Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why will you need a Cyber Truck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a Model 3 LR RWD for daily driving and roadtrips when the grandparents aren't living with us. We have a Pacifica Hybrid for the need of 6 seats for about 8 months out of the year. We also have a 2007 Tacoma to just have a truck for those various odds and ends. I also just sold my Nissan GT-R because I was not driving it anymore.

So now I am planning on getting a Tri-motor CT to replace a minivan, small truck, and supercar all in one. Can't wait to take this thing camping or driving through snow with the kids!

Replacing a 2004 Chevy 2500 (light duty, not the HD) 4x4 4-door with 6.5' box.

Used for: Household odds and ends, projects, and yard maint. Hauling parts and finished product for a small side business. Towing boats short and moderate distances to local bodies of water. Hauling fuel for boats. Occasional towing of a utility trailer, a compact tractor, and other rental equipment and trailers.

Don't need the full 4-door crew cab with 6 full sized seats anymore now that kids are out of car seats. An extended cab with just jump seats back there would be fine and I would prefer the space be used for the cargo bed instead.

Last edited:
I am not a tradesman. But I get how one’s identity is reflected in the vehicle they own. I always liked a tough rugged suv/car. The cybertruck checks this box 110%. The thing is indestructible and that makes it low worry/maintenance. Hit a curb? Pfft. Rock thrown up by the car in front. Whatever. 1 million miles battery and drive train (and no rust). Check, check and check.

Next I like to go camping or light off-roading. Going to Baja for example entails going through lots of dirt roads. The built in camper mode and extensions (cooking range, etc) tickled that itch big time.

Of course it screams futuristic and that’s also a major appeal. Tesla took a risk on this front and I am going to reward them for it. It’s bold and speaks to my anarchist side. :)

I will still keep the model 3 as a daily I suspect. As much as I like the cyber I also like to be efficient. May not be a daily but that’s fine by me if it turns out that way.

More than anything... a lifestyle choice.

Do a lot of camping, cycling and snowboarding with kids. I could totally use a flat bed. But it never occurred to me to buy one because the rest of the time, that flatbed is a burden on mileage. So, SUV/Minivan have been the more civilized choices. However, it always meant mount this, and mount that depending on what we wanna do. And when camping, we'd fill the entire minivan even with a rack/storage on top because we usually travel as 6 (me, wife, 2 kiddos and either my in-laws, parents or my friends)

With the CT, we can fit all the craps in the bed, while still have 6 people traveling comfortably. Also... one HUGE point was that the tri-motor version I reserved can go 500+ miles on a single charge. That means that road trip with kids in an EV is finally indifferent than comparing to ICE. 500miles is probably the most I can bear with my kids in a day assuming normal driving speed with the regular restroom/food stops on a 10hr drive per day.

The only concern I have is that unless Tesla has something magical under its sleeves, we'd likely be looking at 200kwh battery for the tri-motor version. And a destination charger such the ones found at hotels would not be able to fully charge it overnight.

Reactions: Shygar
The only concern I have is that unless Tesla has something magical under its sleeves, we'd likely be looking at 200kwh battery for the tri-motor version. And a destination charger such the ones found at hotels would not be able to fully charge it overnight.
I'd guess that most of the time that wouldn't be much of an issue. Particularly if they have the 80 amp HPWC. Eight or nine hours would certainly charge the Tri-motor.

I bought the S in South Florida. We recently moved to Ontario and the amount of times that a Full Size Truck can be of great use in Canada means that the Cybertuck will be my next vehicle. Have not placed an order yet though because as we learned from the 3 at the end it doesnt matter if you had a reservation or not, what matters is the build (RWD, Dual motor etc..,) And I'd rather be further down the Vin # line to ensure they have worked out the very early bugs that are common in Tesla releases.

Wrapping it in Matte Black as soon as I get it as well.
You shouldn't worry about getting your CT too early just because you expect the build quality to get better. You don't HAVE to configure it as soon as your number is up. You can delay it as long as you want. This way you can better control when you get it. Simply wait until you think the bugs are ironed out and then configure it. Judging by the reservation estimates there's going to be a long queue. If you wait to make a reservation you can't move your purchase sooner if you need to for some reason. Plus you'll only tie up $100. As to the matte black, Elon claims it will be available directly from Tesla. And I would think it will be more durable than a wrap.

More than anything... a lifestyle choice.

