Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wi-Fi Connection Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our neighborhood recently installed a fiber optic network for internet home service providing high speed on both 5 and 2.4 ghz. Soon thereafter I noticed my Model S was no longer connecting to the internet in the garage. The system then supported 2 ssid's and the car was seeing both with strong signals. It just would not lock on.
The IT guy was called and found nothing wrong with the router, etc. I had him turn off the 5ghz and now only 2.4ghz is provided. We created a new ssid named "Tesla" with a simple password of only letters and numbers; no symbols to confuse. That ssid is fixed to channel 6 with no overlap problem. We had the car "forget" the other 2 ssid's. The car is seeing the Tesla network with strong signal but will not log on. It WILL log on to my iPhone hot spot and the local Starbuck.

A visit to the service center did not solve the problem. They had a great connection and updated the software to 2020.36.11, rebooted and everything checked fine with no error codes. Back home to the garage, no connection:(

Any helpful suggestion would be most appreciated. In case it matters, my S is a September 2016 75D with MCU1/Tegra and no autopilot. Thanks

At some point my MCU1 would no longer connect to my home network. I tried almost everything i could, both on 2.4 & 5g. Not to sound negative but I gave up. But alas the MCU2 upgrade came and I ponyed up. Now my car connects to my home network almost instantly. I changed nothing with my home setup. With that, it might make sense when you've exhausted all your ideas it to do a full hard reset of your car setting and clear everything from the MCU1. Start fresh and hopefully you'll be able to connect. Good luck!

I wouldn't want you to shell out if your MCU1 is doing well.

The older vehicles are notoriously twitchy with wifi. I spent months trouble shooting this. They don’t play well with certain routers, don’t play well with certain settings. I’ve found that the way certain traffic is handled effects the ability of the car to maintain a connection. In my case, having Directv servers and/or certain NAS products caused the endless connection cycle on the car (connects for a second then wifi and cell and Bluetooth all go down and they all reboot for 45 seconds, then it all happens again....and again). This happened on two different model SS. Setting up a whole other network isolated from my main one helped. But with the original Orbi routers nothing worked. Orbi pros using a guest network with network isolation enabled worked. Orbi AX nothing worked. ASUS AX mesh worked with no traffic isolation, but only after several rounds of firmware updates (i initially got the connection cycling). Since this happened just after you got a new router my guess is that it is the router or a router setting. MCU2 may certainly fix it. Swapping back your old router (or trying a new router) for your new may as well.

UniFi WiFi connection issues, any ideas?

Does the connection neighborhood internet open a web page where you are expected to authenticate or agree on some terms? That usually does not work for the Tesla.
It only connects to wifi with simple wpa2 password.

This is a valid point for older ms like my Aug 2017 build. Most neighborhood wifi systems require authentication or terms agreement and the mcu1 wifi adapter isn't compatible. One other adjustment you can make at the router level is changing bandwidth from 40 mhz to 20 mhz. Make sure auto channel is off and use ch 1-11 on the 2.4 G band. Your router may allow changing security encryption type from TKIP to AES. Try each one to make a connection. Of course, if it's public WiFi you have no control. I have had better success by performing a master reset to mcu1 or forgetting a network to start over.

I had trouble at first but finally solved my wifi connection by adding a wifi repeater closer to where I park my Model S. While my iphone had no problem picking up my wifi signal on 5Ghz, the Tesla wouldn't see the signal at all or with very low strength. Added the repeater 10 ft from the Tesla right passenger mirror ( where the wifi antenna is located) and it has been working perfectly ever since. Drive down the street 50 ft and I switch to LTE. Return to my driveway and it switches back to wifi immediately.

Note- 5Ghz wifi may only work on newer Tesla's. Plus it doesn't penetrate walls as well as the 2.4Ghz setting.

I had trouble at first but finally solved my wifi connection by adding a wifi repeater closer to where I park my Model S. While my iphone had no problem picking up my wifi signal on 5Ghz, the Tesla wouldn't see the signal at all or with very low strength. Added the repeater 10 ft from the Tesla right passenger mirror ( where the wifi antenna is located) and it has been working perfectly ever since. Drive down the street 50 ft and I switch to LTE. Return to my driveway and it switches back to wifi immediately.

Note- 5Ghz wifi may only work on newer Tesla's. Plus it doesn't penetrate walls as well as the 2.4Ghz setting.
5GHz is only on MCU2 (March 2018 and later for Model S). Many of the WiFi problems people have been experiencing have nothing to do with signal strength. I have an access point immediately above the cars (on the ceiling of the garage), and have had a number of issues with both MCU1 and MCU2 cars. Read through some of the threads in my post above to see what people are experiencing.