Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wi-Fi connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome to TMC.

"premium connectivity" doesnt have anything at all to do with connecting to WiFi in your car. Are you, perhaphs, talking about connecting to CELLULAR using the premium connectivity that you have in your car? Wifi isnt cellular, even though sometimes people use the terms interchangably.

"problems connecting to wifi" would be issues connecting to your home internet wifi router. "problems connecting to cellular" would be using the premium connectivity in the car and the cellular connection it has to "do stuff".

Cellular connectivity is via AT&T in the car, so if you dont have good coverage in your areas via ATT then you will have issues with the cellular connection.

No I’m talking about Wi-Fi (which comes with Premium Connectivity) without it I can not connect to my car though my cell phone.

Again, Wifi has nothing to do with premium connectivity. Wifi connectivity comes with every tesla (with wifi being the ability to connect to a wifi access point, which has zero to do with cellular or premium connectivity).

You say "wifi" but your description is Cellular connectivity,

EDIT;... I am making this distinction, because as I said above, wi-fi connectivity to a home router is a different thing than cellular connectivity that you pay for with premium connectivity. If you have problems with wifi it has nothing to do with premium connectivity and you are saying " I am having problems connecting the car to my home network".

Premium connectivity gets you the ability to use the cars cellular connection to stream music, watch netflix, etc, but doesnt use wi fi to do so, it uses the cars ATT connection.

Reactions: Pemple
Geeks are extraordinarily literal. This drives my wife crazy when she asks for help with a technical problem. She has a very clear picture in her head, yet I have to ask a bunch of pedantic questions before I have the same picture in my head.

The situation is still a bit confusing. What model smartphone do you have? Which scenarios work poorly?
  1. Trouble playing music from your phone through the car’s speakers; using the car for hands-free phone calls?
  2. Trouble using the Tesla App on your smartphone as a key?
  3. Difficulty using Summon feature when standing near your car? If your car has that feature.
  4. Trouble controlling car features using the Tesla app on your smartphone when your car is not nearby? Warming the interior, for example, when you are in a different part of the house.

Geeks are extraordinarily literal. This drives my wife crazy when she asks for help with a technical problem. She has a very clear picture in her head, yet I have to ask a bunch of pedantic questions before I have the same picture in my head.

The situation is still a bit confusing. What model smartphone do you have? Which scenarios work poorly?
  1. Trouble playing music from your phone through the car’s speakers; using the car for hands-free phone calls?
  2. Trouble using the Tesla App on your smartphone as a key?
  3. Difficulty using Summon feature when standing near your car? If your car has that feature.
  4. Trouble controlling car features using the Tesla app on your smartphone when your car is not nearby? Warming the interior, for example, when you are in a different part of the house.

This is absolutely true, but its usually because we are trying to "get the same picture in our heads" as you correctly point out. Great list btw. I was going for "if issue is actually wifi, try this, if issue is ceullular, not much you can do because thats dependant on your connection to ATT.

@jjrandorin, yes, I agree with you. Why is it that we geeks must educate those around us that want to use the tech.

I used to support about 300+ users on a campus like site. I got so tired of people telling me "I'm not a computer person", that I gave them my customary reply. "Well, do you think that we are going to come through the office one day in the near future and remove all the computers and put typewriters back in front of you? What will you say then, 'I'm not a typewriter person'? I recommend you get smarter using a computer or find a shovel that fits your hands."

@jjrandorin, yes, I agree with you. Why is it that we geeks must educate those around us that want to use the tech.
My day job is diagnosing and solving complex infotech problems in a large global corporation. I’m in the network team because network is on the short-list of “guilty until proven innocent” technologies.

I have learned that technology mastery requires an ability to visualize relatively complicated relationships among components with weird names that make most people’s eyes glaze over.

One factor that keeps me on the payroll is an ability to develop analogies that help non-geeks understand the situation. Frequently using a restaurant model.

Another factor is the late-dawning realization that people have different aptitudes. What seems natural for some - scoring points in a basketball game for the late Kobe Bryant, our local High School champion - is difficult for others.

Kobe figured it out early. He treated the other kids on the team as peers, cooperated to develop their ability, and the coach helped everyone pool their strengths. Kobe’s years were a unique stretch of state championships for the team.

That’s my attitude when I get enlisted in a high stakes problem that has resisted solution for days or weeks. I understand that everyone on the WebEx knows more about their specialty than I do. My job is to ask a series of dumb questions - sometimes repeatedly - until we all have a clear and accurate picture. Then use network and server data to gain insight, apply my mental models and experience to suggest likely root cause and solution.

It only works with respect, understanding of others’ strengths and weaknesses, a common view and collaboration.

I will confess - it’s very satisfying. Either when I figure out root cause and remediation within the first hour; or after longer analysis and visualization suggest an arcane root cause, thus unexpected fix.

Buy me a suitable recreational beverage when isolation is done and we can trade tales of woe and wonder.

