Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why you may see 4680s in the model S and model X very soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is critically backlogged on a very profitable and important product, the Tesla powerwall. It uses 18650s. Tesla does have production of 4680s occurring now. Have had for some months. The possibility exists that Tesla will accept dramatically lower production and shipment rates on the model S and model X for some months, maybe even years, in order to gain the production of 18650s that could go into the power walls for that use.

Thoughts?

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Tesla is critically backlogged on a very profitable and important product, the Tesla powerwall. It uses 18650s.

Thoughts?

The Powerwall 2, and Powerpack, products use 2170 cells. And from the rumors we have heard they only use imported 2170 cells from suppliers such as Samsung and LG. (All of the Panasonic 2170s made in GigaNevada are used for the Model 3 and Model Y.)

Or downgrade. the power wall has no need for fast movement of current with its accompanying heat. So, who knows, maybe they'll use that 18650 equipment for power Walls after all.

They can get away with using LFP prismatic with powerwall. It does not need high C rate for charging/discharging. LFP prismatic cells are dirt cheap now, you can get it almost $100 KWH.

I don't think that's where he's going. We're looking at repair. To that, lots of stories of Tesla sending packs back to Fremont for "refurbishment". Even read of a few people getting their packs back after using a loaner for over a year. Lots of refurbished packs as replacements, but I'd have to agree, no one outside of Tesla seems to know what they actually do to them!

I have seen Gruber Motors in the US do it for a Model S. There is an impressive video on YouTube of that. I have not seen anything outside of the US for it. This has my hopes for when the 8 year guarantee runs out in my Model S from 2014. Instead of then having to buy a whole pack....just swap a single cell!!!