Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why would people trade in their Tesla for an ICE car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why everyone thinks this is a case of a lying salesman. Perhaps the numbers weren't accurate, but is it THAT hard to believe that not everyone who owns a Tesla magically becomes an EV advocate and Tesla supporter for life?

As others have reasonably pointed out: people trade in cars all the time, and the Model S is far from perfect for all needs.

Not sure why everyone thinks this is a case of a lying salesman. Perhaps the numbers weren't accurate, but is it THAT hard to believe that not everyone who owns a Tesla magically becomes an EV advocate and Tesla supporter for life?

As others have reasonably pointed out: people trade in cars all the time, and the Model S is far from perfect for all needs.
Agreed. I drive by a major BMW dealership in the heart of "Tesla-country" in the Bay Area almost daily. I frequently see a Model S on the lot.

Edit: Also, I'll note that I rarely see them there for more than a day or two in a row. I think they turn them over quickly, or ship them out. Maybe they don't want them on the lot? Not sure.

Car sales person??? Do you think he was truthful?

That was exactly what I was thinking! So if they say 11 it is probably 1 and "through the years"? That comment right there shows how little I accept the dealers comment. How many years has tesla been selling cars? Just over 2 years for S, and 5-7 more for 1500 roadsters.
Shows the ignorance of dealers and sad that people believe them.

My biggest issue with a Tesla vs a ICE is pretty much long term, repairs outside warranty etc.

It will not measure up to a fully equipped BMW 5 (similar class) except for the electric bit... and we are talking the more expensive hybrid BMW that does a lot of electric too... so yeah :)

I think it's hard to make that claim with any certainty. There is no real long-term info on the Model S, and little regarding repairs outside warranty in that the only applicable cars are well-used high-mileage vehicles.

It could be worse, it could be better, we just don't know. Certainly there are fewer moving parts, which will help substantially. The question is if that will be offset by Tesla being a new automaker and still learning what works and what doesn't, especially in regards to their new technology.

I think the Model S is different than a lot of other hybrid/electric cars in that it's not as explicitly associated with conspicuous frugality. The motivation for a lot of people buying a Leaf, Prius or Volt is they wanted to be frugal and environmentally-conscious, and wanted everyone else to know it. The Model S, on the other hand, is seen as more of a status symbol for a lot of people. The fact that it's electric is secondary to it being new, cool and trendy. Status and trend-chasing buyers tend to be flighty and fickle, and I could see some people that bought the Model S on a whim, and then grow tired of it and want to change.

My biggest issue with a Tesla vs a ICE is pretty much long term, repairs outside warranty etc.

It will not measure up to a fully equipped BMW 5 (similar class) except for the electric bit... and we are talking the more expensive hybrid BMW that does a lot of electric too... so yeah :)
BMW repairs outside warranty are why some people stop buying BMWs.

"Except for the electric bit"? Isn't that why most people buy a Tesla? Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

There's multiple reasons why someone may have to ditch their Tesla, the #1 I suppose might just they decide it's not for them.
1. Personal reasons - You just don't like it for some reason (different strokes for different folks and all that)
2. Financial reasons - Either change in financing or buyers remorse / guilt over to the expense
3. Logistics reasons - Some change in life (job, etc) that changes your compatibility with the current range & charging network. If you got a new job that required you to drive hundreds of miles a day making client visits, in an area with no superchargers, it might be a deal breaker.

Interesting thread. My thoughts on why people trade in cars to BMW for what they are worth:-

1. It's an expensive mistake - trading a Tesla into a BMW garage is going to cost you dearly. If you were short of cash you would sell privately, so these people are not poor.

2. Poor research - you buy an all electric car without doing the due diligence. It must be a hell of a surprise once you have taken delivery and then discover every problem that is reported in these forums by trial and error. You sometimes see evidence of this, particularly on this forum where, for example, people scream where is the autopilot software and threaten to sue Tesla if they don't get it NOW! OR Why hasn't it got a heated steering wheel, I'm selling the car! In some cases, I am sure they do sell.

