Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why would you buy Model S over Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Utility, utility, utility. I'm not sure my Siberian Husky will like a Model 3 at this point. Your little pups appear like they'll have no problem however.

Yes, I don't think I need Model S because of the dogs :D

Ronja.JPG

Text says "Air condition is on, the dogs are OK".

My thoughts exactly. This is why I want to let go of my MS before people start realizing that in the used car market. I only bought it since MS was the only long range good looking EV at that time.

I bet people would describe MS and M3 is like MB S class and C class. But honestly I think MS is getting a bit old despite updates and there are still no door pockets nor rear cup holders. Usually those Germans have better tech and advanced features in higher-end models, but in Tesla whether you are in economy class or first class you get the same legroom and same advanced features, arguably similar ride comfort? (I only say this since my MS with Air is not magic carpet, rather bumpy)

It would've been nice if Model S /X were 'forever upgradable' - like Tesla used to do OTA dropping 1/10th of 0-60. But lately I get this feeling old Tesla cars are pretty much left behind. I think it started when EM said "wish AP1 cars were upgradable, but no."

Maybe 2.3-4.1s 0-60 thing? But I've never seen any MS /MX owner exercise their speed/power in my area. Maybe I'm not driving at the right time. I kick most of bad drivers butt with my 5.1s model S, but I'm not a fast and furioser. So LR M3 should be more than ok for my daily butt-kicking of most of ICEs.

I would argue Model S looks a bit more elegant though due to the size. But at the same time parking is a pain around here.

Reactions: Matias
We choose a Model S for the awesome hatchback which enables us to put TWO 29er MTBs in the back with their wheels still on. Couldn't do that with a Model 3... or the early Model X.

Because of our 2015 P85D's amazing performance AND it's SUV-like cargo capacity it replaced our Jeep Grand Cherokee AND my 2006 Corvette Z06. Carries everything our Jeep could and is faster than our 3,400 lb. 505hp Corvette Z06 going 0 to 60. Truly amazing.

A Model 3 wouldn't replace EITHER our Corvette or our Jeep Grand Cherokee... especially the current RWD only offering which wouldn't have been nearly as easy to drive in the snow we hit on our winter Breckenridge CO "road trip".

I purchased the Model S simply because it was available in May/June and my 200,000+ mile E-class was not going to last until mid-2018 when a Model 3 would've been ready for me (plus I wouldn't have received the full federal tax credit). So I'd definitely get the model 3 over an S but that choice was not there for me.
This was my case in December 2016. However, now as an owner, I could very feasibly get the full tax credit on the Model 3 with my early place in line, but financially it doesn't make sense to. However, I can't help but to wonder if I could basically break even if I get the base model and full tax credit then sell it in a year or so.

Why would you buy Model S over Model 3?
Because I like the S better than the 3 in pretty much every way, except for the cost.
I personally think, that my next car will be Model 3. I can't justify paying 40-50k more for S.
That is the big one, to be sure. Since I can't afford a new S, I am considering another CPO, this time with a bigger battery for faster Supercharging. Getting a new 3 is tempting however.

Reactions: davidc18
1. significantly better acceleration
2. better looks
3. lots more storage - and it's more accessible with a hatch
4. more range
5. air suspension
6. driving display right in front of you AND infotainment screen to the side
7. can get rear-facing child seats
8. back seat is wider; helps a lot if you have 3 people back there
9. far easier to leave your phone in the car AND have the car locked :)
10. earlier availability
11. sunroof option
12. free supercharging
13. unlimited-mile battery and powertrain warranty
14. perhaps better service options (rumor I think; I haven't seen official 3 details, but I have heard they might not have loaners or something like that)
15. bio-weapon defense mode
16. adaptive lighting
17. retracting door handles. Yeah, silly, but you'd be amazed at how many people make a big deal about it

I'm not saying the Model S is always worth the extra money. I plan to trade my Model S (or perhaps my wife's) for a Model 3. I like the smaller size and lower price, and don't NEED any of the items above (except #3 sometimes; but we will still have the other Model S to cover that).

The Model 3 will clearly make sense for more people than the Model S. But there are plenty of reasons to favor the Model S; I will miss some of the above items.

Last edited:
Why would you buy Model S over Model 3? I personally think, that my next car will be Model 3. I can't justify paying 40-50k more for S.

I think you answered your own question -- if you have the money and don't want to wait then it makes sense to buy an S since you can get it now. In Canada, we have to wait until late 2018 to get the Model 3, and that's only if everything goes as planned. I don't know about you but I'm not getting any younger. If I had waited, that's close to 5 years that I would not have been driving my S. No thanks. It was hard enough just waiting the 4 months it took to build it when I ordered it.

