Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WHy would anyone buy a MS Plaid????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having driven MSs for eight years, I decided to step to the Taycan and ordered one in April. In view of that car's overwhelming issues, I cancelled it last week and ordered a MS Long Range. For a great electric car Tesla is still the only game in town and has an 8 year head start on the competition, all of whom are mired in legacy issues.

I have just read its new and excellent owners' manual cover to cover. As far as I can see, the Plaid and LR are identical in every respect but:

The plaid has a third motor and a fiber wrapped motor
Very slight differences in the transmissions.
Torque Vectoring (which the Porsche people told me is not worth paying for: ”get real wheel steering instead”)

So for $55,000 (including tax) you get 1 second faster 0-60, which is soooo useful.

Why would anyone with a modicum of common sense do that? I think I know the answer to that question.

Well, they have no common sense. It is a question of value optimization. The Plaid S has naught to do with value. The Plaid is for men who believe that the cart will make their Johnson longer and hot chicks will start taking their clothes off the minute they see them in a Plaid. People like that have not even a modicum of common sense. The other explanation is that there are some potential buyers that are so wealthy that common sense has nothing to do with the decision to spend $130K. These are the ones like Jay Leno who have a gargantuan garage with 25 performance and antique cars. I really don't imagine that they'll sell more than a couple of thousand of the the Plaids, maybe fewer.
Then the BIG question comes when Elon releases a 600-mile, 2-seat, jet-assist takeoff Roadster 2 for >$200K. That leaves out almost all of the dumbasses who think it'll make their cocks bigger and whittles the market down to Jay Leno, some Arabian oil sheiks, a few Russian crime lords, and the dudes who bought Bitcoin at $10.
Why so hostile? Why do you care?

I look at it as much more profit for Tesla to keep making great products. And that’s a good thing. I’m grateful for those buyers.

Have you driven the plaid? It’s much more than just the 1 second difference 0-60. The top end pull is equally as impressive.

Why so hostile? Why do you care?

I look at it as much more profit for Tesla to keep making great products. And that’s a good thing. I’m grateful for those buyers.

Have you driven the plaid? It’s much more than just the 1 second difference 0-60. The top end pull is equally as impressive.
With a grand total of 10 posts in 7.5 years, I'd venture to say it smacks of trolling :)

Reactions: Gixx1300R
So for $55,000 (including tax) you get 1 second faster 0-60, which is soooo useful.
It’s actually a good deal less than a second, given Tesla’s selective application of 1-foot rollout to the Plaid but not the LR, to make them appear to have a larger performance difference than they actually do. Marketing lies.

Why would anyone with a modicum of common sense do that?
Paying more to be fastest is older than the automobile itself. Nothing new here, nothing to see. Move along.

What about YOUR ego makes you feel compelled to pass judgment?

Having driven MSs for eight years, I decided to step to the Taycan and ordered one in April. In view of that car's overwhelming issues, I cancelled it last week and ordered a MS Long Range. For a great electric car Tesla is still the only game in town and has an 8 year head start on the competition, all of whom are mired in legacy issues.

I have just read its new and excellent owners' manual cover to cover. As far as I can see, the Plaid and LR are identical in every respect but:

Torque Vectoring (which the Porsche people told me is not worth paying for: ”get real wheel steering instead”)

Why would anyone with a modicum of common sense do that? I think I know the answer to that question.

Well, they have no common sense. It is a question of value optimization. The Plaid S has naught to do with value. The Plaid is for men who believe that the cart will make their Johnson longer and hot chicks will start taking their clothes off the minute they see them in a Plaid. People like that have not even a modicum of common sense. The other explanation is that there are some potential buyers that are so wealthy that common sense has nothing to do with the decision to spend $130K. These are the ones like Jay Leno who have a gargantuan garage with 25 performance and antique cars. I really don't imagine that they'll sell more than a couple of thousand of the the Plaids, maybe fewer.
Then the BIG question comes when Elon releases a 600-mile, 2-seat, jet-assist takeoff Roadster 2 for >$200K. That leaves out almost all of the dumbasses who think it'll make their cocks bigger and whittles the market down to Jay Leno, some Arabian oil sheiks, a few Russian crime lords, and the dudes who bought Bitcoin at $10.
People will buy it because they just can. Most people won't pay an extra $55K for 1 second faster 0-60; but some will. I think Tesla could charge an extra $75K and people will still buy it.

Reactions: TravelFree
A bit misleading? Sure if you don’t read the fine print. Lies? No
I mean, I’m pretty comfortable with “lie”. The car can’t do 0-60 in 1.98 seconds and will never be able to. Quoting a 6-60 time and calling it 0-60 is really just a lie.

Although I’ll agree using that lie selectively to make a performance difference seem larger than it is is definitely misleading. ;)

Anyone have the 0-150mph times of LR vs. Plaid? I was debating what OP was asking, but figured the extra 50k was worth it to have the car a little sooner especially if the top end pull is better. If the top end pull is the same, 1/4 very close, and 0-60 less than 1 second apart, I agree it's not a great use of money, but money is so cheap these days, who cares.....

You ok bro? Prayers sent.

The Plaid is for men who believe that the cart will make their Johnson longer and hot chicks will start taking their clothes off the minute they see them in a Plaid
So, srsm, are you telling me the Plaid I've ordered WON'T DO THIS?
If you aren't sure, I'm going ahead. Even a 1% chance makes it worth it!
All the best.
Regards,
David.

The Plaid is for men who believe that the cart will make their Johnson longer and hot chicks will start taking their clothes off the minute they see them in a Plaid...

methinks-he-doth-protest-too-much.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec and oktane

<snip>

Tesla is so far ahead of the competition that the new Model S can't compete with my 2017. I've got 72 amp AC charging, a beautiful BUILT-IN center screen that looks like it belongs in the car, A STEERING WHEEL, the most awesome sunroof ever offered in a 4 door sedan, free unlimited supercharging, etc. ... and it looks just like the new one!!! I can't order ANY of these things(at any price) in a new Model S, so WHY would I ever buy another Model S???

Tesla is so far ahead of the competition that the new Model S can't compete with my 2017. I've got 72 amp AC charging, a beautiful BUILT-IN center screen that looks like it belongs in the car, A STEERING WHEEL, the most awesome sunroof ever offered in a 4 door sedan, free unlimited supercharging, etc. ... and it looks just like the new one!!! I can't order ANY of these things(at any price) in a new Model S, so WHY would I ever buy another Model S???
You shouldn’t.

Reactions: plumazul
My data analyst by trade smooth brained ego says to get the Plaid since, duh, it's #1 on paper.

My realist brain however goes 'hol up' that's a $50k price premium! That's a CAR or more than you put down on your first house! Sure the Plaid will be the king of the hill 0-60, and a highway roll race hyper car killer, but if the LR can even get to 80% of that capability I'll call it a HUGE win and it'll be very hard to not put a deposit down on a LR refresh.

--Deep thoughts by a 2018 M3P owner than can afford a Plaid outright.

PS: Patiently waiting on more 0-60, 1/4, roll racing, etc on:
LR vs Plaid
LR vs M3P

Reactions: hcdavis3