Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WHy would anyone buy a MS Plaid????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The question is answered by saying," Why Not?" Now, list all the differences in the Plaid vs non plaid. Then consider, why would you leave that much more of a car on the table? You're already coming to buy the Model S, you pluck the cash down, then your going to leave? It's going to be a while before you come back to the Model S table. For just a few more chips, Take it all back to your corner. This purchase may not happen again, so take the gold.

Reactions: SilverGS
(not moderation content or representing TMC or anyone other than the regular poster, jjrandorin)

OP, I think you need a few more question marks in your thread title, to really drive home your incredulousness. You obviously were going for a specific type of response, what with the multiple question marks, but you might as well "lean in" on that if you are going to do it.

Like:

WHy would anyone buy a MS Plaid?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????​

Friends have asked me: Don't you wish you had waited to get the Plaid? My quick answer is Hell no! I love my 2020 MS LR+ I drive it in "Chill" mode all the time and my range is wonderful. The acceleration still beats everyone else on the road but I find no desire to prove it.

It is so rare I have back seat passengers that when we are tasked to haul the grandkids, we use the M Y which is better suited for back seat passengers. The Y has the center fold down arm rest and if they want a way to keep their ipads charged up.

I'm sure everyone who can spend the extra $55,000 for the Plaid needs to punch it on the highway to 200 mph so they can out run the cops. Now if they could only figure out how to jam the cop's radio so he can't call up a road block. Maybe Tesla can add a police radio jammer in the Plaid. But do all Plaid owners drive 200mph on the highway? Or do all Plaid owners only drive on the track because they are licensed NASCAR race drivers? Probably not! I think the guy with the easy money buying the Plaid has a self esteem need to impress his buddies that he has the fastest car on the highway, but secretly hopes none will want him to prove it because he has never actually driven the Plaid that fast on the highway and is scared to test his ability to drive it that fast.

Meanwhile, I love my M S and am so happy I was able to buy it with free for life Supercharging. Now you know why my Tesla M S is named TravelFree. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: SilverGS and Wol747
Friends have asked me: Don't you wish you had waited to get the Plaid? My quick answer is Hell no! I love my 2020 MS LR+ I drive it in "Chill" mode all the time and my range is wonderful. The acceleration still beats everyone else on the road but I find no desire to prove it.

It is so rare I have back seat passengers that when we are tasked to haul the grandkids, we use the M Y which is better suited for back seat passengers. The Y has the center fold down arm rest and if they want a way to keep their ipads charged up.

I'm sure everyone who can spend the extra $55,000 for the Plaid needs to punch it on the highway to 200 mph so they can out run the cops. Now if they could only figure out how to jam the cop's radio so he can't call up a road block. Maybe Tesla can add a police radio jammer in the Plaid. But do all Plaid owners drive 200mph on the highway? Or do all Plaid owners only drive on the track because they are licensed NASCAR race drivers? Probably not! I think the guy with the easy money buying the Plaid has a self esteem need to impress his buddies that he has the fastest car on the highway, but secretly hopes none will want him to prove it because he has never actually driven the Plaid that fast on the highway and is scared to test his ability to drive it that fast.

Meanwhile, I love my M S and am so happy I was able to buy it with free for life Supercharging. Now you know why my Tesla M S is named TravelFree. :)
So what you're saying is that if someone disagrees with the above, it's not ok? Why do you think anyone that want's to buy a Plaid should feel the same way as you??? :rolleyes:

Reactions: oktane
look at it this way . if you are going to use it at a drag strip and or a track then Plaid IS the thing ( I hope there is an upgrade for that dynamic rear tail :) ) . now if it is your daily driver. um the LR might be a more reasonable choice. if you are doing both , then prepare to get a lot more tires. years ago I raced my daily driver in Auto cross on the weekends and wore through sets of perrrellis and a new clutch in a couple of weeks. it also felt weird to drive it to work each day and then have to put a helmet on in the same car on the weekends. iI that top end pull is true then to race on the track you may be required to put in a roll cage, and then the daily drive isn't quite the same. There are track rated porsches and Mercedes M's so Tesla needs a hi end one too . till ( if?) the roadster comes out. if you race a track 3, Y , or a Plaid S , Bring a trailer . you save charging time :).. oh and my 2017 S 90 D ( now upgraded) is still plenty fast for a daily driver . I am tempted to upgrade. when used plaids come available.... from 3 seconds to 1 I think Id notice :) of and for me the 0-60 wasn't the fun part it is 30-90 . to each their own !

