Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why would someone choose a Polestar 2 over a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it bother you then that Tesla knows your whereabouts at all times when you're driving the vehicle? No hiding from that.

As for reasons why I could possibly choose the Polestar 2 over the model 3.
-Matrix lights
-Power liftgate (w/ bumper sensor)
-Hatchback
-Tighter fit and finish
-Dual screens
-I prefer the interior of the Polestar 2 mostly, I'd miss the blade vent in the model 3, but the polestar 2 interior design looks more luxurious. The model 3 is a cross between an Apple store and sterility.
-Volvo is known for their ergonomics, this remains to be seen if these new seats will be as comfortable as the model 3
-I surmise that Google will take advantage of the smart home integration somehow (this may be a plus or negative depending on who you ask)
-Superior voice controls
-Superior voice assistance
-Superior media controls
-Spotify!
-360 camera
-Wireless charging
-Based on other Volvo's, I'm guessing that the side mirrors will also be better than the model 3
-Based on other Volvo's, they will have the windshield wipers with rain sensors.

All that being said, I would still probably again choose the model 3.
At that cost, 0-60 in 4.7 is very slow compared to the M3P and by the time this comes out, still it'd be 3-5k more expensive than the 3D after tax credits.

Definitely more of a cruiser luxury vehicle than a fast nimble one coming from Tesla that has more range and better looking exterior.
The wifes XC60 has rain detecting wipers that actually work. Interestingly they also squirt out of the wiper blades instead of thingys on the hood. There's allot of similarities to my 3, and it beats it in many ways.

Volvo (and Polestar) is a company owned by Geely. It is a Chinese company, operating with Volvo brand as a front.

Without Geely, Volvo would have been bankrupt years ago.

While they do have access to same winter testing designers and facilities as other brands, I don't think this gives them any edge.

Since decisions and production is much in China nowadays, I haven't considered them European brand for a while.

But that’s like saying Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti, Rolls Royce and even Chrysler (1998-2007) are German, and Land Rover and Jaguar are Indian.

But that’s like saying Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti, Rolls Royce and even Chrysler (1998-2007) are German, and Land Rover and Jaguar are Indian.
Polestar will be built entirely in China. Power in decision making is in China. Call a spade a spade.

Brands you mention operate differently, there is no direct comparison. E.g. JLR has only a knock down kit assembly line in India. Also, German owned European brands are still European by culture (emission testing, anyone?) and supply chain.

Polestar will be built entirely in China. Power in decision making is in China. Call a spade a spade.

Brands you mention operate differently, there is no direct comparison. E.g. JLR has only a knock down kit assembly line in India. Also, German owned European brands are still European by culture (emission testing, anyone?) and supply chain.

I don't think you have as much insight into the inner workings of Polestar as you imply you do. If China is "calling all the shots" and it's a Chinese designed product then why is Polestar HQ in Sweden and not Hanghzou China?

• Funny
Reactions: Saimaannorppa
Will Polestar be the first Chinese owned and China manufactured auto brand in US? They probably won't market it as such.

Tesla's Chinese factory will be running in a few years

GM was ahead of it's time manufacturing in China for US market.

50,000k cars a year is hardly a Model 3 competitor. More like a compliance car for California. Steal some market share from BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. I pity the fool that spends that kind of money and not buy a Model 3 Performance.
Supposedly volvo is headed towards becoming an all electric company.

Polestar itself also wouldn't be a compliance car company if all they make is electrics?

Supposedly volvo is headed towards becoming an all electric company.

Polestar itself also wouldn't be a compliance car company if all they make is electrics?

You're right, Volvo is going ahead and states they'll go all electric - only time will tell if they're serious or not. Volvo is a luxury brand anyway, so they should be okay making high end low volume that satisfy their base. It'll be bigger companies that'll die off once they realize the car buyers actually gives a damn about emissions. With such slim margins that require sales of millions of vehicles, having Tesla cannibalize 400K units a year has to hurt.

It's an uphill (Free Solo) style battle for all these traditional car makers. It's good old Blackberry vs iPhone moments. Who's the last to convert will be left in the dust.

Uh, no. Volvo has stated that they will electrify all of their cars by 20xx, but that does not mean an all-electric company. It just means a mix all of BEV's and hybrids.

(gotta work on those critical reading skills.)
Ahh good call.
Volvo clarifies electrification plan, aims for 50% of sales to be ‘fully electric’ by 2025

Please don't take my previous comments to mean I wish I had bought a volvo instead of my 3. It is nicer from a luxury perspective by far though, and has many features I wish were available on the 3. But at it's heat it's just a turbo charged and supercharged four cylinder :)

The Polestar 2 is not a bad car, but why would someone choose that over a Model 3? Especially since it won't be available until 2020?

The Polestar 2 is a Google-powered all-electric Tesla competitor - The Verge

Several obvious reasons why someone would choose Polestar over Tesla Model 3:

1) moderate-to-severe Volvophilia. Milder degrees will not suffice given its ugly, overweight underperforming fat-ass nature
2) someone who has an untreated addiction to collecting fugly cars
3) pole dancer with accountant convinced that entire purchase could be written off as advertising cost
4) someone who believes that EVs can be created from ICE templates by stuffing a battery and Electric motor in them - tip-off to this inadequate but still popular design approach is retention of brand Grille (especially if it's ugly)

tip-off to this inadequate but still popular design approach is retention of brand Grille (especially if it's ugly)
Don't know why so many are bashing grills on electric cars.
1. Electric cars still need an air intake for cooling the battery
2. The Polestar's grill is not that big. Its quite slim (flat) unlike the hideous one Lexus puts on all their cars.
3. The Model 3 also has a grill but it is low under the nose so its hard to see.

Reactions: remlemasi
The Polestar 2’s secret weapon against the Tesla Model 3 is native Android Auto

THE POLESTAR 2’S SECRET WEAPON AGAINST THE TESLA MODEL 3 IS NATIVE ANDROID AUTO

... on an 11" screen !!!
... with Spotify !!
... and don't forget that big ass grill in the front! ??

polestar2_geneva19_vladsavov8.jpg

Meh?

Don't know why so many are bashing grills on electric cars.
1. Electric cars still need an air intake for cooling the battery
2. The Polestar's grill is not that big. Its quite slim (flat) unlike the hideous one Lexus puts on all their cars.
3. The Model 3 also has a grill but it is low under the nose so its hard to see.

Except that the Model 3's Grill is actually invisible as such. And to use the Lexus Fishface Predator Grill as a standard and to say that the Polestar Grille isn't that bad is kind of like saying someone doesn't lie as much as Trump.

There are two other problems of course. One is that dynamically and in terms of performance the Polestar isn't in the same universe as the model 3, and secondly, it's just plain ugly. I think the model 3 is on the other hand a car that looks like an electric Ferrari. Call me biased but I don't think it's serious competition. And that's before we even get to the question of how you're going to charge the damn thing and whether or not their battery warranty is any good.