Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why won't Tesla support local owner's clubs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct, I was responding to Chickenlittle who seemed to infer it from your remarks.

Larry
Shouldn't read between the lines (or infer), the words are on the lines. I am just implying what I wrote. My local infinity dealer gave out my phone number and name (actually probably sold it) to warrantee groups once the original warrantee expired. Love those calls to my cell number marketing additional extensions. Would not want tesla to give out lists for any reason. I didn't say you said that they should

As a member of the Southern Ontario Club, it is somewhat curious as to why Tesla has apparently withdrawn support. We had two very successful meetings at the Toronto East Showroom. Tesla even brought in tables and chairs and provided staff to give updates and run a Q&A session. They seemed quite willing and, in fact, eager to do this for us. Perhaps they were told to "cease and desist" by Corporate. Bonnie makes some good points and maybe the Toronto folks just jumped the gun a bit. Who knows?

I "get" why TM would be very hesitant to incur the liability, brand, and fairness issues to support local clubs. I think their position, however, restricts the success of the company. A few months ago, the Arizona legislature considered a bill that would have allowed direct sales in the state. It died a quick death. Support from even a few of the 500 Tesla owners in the state could have made a huge difference, but we were neither informed, nor was our support requested. If "all politics are local," Tesla ought to find a way to use their loyal customer base to promote Tesla's interests.

There are lots of things they *could* do.

Right now Tesla employees are working insane hours on stuff like Model X and delivery of cars and opening Superchargers and such. This thread started with the OP wondering why they weren't supporting local clubs. My guess is they don't have the time right now to put the right structure in place, and until then, this is the easiest path to keep the company brand protected. With time, I'm sure they will harness the power of the local clubs.

I am pretty sure it all boils down to liability.

Tesla has to be careful about non-sanctioned events. The simple fact that a Tesla Employee provided a handout about your group, or let your group use the facility, implies sanction. Now this is all well in good, and I am sure that your group is awesome, full of good information and knowledge, and overall means well. But the fact that Tesla does not know EXACTLY what you're doing is why they don't want people to believe you are an extension of the manufacturer.

I had to answer the phones at Tesla HQ for many years, and implying that a website, or a forum, or any other "Pro" Tesla material was officially "Tesla" was a big a concern.

I appreciate all your input. However maybe I shouldn't have used the word endorse in the thread title.
We aren't asking for anyone's time, we don't want private information.
Just imagine one or two small signs in the delivery area and service waiting area.
It would say something like "Are you interested in connecting with other tesla Owners?"
Then list a brief description on what we do and add contact info.
I built up 2/3 of our membership by posting on TMC and sending PMs.
We had a large influx after the previous service manager allowed a sign and enrollment sheet when Tesla East had their grand opening. He is gone now and I fear so is that type of support.

The Seattle Store and a 'meet the owners' type of event recently. We used that opportunity to meet prospective buyers and other owners and let them know about TMC and the PNW Google Group. Something like that might work until they get more involved with local clubs.