Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why your Model 3 rear bumper may come flying off.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As winter progresses we've been hearing more complaints about Model 3 under-tray components becoming damaged. As documented on TMC and Model3OwnersClub the most common problem is driving through water at normal speeds (30MPH+) and the force of the water causing damage to the composite under trays. So far we've heard good news about Tesla repairing these under warranty at no cost to the owner. Hopefully they are addressing this design flaw for future models.
(To get a good visual reference for what's going on check out the second video below where I document one of our new-car cosmetic inspections on a Model 3. You can see me pointing out the composite and metal components on the undercarriage. You can see how easily the composite trays could be damaging by the force of water.)

However there's another winter-driving problem that's starting to rear its ugly head, and that is the rapid and massive accumulation of road debris (sand, gravel, and mud primarily) onto the rearmost under-tray. It's becoming more evident in areas that use sand/gravel on their snowy roads.
At best this causes the car to carry around more weight than is normal (we've seen over 45lbs of debris!) and at worst... well I'm sure you've all seen that pic of the red Model 3 with its bumper ripped off.

Check out my video to understand what's going on and what you need to do the ensure your Model 3 doesn't sustain damage. If you find it informative, please consider hitting SUBSCRIBE

Undercarriage inspection; look how flexible the composite trays are.

• Informative
Reactions: mrau and S4WRXTTCS