Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why you should not buy a Mercedes-Benz S-Class.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to like the MB S class body style, but with the current body style, it's difficult to tell the difference between the C, E or S class anymore. Especially the new E class
they look too identical. The S Class should be special. A $100k car shouldn't have almost the same looks and features as a $40k car.

Reactions: P85DBeast
Well - technically speaking, all model S (& X) are driven by S-Class (the steering wheel is sourced from MB S-Class)...:eek:
Actually the wheel and steering column is from the older C and E-class models, which by the way are awesome cars for the money, the S-class is much different, even nicer! I read the development cost was too high for the smaller volume of just a couple vehicle models and it was much cheaper to outsource it, at least they chose the best.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: phaduman
I like how much more pragmatic this TMC thread is compared to the MB forum thread. We realize each car has its benefits and flaws, but the MB thread seems to be more misinformed and visceral. Certainly gives off the impression of jealousy or compensation for *something* else...
They're kind of like the Jalopnik commentariat... but with money. *ducks behind couch*

Reactions: voltaren
Another "I never paid near this much for a car and would not have", here. Though I'm also not paying what many pay for the MS as I'm taking advantage of Tesla's CPO program. Current car is an '02 Accord bought in '05, and I'm buying another 3 year old car but at nearly 4x what the Accord ran me. Will be probably another 4-5 weeks before I take possession and I can't wait to drive this special car.

The cheapest way to own a 2017 S-Class:D
Step 1 ~ Buy a 2017 E-Class with all the features and the 5k designo Macchiato Beige/Saddle Brown Exclusive Nappa leather
Step 2 ~ Slap a s550 badge on the rear
Step 3 ~ Get s550 wheels
And your all set. Just make sure you remind everyone that your driving an S-Class. They look similar the the E-Class. And just in case someone ask you "Are you sure it's an S-Class?" Just nod and walk away....

MB will go electric in a few years ... then what will the S Class owners bitch about? :cool:

Correct, and an easy decision for me ... after 100K miles, the MB depreciates 65%, the Model S 48% :cool:

View attachment 222307
I guess the amount of depreciation depends on where you're getting your resale price. I made an idle inquiry to Tesla sales about the trade-in value of my 2016 MS (8 months old, 15 k miles), and was quoted $73k (paid $103k) (I was investigating what it would cost to upgrade to the AP2 hardware). This is a 30% depreciation in less than a year. Doesn't come anywhere close to the depreciation curves cited. The depreciation curves are, I suppose, based on private sales to individuals ...(?)

I guess the amount of depreciation depends on where you're getting your resale price. I made an idle inquiry to Tesla sales about the trade-in value of my 2016 MS (8 months old, 15 k miles), and was quoted $73k (paid $103k) (I was investigating what it would cost to upgrade to the AP2 hardware). This is a 30% depreciation in less than a year. Doesn't come anywhere close to the depreciation curves cited. The depreciation curves are, I suppose, based on private sales to individuals ...(?)

The reason your pricing isn't the same is that you are comparing what you can sell a used car for to a dealer versus what you can buy the same car for from the same dealer. There is a typically a big spread there.

You have to look at what you can buy a used or new car at from a dealer to make apples and apples comparisons.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Our X is our local driving choice by far even though Tesla offers far fewer features than our Mercedes or BMW's. The effortless acceleration is just intoxicating on any street, plus the AP is great on the highway. As long as other cars don't get autopilot I'll always have at least one Tesla, it makes an awesome local car. There are lots of people willing to make the sacrifices for electric cars, I'm one, but versatility and range will always be a big reason most people spending $70-125K will still buy a gas MB, BMW, Porsche, or Lexus (not a Audi vw fan). I love our X90 but you should admit that any ICE Mercedes car or any ICE car for that matter has many advantages. Before everyone gets all worked up it just boils down to not wanting the comprises, mainly the big one, range. If we take our Mercedes 100-150 miles away we don't even have to be close to full, we can drive with the traffic flow, it's incredibly smooth and powerful and no matter how many or how fast a Supercharger is they are so much slower than gassing up and let's not even pretend they are plentiful compared to gas stations. Gas cars have huge convenience advantages if you want to travel away from home. I'm not saying it's not possible to go cross country with SChargers but for convenience it is a pretty big sacrifice and if your spending $100k plus you have options without sacrifice. It will probably be 10-15 years before people can rely on just one electric car to be as versatile as an ice car. I see people here comparing model S volume numbers to S class and 7 series volume, 7's and MBS's are true luxury cars, you have to compare the volume to E's and 5's that are more comparable gas cars, that's very lopsided.

Last edited:
30299946591_e7765fefd2_b.jpg

I like how much more pragmatic this TMC thread is compared to the MB forum thread. We realize each car has its benefits and flaws, but the MB thread seems to be more misinformed and visceral. Certainly gives off the impression of jealousy or compensation for *something* else...

That is an interesting reaction. I skimmed through the MB forum thread, too (it is quite long so I did not feel the need to read every post). Although I agree that some of the posts were "visceral" and that there was a considerable amount of misinformed anti-Tesla sentiment, I did not get the impression that it was that much more rational than some of the posts on TMC or in other Tesla forums. Unfortunately, it sometimes seems as if we Tesla owners (some of us anyway) are also sometimes biased and irrational when commenting about other cars. We are all human and prone to our biases!

For what it is worth (maybe not much), I drove MBs for more than 40 years (E-class or their equivalents, never had a modern S-class car), and have a great deal of respect for the cars and for those who own them. I still belong to the Mercedes Benz Club and it is a fine bunch of people (with a few exceptions, here and there, like any other large group). My local MBCA sections have welcomed me and my Tesla to several events since I made the switch and several club members have expressed genuine interest in the car. No one has called me a traitor yet!

The photo shows a few of the cars at the New England fall foliage rally, with my Tesla among the Benzes.

Last edited: