Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why wont my 2015 stay powered on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every time i get in my 2015 model S, i have to wait for the instrument cluster to turn on. Usually this shouldnt be the case for teslas, as they should already be powered on every time you enter the car and ready to drive. In my case, this happens every time i exit and enter the car. But my center screen is always on. Any thoughts?

Would that mean the car will be losing more range when its parked? Im concerned since my battery might be degraded and it loses range quicker than normal when driving
That's the tradeoff, yeah. "Energy Saving" means the car shuts down more of the systems when you turn the car off. You save some energy at the cost of waiting for some parts of the car to power up when you get in the car.

Bruce.

Are you still on MCU1, and if so, have you had the eMMC replaced? If you're still on MCU1 and have not have the eMMC memory recall done, then this could be a symptom of the eMMC memory chip starting to experience more issues.

I have a mid-2016 MS90D. I recall seeing over time it taking longer for the instrument panel to come alive versus the center screen became more common as more "quirks" of the aging memory chip started to pop up. I did have energy savings turned on, so expected some delay, but normally I'd open my rear door first to put in my backpack, and by the time I'd get in the drivers seat, buckled in, the IP would be alive. I did finally decide to bite the bullet and pay for the MCU2 upgrade in early December, so do not have recent experience of it becoming progressively worse.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Are you still on MCU1, and if so, have you had the eMMC replaced? If you're still on MCU1 and have not have the eMMC memory recall done, then this could be a symptom of the eMMC memory chip starting to experience more issues.

I have a mid-2016 MS90D. I recall seeing over time it taking longer for the instrument panel to come alive versus the center screen became more common as more "quirks" of the aging memory chip started to pop up. I did have energy savings turned on, so expected some delay, but normally I'd open my rear door first to put in my backpack, and by the time I'd get in the drivers seat, buckled in, the IP would be alive. I did finally decide to bite the bullet and pay for the MCU2 upgrade in early December, so do not have recent experience of it becoming progressively worse.
yep already had the recall done

I am an impatient person and the faster boot up was the best part of the MCU2 upgrade. 5/2015 build.
Mind you, I had some bubbling and a 3G modem - and the boot up was still the best part.

On another topic.
There is no might - your battery is degraded. Every battery is degraded. It is like death and taxes.
Now a degraded battery has nothing to do with losing range quicker than normal while driving.
First challenge is to define normal. Normal is not the same for everyone. If you have a historic "normal" - like last year and nothing changed that is quite a bit different than range counter goes down 10% faster than actual mileage.
Most common issue is tires. Non - LRR tires, particularly larger summer tires have poor range. Next would be alignment. Third would be some sort of BMS problem not reading the battery properly. That isn't the same thing as degradation. There are rare to zero reports of DU efficiency issues and aerodynamic issues of consequence would probably be obvious - like gaping hole in fender. A wheel bearing of some sort is possible but usually has other symptoms before efficiency is hugely effected.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjj3la