So what you're saying is that if someone disagrees with the above, it's not ok? Why do you think anyone that want's to buy a Plaid should feel the same way as you???
The only person I expect to agree is my wife and when we don't agree we work it out. I just stated how I feel about spending all that money on something I would never use just to say mine is faster than yours.

Can anyone here explain why they are going to buy a Plaid so I and others can have a better understanding? Please don't say if you have no plans to buy a Plaid. I'd really like to know.

The only person I expect to agree is my wife and when we don't agree we work it out. I just stated how I feel about spending all that money on something I would never use just to say mine is faster than yours.

Can anyone here explain why they are going to buy a Plaid so I and others can have a better understanding? Please don't say if you have no plans to buy a Plaid. I'd really like to know.
Why does anyone buy a Bugatti Chiron? Why does anyone buy a $10M home vs $2M home?

Because they can and want to. It's really very simple. Not every purchase is dictated by logic or need. Are you not on earth? 😁

You drive in chill mode!!!
You are the total opposite of a what a Plaid buyer is. So to understand, try being the total opposite of yourself I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Sounds like you are just trying to make yourself feel better about your 2020 purchase. This is not a competition and your car is still fast and great. Enjoy whatever car you choose to drive. Live and let live.

I want to drive the fastest production car on the planet and am sold on EV over ICE. Plaid seems like a bargain compared to the Taycan. There isn't anything even nearly as fast or quick. I'm not a Tesla fanboy, but despite all the hype from other car manufacturers about their EV, nothing has materialized. So Plaid it is. I was bummed not to get 520 mi range with the Plaid+.

Reactions: SilverGS and croman
You are the total opposite of a what a Plaid buyer is. So to understand, try being the total opposite of yourself I guess.
So why did YOU order a Plaid? And don't tell me I have to change my personality to understand.

What I see every day on the highway are people with so much money they arrogantly believe they are expert at driving a car like a Plaid M S on the highway, reckless lane changing at 30-50 mph faster than the speed limit in heavy traffic because their money makes them so. I see it in these threads. The arrogance of their wealth makes them nothing more than a danger to society.

YES, you are correct, I am a total opposite of a race car driver and really opposite of those arrogant speeders who believe their money makes them a highly skilled race car driver.

Sounds like you are just trying to make yourself feel better about your 2020 purchase.
Believe me, there is absolutely nothing in either the Plaid or the 2021 MS LR I like better than what I have in my M S. My M S is not perfect but adequate for my wish list from the factory. I'm also a customizer. I've added a number of after market additions that fixed what the factory release lacked. Like seat back pockets similar to what's in our new M Y. I have a 12v always on socket in the trunk and frunk for my cooler. I added several USB ports for my road trip GoPros near the rear view mirror. Of course xpel nano ceramic on all the glass heat block and tint and PPF and Ceramic exterior. Adding convenience accessories is my fun.

I want to drive the fastest production car on the planet and am sold on EV over ICE. Plaid seems like a bargain compared to the Taycan.
If you mean on the highway putting all other drivers lives at risk then I hope you lose your license with too many tickets for speeding. Accidents from speeders tie up traffic for hours every day due to the accidents they cause. If you meant on the race track, then I respect your right to enjoy what the Plaid can do.

If you mean on the highway putting all other drivers lives at risk then I hope you lose your license with too many tickets for speeding. Accidents from speeders tie up traffic for hours every day due to the accidents they cause. If you meant on the race track, then I respect your right to enjoy what the Plaid can do.

Acceleration can be used to an advantage to increase safety on the road or highway. Just because someone drives fast, doesn't mean they are a danger. It's all about being responsible with the power and considerate to other drivers on the road. I'm sure you'd agree that a very competent driver going 100 mph may be safer than an elderly demented driver going 25 mph. Speed is only one factor in safety. Attention, competence, skill, awareness of the road and conditions, may play a larger role.

Reactions: SilverGS