Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Would You Buy A Model X over an AWD Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitly would by an Model X over an Model S because of the 3 seat rows. An Model S AWD would be very nice option too, but I definitly would not like to wait from now until this is developed. Maybe the second generation of Model S that replaces my first generation can be then considered to have an AWD.

Can you drive through 6 " of water in the X?? The first few inches of rain in Humboldt made an 8: puddle on my way to work a few weeks ago. I was thinking if I had my S I couldn't have gone to work that day, and that was a weak storm. We should get 6" of actual rain tonight-tomorrow in the north

edit: just 1" in < 1 hour left an 18" deep puddle flowing past the spot I want to park my S :0 and a 12" + puddle to splash through in my Rav on the way to work!

Last edited:
I have a Roadster (about to be sold so I can put the S into that spot in the garage), and I have both an S and an X reserved. The S and the X feel very different to me.

The X will become my wife's car, hopefully replacing both her daily driver (BMW 535 Gran Turismo) and our do-everything people-carrier trip-slayer Honda Odyssey. The Odyssey will remain at our home, but as a third car when I happen to need lots more space than what the S gives me and also as a loaner for friends and family who visit us. Major points of attraction in the X include the real third row, the lifting rear doors, the additional cargo space, and the higher viewpoint and ride height. I'll probably get her the Performance version without telling her... she'll never come back in the house. :-D

Thanks, Larry! Remind me to buy you lunch sometime, I'm impressed with all the work you've done on the Florida club.

I have S #459 and X #411. Neither one is a Signature.

I asked Tesla to delay the delivery of my S until I'm able to sell my Roadster, because I simply have no place to put two cars. They agreed immediately, which is par for the course: I've received nothing less than stellar customer service from them. Delaying mine also gets other people their cars just a hair sooner, and they know my reservation is still active so they haven't lost anything.

Thanks, Larry! Remind me to buy you lunch sometime, I'm impressed with all the work you've done on the Florida club.

I have S #459 and X #411. Neither one is a Signature.

I asked Tesla to delay the delivery of my S until I'm able to sell my Roadster, because I simply have no place to put two cars. They agreed immediately, which is par for the course: I've received nothing less than stellar customer service from them. Delaying mine also gets other people their cars just a hair sooner, and they know my reservation is still active so they haven't lost anything.

You know you're able to trade in your Roadster now? Tesla announced they're taking Roadsters on trade-in from people buying Model S.

No idea if the prices are fair market value but the offer was made.

Tesla will take Roadster trade-ins for Model S

Why an X over an S (with AWD all around)? The way I see it, there isn't anything I want to do with an S that I can't also do with an X, but there are a few things I will do with the X that don't really work with the S (throwing in an air mattress and going on a road trip for instance).

With every other pair of cars like this, we would be making a tradeoff of more space / roominess for less efficiency (gas mileage), and then finding the balance point that works for us. The way I see it, when I'll be north of 80 MPGe either way (most likely), and when I will further be generating all of the electricity myself that goes into the car, efficiency disappears from the equation.

So then the choice becomes - do I want more space or less? With no downside to more space, I choose more :biggrin:

(sadly, that also means I choose to wait for around a year and a half - ugh!)

Why an X over an S (with AWD all around)? The way I see it, there isn't anything I want to do with an S that I can't also do with an X, but there are a few things I will do with the X that don't really work with the S (throwing in an air mattress and going on a road trip for instance).

With every other pair of cars like this, we would be making a tradeoff of more space / roominess for less efficiency (gas mileage), and then finding the balance point that works for us. The way I see it, when I'll be north of 80 MPGe either way (most likely), and when I will further be generating all of the electricity myself that goes into the car, efficiency disappears from the equation.

So then the choice becomes - do I want more space or less? With no downside to more space, I choose more :biggrin:

(sadly, that also means I choose to wait for around a year and a half - ugh!)

Someone recently posted on a roadtrip with their S that they slept (or napped) in the back, with the rear seat folded down, quite comfortably. Can't find the post though...

Someone recently posted on a roadtrip with their S that they slept (or napped) in the back, with the rear seat folded down, quite comfortably. Can't find the post though...

That seemed doable when I examined the rear space, but you'd want something to smooth out the bump from the folded-down rear seat. A thermarest, rolled-up towel, or something similar would probably be sufficient. The model X's full lay-flat back will be better still.

Last edited:

Here is the post

Had to be in Los Angeles Monday afternoon... decided to drive there in the morning from home in Saratoga, CA. Drove back that same night. Overall 745 miles in 18 hours. Only doable thanks to Supercharger network. 5 visits. Gilroy, Harris, Tejon, then on way home, an RV park for an hour on a N14-50, then Tejon and Harris SC's to home.

Car was great, and comfortable, for such a long extended drive. Got to learn lots about it during that time.

A few tidbits:

Napping while charging:
if you're stuck at a SuperCharger late at night with little open/interesting around you (I'm looking at you Tejon and Harris!), it turns out you can have quite a comfortable nap in your S. (Pulled into Tejon with just 9(!) miles range left on way home arter tooling around L.A. and climbing back up the grade going north).

Instead of reclining the driver's seat to nap, try instead leaving the driver's seat upright and fold your rear seats down flat, and climb in the back. You can quite comfortably sleep in the flat space now created from the trunk to the back seats. Made me want to put a little air mattress and pillow back there... it's actually quite spacious (I'm ~5'10"). Control your audio choices via iphone bluetooth, and quite comfy and functional. Given the amount of storage space you can still have while preserving the trunk and back seat for resting (Frunk plus floor of rear seats), you could actually do a bit of "RV-ing" in your S if you really were so inclined. (Sun shade and privacy shade of some sort for rear windows and hatch and pano roof would be nice additions).​

Easy answer. AWD Model S not offered yet, and no indication as to when one will be... I have both an X and S on reserve but very likely will only take one and not both. But it's a toss up though as to which one I will end up with. Currently I am leaning on the X though, because of the AWD (and ability to haul more people and cargo and the slight ego gratification of being able to blow those porsches and BMWs off the road with an SUV-like vehicle for a while!)

Here's a potential reason not to:
Suppose the Model X gets 15% less highway range than the Model S ( at real highway speeds of 70mph+ )

If you want to do long trips that extra range may be important.

Looking at the website, I'm surprised that the X is only going to be offered in 60 and 85khw. It being a bigger vehicle, and the potential for it being "more of the family vehicle" due to the third row seat, combined with the fact that it's coming out 2 years after the S (tech advancement), I actually expected the X to have something like a 125kwh option. I would think that if the vehicle is slightly larger, AND/OR battery tech has further improved in strength and efficiency, that a 125kwh option is possible and would make sense. I'll keep my hopes up that they are 'secretly working on this' and will make an announcement later this year ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it's not JUST for the dogs. :) But you have to transport them somehow, so you need a vehicle that they fit in.
Enjoy the new pups!

I'll just use my dog harnesses and strap my 2 pit's to the rear-facing child seats in the S ;)

Cross-post from this thread:
Is an AWD Model S Necessary?

At around 41:30 in this video (from a day or two ago), Elon talks about AWD Model S during a Q&A:
Teslaevent on USTREAM: . Other Events

Question from guy an audience: "How about four wheel drive for the Model S? Will that ever be a reality?"

George to Elon: "Think. Think." (points to head)
Elon to George: (laughs) "I know. I know."

Elon's response: "It's not gonna happen soon."