Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why will you need a Cyber Truck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, first post here. I live in Tacoma, WA.

I just ordered the Tri this morning. I'll be replacing 2 vehicles with this new truck:

2001 F-250 crew cab long box diesel 4wd with 6 speed manual
2011 BMW M3 6 speed manual.

I'll be using the CT-Tri to tow my 12,000 lb boat about 200 miles each way to the ocean, and to tow my 7,000 lb travel trailer all over the place.

This new CT-Tri will be my new daily. Work, groceries, pick up kids from school, you know, middle aged
Dad stuff.
That's a big boat with a long way to go. Does your trailer have trailer breaks?

I just picked up a 19' Grady White yesterday. I only have to tow it a mile to get it launched into saltwater: 2. Wright Landing Municipal Boat Launch & Park (aka Ferry Landing) thus I won't worry about my Tri motors range with the boat.

1) I drive an 2012 Acura MDX (16 MPG), it will be 10 yo in 2 years (with an outlook of $5+k in maintenance). Need a replacement for a larger home vehicle (Homedepot, Costco, longer trips on not-so-perfect roads, etc.)
2) I drive 2019 M3 and I do not really want a slightly bloated version of it (model Y) as an addition to my "garage". I want something different.
3) At $50k for dual motor version (and $40k single motor), I don't know of anything other than CT that has Air Suspension standard. And I "need" it because roads suck. If Tesla can really deliver on its promise of price and features, I see no competition for CT regardless if it is an electric vehicle or not.

I could just as well get a Y or S, but there's a few reasons the CT stands out.

• Seats 4 comfortably; 5 or 6 in a pinch.
  • 500 mile range: reduces range anxiety.
  • Thrilling 2.9 second 0-60.
  • AWD.
  • Can handle some casual off-roading or bad weather.
  • Air suspension.
  • Looks cool, unique.
  • Should be safe in a crash (debate about crumple zones aside).
  • Ideal for camping: can just sleep in the back; has camping accessories.
  • Tailgate that can turn into a ramp: useful for loading a handcycle into the back or letting my dog(s) get into the back without struggling. (Looks like I would need to add grip/padding to accommodate the dog though.)
  • Has room to hold my wheelchair in back: important if I'm with a passenger who can put it back there. Otherwise, I just disassemble the wheelchair and put it into the front passenger's seat.
  • Stainless steel / no paint: I absolutely destroy the paint on my cars getting the wheelchair in/out, which makes me feel bad. Scratching stainless steel just adds character.
  • No huge center console: means I can move my wheelchair into the front passenger's seat without worrying about overcoming or damaging a big center console/arm rest. In more general terms, that front seating area looks very roomy.
The only thing that really gives me pause is if the step-in height is too tall for me to slide into the driver's seat, but given that it can lower to 8" of ground clearance (possibly more after additional updates), I'm hopeful the seat won't be too high.

So you guys tow a trailer around instead of owning truck? I realize the streets are a lot smaller but what about the small pickup truck? Are those still too large for Europe?

Well, I’m in Canada. But we spend a lot of time in Europe. In Britain pickups are more common but pretty rare in mainland Europe. So yep. Utility trailers are super common for household use.

I own a home. How does any homeowner NOT have a truck? Mulch, home projects, landscape... list goes on. Do people who own a home with a yard really not own a truck?

I own a home (in Oklahoma) and I am suffering for 10+ years without a truck.... because all trucks sucked for me ... not anymore, now I am waiting for the CyberTruck to end my suffering. No more trailer rentals, no more truck rentals.

Reactions: David.85D
My husband wants an RV. I don't want something rated at 8 mpg after getting 65 mpg with my Prius Prime for the last 3 years and over 50 mpg for the past 13 years with our other Prius. What vehicle can go 500 miles, 0 to 60 in under 2.9 seconds, and tow 14k pounds?!? The specs are insane. I can't wait until this thing comes out.

Besides that, just look at it. I love it.

My husband wants an RV. I don't want something rated at 8 mpg after getting 65 mpg with my Prius Prime for the last 3 years and over 50 mpg for the past 13 years with our other Prius. What vehicle can go 500 miles, 0 to 60 in under 2.9 seconds, and tow 14k pounds?!? The specs are insane. I can't wait until this thing comes out.

Besides that, just look at it. I love it.
And there was a report that Tesla has improved the range of the tri-motor to 560 miles. Since a trailer roughly halves the range, that's a good improvement.