No I’m talking about Wi-Fi (which comes with Premium Connectivity) without it I can not connect to my car though my cell phone.

Your smartphone app should be able to connect to your car ANYWHERE via 4G LTE OR via Bluetooth if your smartphone is close to the car. Car's WiFi connects to a WiFi "hotspot" such as your home WiFi network, your smartphone WiFi hotspot, or maybe even a public network (Starbucks anyone?). Premium Connectivity gives your car an ability to use 4G LTE for things such as Netflix, internet audio streaming (MOST important to us), [slow] web browsing, real-time traffic updates (Somewhat important) and map visualization.

I used to support about 300+ users on a campus like site. I got so tired of people telling me "I'm not a computer person", that I gave them my customary reply. "Well, do you think that we are going to come through the office one day in the near future and remove all the computers and put typewriters back in front of you? What will you say then, 'I'm not a typewriter person'? I recommend you get smarter using a computer or find a shovel that fits your hands."

First, for every geek there exists a geekier geek.

I often tell our IT support that I am not a computer person when something prompts me to summon them to my office computer to find a simple fix to my problem. Usually, problems are related to managing other user's access and network connections that broke after a most recent update, and the "geeks" didn't bother to inform "users" that some changes may require certain steps to fix them. Most of the IT "geek" work is just memorizing and learning new tricks. That's useful and important to support operations, though not really creative. So, when you tell someone about typewriters it is the same as if a "user" has a problem with a door lock, and a locksmith tells that "user" that a secure modern lock will be replaced with an old insecure one because he is tired of users telling him they are not lock masters. If you don't like what you do (support), don't do it.

Sorry about my rant on computer geeks.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mark57
My day job is diagnosing and solving complex infotech problems in a large global corporation. I’m in the network team because network is on the short-list of “guilty until proven innocent” technologies.

I have learned that technology mastery requires an ability to visualize relatively complicated relationships among components with weird names that make most people’s eyes glaze over.

One factor that keeps me on the payroll is an ability to develop analogies that help non-geeks understand the situation. Frequently using a restaurant model.

Another factor is the late-dawning realization that people have different aptitudes. What seems natural for some - scoring points in a basketball game for the late Kobe Bryant, our local High School champion - is difficult for others.

Kobe figured it out early. He treated the other kids on the team as peers, cooperated to develop their ability, and the coach helped everyone pool their strengths. Kobe’s years were a unique stretch of state championships for the team.

That’s my attitude when I get enlisted in a high stakes problem that has resisted solution for days or weeks. I understand that everyone on the WebEx knows more about their specialty than I do. My job is to ask a series of dumb questions - sometimes repeatedly - until we all have a clear and accurate picture. Then use network and server data to gain insight, apply my mental models and experience to suggest likely root cause and solution.

It only works with respect, understanding of others’ strengths and weaknesses, a common view and collaboration.

I will confess - it’s very satisfying. Either when I figure out root cause and remediation within the first hour; or after longer analysis and visualization suggest an arcane root cause, thus unexpected fix.

Buy me a suitable recreational beverage when isolation is done and we can trade tales of woe and wonder.

Thank you!!! You are the best example of IT support/development. We've recently got a new CIO who has a very similar work approach and aptitude to yours, and everyone loves her, and things are getting done.

Usually, problems are related to managing other user's access and network connections that broke after a most recent update, and the "geeks" didn't bother to inform "users" that some changes may require certain steps to fix them.

Sorry about my rant on computer geeks.

Its been my experience that, when users are "informed"- when we put signs on the front door, flyer's on the users' seats, lay them on on the keyboard and tape on on the screen, they simply ignore it because they don't have time to read the "changes may require certain steps to fix them".

And as for the rant? There's nothing that makes support want to go that extra mile, stay late or come early and take that user's call at 11:00 pm, than the ungrateful person that won't try.

• Love
Reactions: Mark57
As others have said, Wi-Fi and Premium Connectivity are not related. People without the PC package can connect their cars to a Wi-Fi hotspot. Are you having trouble connecting your car to your home Wi-Fi hotspot?

Because you also mention connecting your phone to your car via Wi-Fi. Actually the phone and car connect via bluetooth, not Wi-Fi. You can control your car with the app if you have a data connection (whether wifi or cell data) as long as the phone and car independently has a data connection. So is your issue that you can't control your car from the app? The phone is not working as a key?

Need more specific info.

h2omen....

Is that hydrogen omen? or water men? :D

Its been my experience that, when users are "informed"- when we put signs on the front door, flyer's on the users' seats, lay them on on the keyboard and tape on on the screen, they simply ignore it because they don't have time to read the "changes may require certain steps to fix them".

And as for the rant? There's nothing that makes support want to go that extra mile, stay late or come early and take that user's call at 11:00 pm, than the ungrateful person that won't try.

You understand that without "users" IT support will be out of job, right? User's will still be able to do their job with typewriters, but could IT support do their job with typewriters?