3. I'm bored - there are some people in this World whose attention span is short and sell when they are bored of their latest toy. They will claim at dinner parties "I am SO over Tesla!" Avoid these people at all costs as their boredom will extend to you fairly shortly.

4. Patience, Latitude and Forgiveness - most of us do our research and we are mentally prepared for the Tesla ownership experience. We will put up with the trials and tribulations of a new power source and a new car manufacturer, count to 10 (or higher) and move on (with the help of exemplary Tesla after sales support). Most modern cars these days do not go wrong but the Tesla does. You cannot own cutting technology that is updated constantly without accepting that this is part of the deal. Some people simply will not put up with problems but this is probably because they have made the mistake of no/poor research.

Once BMW bring out a car that does not "cheat" with a hybrid/range extender engine, then I am sure we will see more trade ins as a true All Electric BMW will muddy the waters in terms of choice. However, clearly Tesla are a company that enjoy and thrive on taking risks so they will continue to have a substantial lead in technology over all other car manufacturers. I relish this as most of us do and look forward to a future which does not include trading my Model S into a BMW dealer!

My sense is that there are EV evangelists and there is everybody else. I don't think I have to go in to detail over the evangelists, but in the "everybody else" camp there are going to be folks who like the car, and those who don't or want to try something new.

This is not a bad thing. I've always said that if an EV car maker only targeted the eco-minded conservationist, they would forever be limited to that slice of the market. Tesla's objective of making "the best car that just happens to be electric" has opened up the realm of EVs to broader audiences and has resulted in the general car buying public now considering, and even buying, an electric car whereas they may never have considered an EV otherwise. Once that happens, the car competes on it's (real or perceived) merits just like every other offering in the market.

All good points Graham...the only thing I wonder about is that if you get "bored" with your Model S, perhaps you need a better hobby...I'd think most folks would get bored far, far more quickly with an ICE, than with a Tesla...:frown:

Interesting thread. My thoughts on why people trade in cars to BMW for what they are worth:-

1. It's an expensive mistake - trading a Tesla into a BMW garage is going to cost you dearly. If you were short of cash you would sell privately, so these people are not poor.

2. Poor research - you buy an all electric car without doing the due diligence. It must be a hell of a surprise once you have taken delivery and then discover every problem that is reported in these forums by trial and error. You sometimes see evidence of this, particularly on this forum where, for example, people scream where is the autopilot software and threaten to sue Tesla if they don't get it NOW! OR Why hasn't it got a heated steering wheel, I'm selling the car! In some cases, I am sure they do sell.

3. I'm bored - there are some people in this World whose attention span is short and sell when they are bored of their latest toy. They will claim at dinner parties "I am SO over Tesla!" Avoid these people at all costs as their boredom will extend to you fairly shortly.

4. Patience, Latitude and Forgiveness - most of us do our research and we are mentally prepared for the Tesla ownership experience. We will put up with the trials and tribulations of a new power source and a new car manufacturer, count to 10 (or higher) and move on (with the help of exemplary Tesla after sales support). Most modern cars these days do not go wrong but the Tesla does. You cannot own cutting technology that is updated constantly without accepting that this is part of the deal. Some people simply will not put up with problems but this is probably because they have made the mistake of no/poor research.

Once BMW bring out a car that does not "cheat" with a hybrid/range extender engine, then I am sure we will see more trade ins as a true All Electric BMW will muddy the waters in terms of choice. However, clearly Tesla are a company that enjoy and thrive on taking risks so they will continue to have a substantial lead in technology over all other car manufacturers. I relish this as most of us do and look forward to a future which does not include trading my Model S into a BMW dealer!

In the absence of a significant upgrade to the Tesla, I could imagine myself moving on to another car in three or four years. I love my car very much, but eventually there is always some allure to the new and different. Perhaps with the never-ending process of downloaded software updates, I'll never tire of my P85D.

In the absence of a significant upgrade to the Tesla, I could imagine myself moving on to another car in three or four years. I love my car very much, but eventually there is always some allure to the new and different. Perhaps with the never-ending process of downloaded software updates, I'll never tire of my P85D.
It's now less that 30 days short of two years and I'm not tired of my S85. Ask me in another ten years.