Do a lot of camping, cycling and snowboarding with kids. I could totally use a flat bed. But it never occurred to me to buy one because the rest of the time, that flatbed is a burden on mileage. So, SUV/Minivan have been the more civilized choices. However, it always meant mount this, and mount that depending on what we wanna do. And when camping, we'd fill the entire minivan even with a rack/storage on top because we usually travel as 6 (me, wife, 2 kiddos and either my in-laws, parents or my friends)

With the CT, we can fit all the craps in the bed, while still have 6 people traveling comfortably. Also... one HUGE point was that the tri-motor version I reserved can go 500+ miles on a single charge. That means that road trip with kids in an EV is finally indifferent than comparing to ICE. 500miles is probably the most I can bear with my kids in a day assuming normal driving speed with the regular restroom/food stops on a 10hr drive per day.

Just hit a SuC on the way to the hotel so your SoC isn't too low when you get there.

I'm not a truck guy and I technically don't need one. But the plan is to tour the country (and Canada) a lot and use it for camping either via camper mode or whatever after market camper attachment is available when it comes out. It'll also be a great winter car since it should go through almost anything and I won't have to worry about salt eating away at it. It'll also come in handy for Bills' games. Currently I cringe when all of the footballs and other crazy sh!t that goes on around my Model 3. This thing will be nearly indestructible so I'll be able to rest easy. When not in use I'll put it on the Tesla Network and earn back some of the cost. This thing will be a hot item with the younger crowd and should be pretty easy to "rent out". Plus it should hold up to the abuse. I'd be afraid to put my Model 3 on the TN. And now that I think about it, it might become the vehicle I drive to work since I won't have to worry about dings in the parking lot.

Last edited:
I buy homes in need of ...... everything. I do the work. Repair, remodel, rent, repeat.
I haul wood to heat my home.
I haul wood to heat my cabin.
I plow my own private road.
I have an SUV, but the truck is more of the daily driver.

EVERY truck I've scrapped was due to frame or crossmember rot with mechanicals in excellent shape.

IF the undercarriage which I have not found discussed at length, is as rust and corrosion resistant as the upper stainless section, my main reason will be for a more durable material.

I buy homes in need of ...... everything. I do the work. Repair, remodel, rent, repeat.
I haul wood to heat my home.
I haul wood to heat my cabin.
I plow my own private road.
I have an SUV, but the truck is more of the daily driver.

EVERY truck I've scrapped was due to frame or crossmember rot with mechanicals in excellent shape.

IF the undercarriage which I have not found discussed at length, is as rust and corrosion resistant as the upper stainless section, my main reason will be for a more durable material.
There is no undercarriage. That's why it's not discussed.

There is no undercarriage. That's why it's not discussed.

Yeah, I don't know what to call it. Pan, skateboard, whatever the support for batteries will be. It should still be called "the undercarriage"...... maybe not. Anything mechanical is going to have a weak spot. Faults will show up in any vehicle, aircraft, or machine.
I'm thinking if there are issues with batteries falling through cracked and rotted pans, (retired VW mechanic here while the original Beetle existed) there will be a fixable solution if it is not a structural element. I'm the kind of guy that goes into a showroom to look at vehicles and starts by crawling UNDER it. o_O

Yeah, I don't know what to call it. Pan, skateboard, whatever the support for batteries will be. It should still be called "the undercarriage"...... maybe not. Anything mechanical is going to have a weak spot. Faults will show up in any vehicle, aircraft, or machine.
I'm thinking if there are issues with batteries falling through cracked and rotted pans, (retired VW mechanic here while the original Beetle existed) there will be a fixable solution if it is not a structural element. I'm the kind of guy that goes into a showroom to look at vehicles and starts by crawling UNDER it. o_O
The battery assembly hasn't really been an issue. My S is just under seven years old and 130K miles. 6 mm aluminum tank armour is pretty tough.

Why I signed up for a tri-motor CT:
  1. Having 3 kids under 5, I'm thinking the CT may be a more practical family hauler than my X90D.
  2. Lots of cargo space for said kids' gear, Costco / Home Depot trips
  3. Rugged features of the CT like stainless steel also make it more kid-proof
  4. Tri-motor = vroom-vroom
  5. Tri-motor = absolutely no range anxiety on our road trips
  6. Solar option has me intrigued - I'm hoping Tesla might be able to squeeze even more efficiency out of the solar tech by the time CT comes to market
  7. I absolutely love my X's massive windshield- it allows for a more enjoyable drive. I look forward to not having to compromise on this with the CT.
  8. Landscape screen orientation - I feel this is more practical than my X's vertical orientation.
  9. Super sci-fi-ish looks factor
  10. Truck nuts

• Funny
Reactions: Zorg and Shygar
The battery assembly hasn't really been an issue. My S is just under seven years old and 130K miles. 6 mm aluminum tank armour is pretty tough.
Your S doesn’t have 16” of ground clearance... I have concerns around how stout they will make the undercarriage as well as side rails of the unibody, integrated sliders would be awesome. not for salt corrosion, since they banned salt a long time ago in Alaska but for rock damage Off-roading.