Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Won't It Turn Off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car makes a small whirring electric motor noise 24x7. Background:
  1. It's not charging: Is set to complete charge before off-peak end (7:45 am) to 76% 7 days a week.
  2. Climate's not on (that I can discern, and I've looked extensively) and it's set to precondition to drive by 7:30am weekdays)
  3. Car is in a heated garage and is, at present at 63F.
  4. Sentry was on (different story/post) and has been turned off as it showed considerable range loss. No change.
  5. Car has locked itself and beeped horn, so it knows it's supposed to be off.
WTF? I thought these "went to sleep", and I certainly didn't think it would be running a motor in the background. Any suggestions?

If you have purchased Full Self Driving then turn off the Summon Standby mode for the Home location. As with Sentry Mode, Summon/Smart Summon Standby mode will cause the Tesla Model Y to remain awake.
You are everywhere on this forum. Thanks! Sadly though, nope. I do have the Beta loaded, but am not ever spending $15k for SD. I did look, I see no "Summon Mode" to enable/disable. Any other thoughts?

There are a number of third-party apps for the Tesla Model Y that can monitor energy use, schedule charging, etc. Sometimes the third-party app will malfunction, cause the Tesla vehicle to remain in standby mode and never enter sleep mode. If you have or had a third-party app and you want to cut off access to your Tesla vehicle you should change the login password on your Tesla account.

Just to draw some closure to this, it now does go to sleep. My take:

1) Yes, sentry was running even though it was at home. That's a different post, but..
2) They are awake a lot more than I'd expected. I've LOTS to learn still, but there seems to be no shortage of things that wake them or keep them awake: Open the door, close the door, charge them, open the remote app, have driven it recently, sentry lost and running, and etc. It seems a growing list.

thank all!

-d

Just to draw some closure to this, it now does go to sleep. My take:

1) Yes, sentry was running even though it was at home. That's a different post, but..
2) They are awake a lot more than I'd expected. I've LOTS to learn still, but there seems to be no shortage of things that wake them or keep them awake: Open the door, close the door, charge them, open the remote app, have driven it recently, sentry lost and running, and etc. It seems a growing list.

thank all!

-d
I would add to that list that the Tesla Model Y wakes up/remains in standby mode when downloading a software update. Depending on the speed and reliability of your home WiFi connection this can take quite a bit of time.

I would add to that list that the Tesla Model Y wakes up/remains in standby mode when downloading a software update. Depending on the speed and reliability of your home WiFi connection this can take quite a bit of time.

As always, thanks for your comments!

Wifi: Killer in the garage. By bad luck my fiber internet terminates there so I run a primary wi-fi router in the garage and just use AP's in other places where needed.

I'd appreciate your thought, let me set the table a moment: I read in this forum of a guy sweating out a trip away for a few weeks w/his T at the airport while his battery state dwindled somewhat (subjective) quickly. He ended up never reporting back but I noted others made comment on poor signal strength as a potential cause.

I've regularly experienced serious battery depletion IRL w/phones and tablets when in remote and/or exceptionally poor cell service. I'd never considered (and perhaps my bad) that the 75kw+ capacity of today's EV's could even be dented by same, or Wi-Fi for that matter.

Q1) Is this real? Do Tesla owners really attribute/experience noticable battery depletion over something so small?
Q2) If so, why is there no "External Comm Shutdown" option? Live the RFIS powered up, but otherwise...

TIA for your thoughts,

-d

As always, thanks for your comments!

Wifi: Killer in the garage. By bad luck my fiber internet terminates there so I run a primary wi-fi router in the garage and just use AP's in other places where needed.

I'd appreciate your thought, let me set the table a moment: I read in this forum of a guy sweating out a trip away for a few weeks w/his T at the airport while his battery state dwindled somewhat (subjective) quickly. He ended up never reporting back but I noted others made comment on poor signal strength as a potential cause.

I've regularly experienced serious battery depletion IRL w/phones and tablets when in remote and/or exceptionally poor cell service. I'd never considered (and perhaps my bad) that the 75kw+ capacity of today's EV's could even be dented by same, or Wi-Fi for that matter.

Q1) Is this real? Do Tesla owners really attribute/experience noticable battery depletion over something so small?
Q2) If so, why is there no "External Comm Shutdown" option? Live the RFIS powered up, but otherwise...

TIA for your thoughts,

-d
You can disable WiFi in the Tesla Model Y; Click on the WiFi symbol in the upper right corner of the screen. If no WiFi symbol click on the LTE symbol. You can disable the WiFi there. The Tesla Model Y will attempt to connect to the default network the next time you drive.

Reactions: dafish