I guess the other reason is if there's something you need in a Model S that the Model 3 doesn't have, the only thing I can think of now is the extra space which really comes in handy for me, especially with my wife, three daughters and our dog. Our large frunk and trunk are full up when we head out to our cabin or on trips.

Reactions: KJD
I struggled with it as well but ultimately, I made a deposit for an 2017 MS 75D (inventory not custom) on Saturday. I stayed up watching the reveal. Yes the interior looks nice, the acceleration is very good and the extended range is over 300 miles. HOWEVER, at the end of the day (after all the dust have settled, meaning 3 becomes as common as a Prius), I would be kicking myself for not getting a bigger car.
Take BMW X3 VS X5. When it first came out, X3 was slightly shorter in height, length and width than the X5, and yet when you see an X3 next to an X5, it's like wow X3 looked kind of small next to the X5. I know this why? My uncle had an X5 and ...I had an X3. We both bought it about the same time not knowing the other would. One night we all met up for dinner at a restaurant. It just so happened, my uncle parked next to me. It was one of those, damn wish I had spent more money moment. Plus for AWD Model 3, I'm guessing after options it would within 20 grand of the big one. So...that's why I bought the big one.

Same reason anyone buys a bigger car, I need more space. Its like asking why there is an Expedition and Explorer when there is an Escape. Or why there is an Accord when there is a Civic.

I guess the question is fair, given that so many bought a large-battery BEV in Model S, not necessarily a large car.

Large car, for some, was a result of lack of choice rather than need.

I personally see many reasons to buy Model S (size, hatch, performance, availability), but I would wait until it gets significant upgrades in the areas where Model 3 is re-inventing things. Despite what Tesla says, Model 3 is next-gen in many things...

Model 3 obviously has the next-generation everything:

- Next-gen interior (S/X are IMO expected to get similar later)

- Next-gen battery (S/X expected to get later - 2170 cell, details kept unknown IMO because likely to surpass current Model S/X base levels in some ways)

- Next-gen Autopilot 2.5 with new CPU/GPU unit and interior camera in Model 3 (unknown when/how Model S/X might get these)

- Reportedly faster CPU in Model 3 for its big screen

- New motor in Model 3

- Interior in Model 3 with coat hooks, vanity lights, pockets not available in Model S

So while there are spec differences, Model 3 is next-gen and Model S/X currently misses some of these things due to a generational difference.

Reactions: Spidy
This is the same question as why would you buy a BMW 525 rather than a BMW 325. They do pretty much the same, carry the same number of people etc, etc.A better question might be why would you but a BMW 525 rather than a Model S, or a BMW 325 rather than a Model 3?

This is the same question as why would you buy a BMW 525 rather than a BMW 325. They do pretty much the same, carry the same number of people etc, etc.A better question might be why would you but a BMW 525 rather than a Model S, or a BMW 325 rather than a Model 3?
A 5-Series has more seating interior space than 3-Series, a Model S not so much. If you want to compare storage then a 5-Series sedan vs. station wagon would be more fitting and BMW does not even charge me 5000€ for that. And a 7-Series has even more space for passengers in the rear seat. To me space is a reason to buy a Model S, but I don't see how it justifies the price gap.

Overall my impression with German cars is that a smoother ride, better material quality and so on are what really sets apart the higher priced Models. I mean the S-Class has freaking leather on the "oh *sugar*" grab handles.When I look at the S I simply don't see this level to detail that would set it apart from the 3. In my opinion the whole minimalist design approach makes in incredible difficult to differentiate the cars like the German premium manufacturers do.
Of course you also get the newest tech, for example the Drive Pilot is not available on the C-Class. And luxury options like massage seats are usually also not available on 3-Series. So if you want air suspension and a HEPA filter then those are for course reasons for a Model S, but there are probably a lot of people who say they don't need that, I mean there are Model S buyers who skip the premium package and who skipped air suspension in the past.

Imho, the Model 3 bests the Model S in several utility aspects:

- door pockets with room for (water) bottles in all four doors
- coat hooks
- fold-down rear center armrest with cupholders
- storage pockets on the back of the front seats
- better usable front cupholders
- more front center storage volume

By the looks of it, it also feels quite a bit more roomy in the back. I was shocked during my Model S test drives how cramped it felt in the back seats. The pics of the Model 3 interior make it look more spacious, even though it is much shorter than an S.

To me, the smaller size of the Model 3 is another main advantage over the S, which is a behemoth of a car, making it very impractical in many areas over here. Of course if someone wants or needs a bigger vehicle, the Model 3 might not be the first choice.

And sure, a hatchback would make the rear trunk more usable and easier to get to, but certain trade-offs seem inevitable.
Overall, I would never buy a Model S over a Model 3 and am very much looking forward to getting mine, even though it will be late 2018 before I get one, even though I reserved on April 1, 2016.