Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why would you buy Tesla or hybrid car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not disagreeing, but I think Range Extender might have wide appeal ... or 130kWh batteries will be here soon and affordable for the masses, which would also take care of range anxiety :)

A range extender has significant psychological appeal - a hedge against the leap into new technology.

But a modern Tesla really doesn't need anything like that unless you take it way out into the boonies - like Alaska or rural Canada.

It'd be really nice to have a optional Frunk mounted range extender, either a microturbine or maybe a metal-air primary battery with a couple thousand miles range (which is still only a couple hundred pounds, but you have to recycle the plates afterwards.)

But a modern Tesla really doesn't need anything like that unless you take it way out into the boonies

I'm happy with it ... but not sure that it is for everyone. At 90 kWh I have one or two days a month (journey 250 - 300 miles say) when I need to charge, and typically for less than 15 minutes, so similar to ICE and I used to have to fuel that once a week ...

But if I had a 75 that would be more often ... and if I drove to, say, France then that would add 20% to my journey time, so a 10 hour trip becomes 12 hours. Even with plentiful SCs a range extender would appeal to many.

Also, I'm not sure how all these legacy auto makers are going to get enough batteries for their promised EV rollout numbers ... so maybe the will fit smaller batteries and range extenders to get around that ... with the risk that that makes Range Extenders "acceptable" Probably would keep the delaers happy with the ICE maintenance they would need ... :(

I was confused by the survey.
It asks about factors that are important to me in making a purchase but doesn't ask my opinion of hybrid vs pure EVs in meeting those factors.
For instance, sustainability is important for both but it doesn't ask how well hybrid and EVs compare.

Woah. Sergey, get someone with an English background to proofread this.

I stopped filling it out because I had to read each question and section 5 times to try and make any sense of it.

Also, the following statement is both grammatically and factually inaccurate:
"Advertisement (Tesla does have any direct advertising campaigns)"