TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Why won't Tesla support local owner's clubs?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Jgdixon, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

Hello everyone
    I chair the Southern Ontario Tesla Owner's Club. We have 70+ members and up until recently got together every two months. Our most successful meeting was attended by 35 people and 29 cars at the Toronto East service centre and showroom. The ex service manager was very supportive. Now I am told we can no longer use their facility. In the past I have asked if we can post a small sign about our club and / or give out info at deliveries etc. The answer was no, that Tesla would then have to support anyone who approached them in a similar manner. This seems like crap to me, we are non profit and can only help to promote the brand. We have a lot of unofficial support from different local Tesla people but it is not enough. The only way I have been able to get the word out is through threads here and on TM forum or by sending PMs to new members etc. Can anyone offer any different experiences? Any idea who I should
    reach out to at the corporate level?
    It seems to me that BMW, Porsche and Mercedes clubs have much more support from the manufacturer level.
    I just don't get it.

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Maybe this won't be very helpful to you but the folks Florida in mostly meet at restaurants, bars or parties at people's houses; much more fun than meeting at a service center. That also provides an opportunity to also support businesses that are being helpful to EV owners with charge stations and the like.

3. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

#3 Jgdixon, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    I am not talking about that type of support. We were offered the service centre and took them up on it as it is such an awesome facility. But now it has been withdrawn after the service manager left. We have had meetings at local rec centers, someone's boardroom etc.
    It is with help contacting owners and spreading the word that I am referring to.

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Just based on what you said Tesla's reasoning was, it sounds like they're looking further than just your group. Your group is operating in such a way that it wouldn't hurt Tesla's brand, but what about the next one somewhere else? Then those guys say 'but you're doing it for the folks in Southern Ontario' ...

They probably need to set up some kind of a program at some point to officially endorse different groups. And until then I suspect you won't see the cooperation you'd like to see.

5. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

If they did that, that would be similar to endorsing your organization. Given the negative reaction they got from the 7forallmankind mailer that was sent out to owners, I think they would now be extremely careful about the use of owner information for promoting third parties.

For the large manufacturers, AFAIK only would endorse large national or international owners clubs (if they even do so at all), not a local ones. They don't even provide links to local ones, only the large national or international ones. I think the typical way to find local owners club would be a connection from the national club (as a branch or at least a link on the national club website).

6. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

I do not expect them to contact owner's or provide their contact details.
    I am talking about a small posting at a service centre or info card given out at delivery.
    We are the best advocates they have. The don't have to officially endorse us. But I believe there are a lot of people who either aren't on the forums or only lurking there. How are they to find out there is a local club they may be interested in?
    Believe me, I have been at this for 18 months and have done most of the recruiting myself to get 70 members.
    But only 1/3 are active and it's like we are a secret. Short of taking out an ongoing ad I don"t know how else to spread the word.

7. bonnie

I spent last Saturday helping the local Tesla sales people at a drive event, held at the Roseville supercharger. A number of Model S owners stopped by during the day to charge. None of them were aware of this forum -- and none of them had any interest.

My point being that not everyone wants to join a car club or a car forum. I think it's great you've found 70 members locally. No argument that you're a great advocate for Tesla. But surely you can see the problem from Tesla's viewpoint. Even giving out an info card implies endorsement. So they do that for you. What about the next owners' club? Do they now have to do that for anyone who asks? Where's the line? Who decides?

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I only have direct experience with the Porsche 356 scene. Porsche gives some modest support to the national 356 Registry club but does not support dozens of local 356 clubs.

I think you are expecting too much of Tesla, and I think Tesla is making the right decision in not providing resources and support to local owner groups. We can be fans and advocates without expecting official factory support.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Liability and general brand risk as well.

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The local BMW dealer supports a Cars & Coffee every month, but that's not just BMW oriented and they have a giant lot in which to do so. Telsa SCs, Store, and Galleries just don't have the space required.

300+ cars show up each month and many visitors. When the weather is nice they have to turn away cars. From what I can gather they only support the BMW club by having the pictures from the events on the website. I suspect this event sells a ton of BMWs because the exhibitors and visitors go in and look at the new cars as well. I guess this is one area where having actual dealers can help.

11. stopcrazypp

Yes, in this case, you might be able to find an independent dealer that's willing to work with a local organization, while not really affecting the branding of the manufacturer. In the Tesla case, any action by service centers or stores reflects on Tesla directly (as they are all owned by Tesla).

It's also the case that Tesla at this point doesn't really need much promotion yet by third parties and the amount of owners are still extremely small relative to other automakers. That will change with the release of Gen 3 and I can see Tesla possibly endorsing some clubs at that point.

12. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

They support next owners club in the same way until they do something that warrants retracting support.

Tesla decides where the line is drawn.

Tesla is not a government entity that needs to have public, well defined rules that treats all parties impartially according to the most stringent non-discrimination standards.

Tesla has no obligations to support local or national clubs but I think they should on ad hoc basis.

It is just good business, particularly since they don't advertise and may need local political support.

13. bonnie

I don't disagree that local clubs support Tesla. Tesla does still support local groups in different ways, supplying local speakers, giving tours of new facilities, handing out swag at group events (to name a few things I've seen) - but not handing out contact information to each new customer. That implies endorsement & I totally get why they might not want to do that.

14. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

I could not agree more. I am very strong on tesla BUT expect my information to be kept private and not given out to anyone or any organization

15. skdave

skdave Member

Since owners are asked daily about Tesla, I know I am, I would think Tesla would supply a General Fact sheet about Tesla for owners to hand out. Cheap advertising.

16. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

In fairness to the original poster, he is not asking for Tesla to furnish contact information. Here's is all that he is asking for:

That does not in any way violate any privacy concerns. Many establishments have provisions for local businesses to post their business cards. This does not imply any sort of endorsement. It is entirely up to the visitor to contact the posted business if they wish. In this case they would merely have the option of contacting a local Tesla club.

This is a simply request for a very small accommodation. Please, let's not magnify it into something that it is not.

Larry

17. bonnie

Larry, I understood that and have never said that he was asking Tesla to hand out customer information. But a new customer receives a lot of paperwork when taking delivery of a new car. I can understand if Tesla would prefer not to include local car club information in that stack. It's their decision to make and it sounds like they made that decision. Hopefully that will change in the future, but I can understand why they might have made that call.

18. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Correct, I was responding to Chickenlittle who seemed to infer it from your remarks.

Larry

19. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Tesla doesn't have that but there was someone here that made an excellent fact sheet to take to car shows. Someone else will probably remember who that person was.

20. stopcrazypp

Legally there's nothing wrong with that, however for their public image, you can bet there will be plenty of complaining when it seems Tesla does something that is "unfair".