Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wi-fi off when getting back to car? Fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm experimenting with whether I can live without the Premium connectivity subscription. I don't care about the satellite maps or traffic visualizations.

I found a method with iPhone using a combination of Automation shortcut and Focus when driving to have the phone automatically turn on the Hotspot when it connects the the car's bluetooth. So that part of a seamless hotspot experience is working.

But my issue is it seems that if I'm out and about and go into a store, I come back to the car, my phone does its Automation and turns on the hotspot but then I don't see the car connect. I click into the wifi settings and it always says Wifi OFF and I have to toggle back on. Then it connects right away to the hotspot.

Similarly at home the car stays connected to my home Wifi. Then when I get in a drive it doesn't seem to want to switch to the hotspot once driving away from the house. I'm going to try and solve that problem by setting my home wifi to stay connected when in drive so that maybe it will just switch to the hotspot wifi once I'm out of range of the home wifi. But I've read the car won't do switching while driving??

Anyways, is this just "how it is" and I'll have to get in the habit of doing a quick Wifi On switch every time I get back in the car? Or is there a way or setting that I'm missing?

Any ideas?

And you followed this info?

Hotspots and Connectivity​

You can also use a mobile hotspot or your phone's Internet connection via Wi-Fi tethering (subject to fees and restrictions of your mobile carrier) to access the internet. To remain connected to Wi-Fi when shifting into Drive or Reverse, choose the connection from the Wi-Fi settings screen, then touch Remain connected in Drive.

And you followed this info?

Hotspots and Connectivity​

You can also use a mobile hotspot or your phone's Internet connection via Wi-Fi tethering (subject to fees and restrictions of your mobile carrier) to access the internet. To remain connected to Wi-Fi when shifting into Drive or Reverse, choose the connection from the Wi-Fi settings screen, then touch Remain connected in Drive.
Yes. I have the remain connected in drive on. And it does remain connected once I turn wifi back on, it connects and I drive.

I'm trying to make is seamless. Get in the car, automation on the iPhone runs, car connects to the wifi, drive off. I don't want to have to fiddle with wifi on every time. It would make sense to me that as soon as I wake the car the wifi should be on if it was on when I left the car.

Any more updates on this? Having the same issue and wondering if there's a better way to auto reconnect.
Yes. I have the remain connected in drive on. And it does remain connected once I turn wifi back on, it connects and I drive.

I'm trying to make is seamless. Get in the car, automation on the iPhone runs, car connects to the wifi, drive off. I don't want to have to fiddle with wifi on every time. It would make sense to me that as soon as I wake the car the wifi should be on if it was on when I left the car.

Any more updates on this? Having the same issue and wondering if there's a better way to auto reconnect.
I am using shortcuts automation for a month to tether my hotspot and it does work pretty well, except one condition when my Y turns off Wi-Fi overnight by itself. it could work for 3 days in a row without any hiccups, and next morning you see that Wi-Fi is not connected, opening car settings to find out that Wi-Fi is off. For This part I cant find any fix since its out of our control or hidden somewhere in the settings? Maybe Tesla program software this way that it will go off time to time to force us for premium connectivity. Just my 2c.

I am using shortcuts automation for a month to tether my hotspot and it does work pretty well, except one condition when my Y turns off Wi-Fi overnight by itself. it could work for 3 days in a row without any hiccups, and next morning you see that Wi-Fi is not connected, opening car settings to find out that Wi-Fi is off. For This part I cant find any fix since its out of our control or hidden somewhere in the settings? Maybe Tesla program software this way that it will go off time to time to force us for premium connectivity. Just my 2c.
What is shortcut automation

I gave up and subscribed to premium connectivity. Even though the automation worked a lot of the time it was too unpredictable with no rhyme or reason why.
My guess is that the way it works is just as intended, because tesla want you to buy the premium package.

Where i live the price for premium connectivity is $14,19, from what i have read, in the US, the price is $9,99 with an option for a $99 for a year, so if paying for a year, makes the price almost half of what i would pay in a year here.

But i guess it is not possible to do the "Buy in another country via VPN" trick with this ;)