lb travel trailer all over the place.

This new CT-Tri will be my new daily. Work, groceries, pick up kids from school, you know, middle aged Dad stuff.

I wonder what the range cut will be towing 12000 pounds They need to start building charger stations with large wide pull throughs

I was wondering the same thing. My 7.3 diesel weighs 8,200 lbs by itself. It gets about 20-22 mpg on the freeway with a canopy and 35" all terrain tires. Towing my 12k boat, it's knocked down to 13 mpg. I don't know much about electric vehicles but I'm hoping the 500 mile range of the tri get's me to my destination.

I was wondering the same thing. My 7.3 diesel weighs 8,200 lbs by itself. It gets about 20-22 mpg on the freeway with a canopy and 35" all terrain tires. Towing my 12k boat, it's knocked down to 13 mpg. I don't know much about electric vehicles but I'm hoping the 500 mile range of the tri get's me to my destination.

My guess is that you'll see a 50% decrease in range. And really, I'd plan for worst case scenario of 60-70% decrease. I'm going in to my purchase assuming 200 miles on the tri-motor. Which, would be plenty, assuming Tesla can exponentially increase the superchargers.

You'll get to the beach on one charge most likely, but not back. I notice quite stark range differences between the going there and coming back.

Yea, that's the wild card. Will there be a way to attach a plow, hopefully without some custom (read expensive) attachments? The truck can tow 14K so it has to have the structural integrity to do so, but isn't the typical on-frame design so who knows?

I think the CT will be an amazing snowplow truck. Massive clearance, incredible traction and plenty of range to handle all-day work even in cold weather.

And with no shifting gears in a transmission.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I need a CT because I need to tow 3,500 pounds. I currently borrow a model X when I need to tow. I was excited when I read the model Y could do this, then I realized a single motor CT would tow more, carry more passengers with more room, cary more stuff in the back, have adjustable suspension, have a built in generator, many other things I will not bother to list plus be close to the same range as a model Y for a lower price.

The main things I am giving up are probably 5% range when not towing, efficiency when not towing, probably mph when supercharging and it will be harder to park.

I am basing my same or better range at a lower price based on single motor CT is 250 miles at $40K which is the same range and price as a Model 3 SR+ and AWD CT is $50K for 300 miles vs. AWD model Y is $53K for 316 miles.

Reactions: SmartElectric