TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Whytheville VA to Knoxville supercharger

Discussion in 'Model S' started by hsglia, Jul 30, 2016.

1. hsglia

hsglia Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Roanoke, VA
    i have to travel on I81 from roanoke to Chattanooga TN with a 85S. given the hills in the area, i wonder how doable this stratch is? anyone done this recently?
  2. kevinf311

kevinf311 Member

Jan 15, 2013
    So EV Trip Planner seems to think that an 85 can do Whytheville to Knoxville (1.1 Speed modifier, A/C at 72 with 92 outside, 200lbs) but not Knoxville to Whytheville.

It's right there at the max rated range for the 85 while being only about 200 real miles. Anecdotally, I've done the Atlanta-Charlotte run (249 real miles) in my S85 but I didn't do Charlotte-Atlanta (stopped at a HPWC in Greenville before the supercharger was there).

The above trip planner wants you to detour down to Asheville both ways, but it might only be necessary on the return trip (or maybe a lot of 55mph driving).

Edit: In my experience, the in car trip planner will try and get you to do all manner of silly things to charge more on these type of links instead of just driving conservatively towards the next supercharger. When I've had enough to make it to the next supercharger on my path, the NAV will try and get me to detour to other closer superchargers that would add lots of extra mileage to the trip. My overall advice is to monitor Wh/mi more than projected range. Charge up to max and try to keep the Wh/mi below 300 and things should be fine (provided that the distance isn't longer than the max charge mileage).
  3. Lanny

Lanny @Lanny

Nov 29, 2011
    We drove a 70D from Knoxville to Wytheville January 2nd with temps in the mid to low 40's and arrived with 22 miles left. We did have a tail wind and stuck to the speed limit.

We've also driven the 70D from Roanoke to Knoxville with a 2 hour boost at a campground (40A charger) before Wytheville Supercharger was built.
    • Helpful x 1
  4. Att1cus

Att1cus Member

Apr 3, 2016
    NE Tennessee
    I've petitioned for a Supercharger in the Tri-Cities area near the TN/VA line but so far no luck.