Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why won't the map hold my zoom setting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd love someone from Tesla to explain to me why the map refuses to hold my zoom setting. I prefer to have it zoomed in to maximum close, but the moment the screen refreshes after driving a bit, it's back to the semi-distant zoom.

Perhaps I could understand it if I had a destination set and the map was zooming in and out dynamically when appropriate, but it does this with no destination set, and all the time

What's the point of putting a zoom function on the map if it clears the setting every 2 minutes?

I'd love someone from Tesla to explain to me why the map refuses to hold my zoom setting. I prefer to have it zoomed in to maximum close, but the moment the screen refreshes after driving a bit, it's back to the semi-distant zoom.

Perhaps I could understand it if I had a destination set and the map was zooming in and out dynamically when appropriate, but it does this with no destination set, and all the time

What's the point of putting a zoom function on the map if it clears the setting every 2 minutes?
I believe it automatically zooms out when you go over a certain speed. I assume this is because at high speeds the screen would move too fast and/or take too much bandwidth.

Then it should automatically zoom back in when I go below a certain speed, since that's what I set it at.

This is one of the disadvantages of requiring an LTE connection and Google maps - if you have a poor or nonexistent signal strength, then your maps can't refresh on the fly or don't load at all. I don't understand why we can't get a core set of map data in the car that's just supplemented by Google.

Reactions: vandacca
I rebooted our car using the brake and two steering wheel buttons, and that solved the problem. The map now stays in full zoom permanently (or wherever I set it).

Perhaps in the future I'll remember to try rebooting first before posting about a glitch. I keep forgetting this car is just a computer on wheels.

However, it would have been nice if just one person on this forum could have tried it in their own car and reported back that it should work! Aren't we all supposed to be helping each other make the best use of our Teslas?

I should note that after rebooting, Slacker now only plays one song at a time then appears to log me out. I have to re-select the station to play another song. Anyone else have this problem or solved it in the past?

I rebooted our car using the brake and two steering wheel buttons, and that solved the problem. The map now stays in full zoom permanently (or wherever I set it).
You possibly have the map in "Trip Mode" where it keeps the location of the car and the location of the destination on the screen by zooming. It's an icon near the top, looks like a blue square with a curvy road. Press it to change to north up or heading up instead.
Problem was solved, but that's a very useful tip.

Instead of holding the two scroll wheels with the brake depressed, you hold the two buttons above the scroll wheels ("skip forward" and "voice command") with the brake depressed. According to the Tesla tech to whom we spoke, the dash computer is separate from the main display computer.

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca