Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wi-Fi Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a 2021 X on November 24th and have had to do 4 updated so far. I am wondering if this is normal. Also should I do these updates as soon as possible or wait for a short time. I have done updates on computers and they have made them crash. Has anyone had any problems with doing updates on Tesla's?

I’ve only had my 2020 MX a few months more that you, but if I had to estimate, I’d say I’ve probably averaged about 2 updates a month, give or take. I seem to get a notice that there’s a new update about 2 days after they are released, and I would always install right away (though I know exactly what you mean about the risk of new software crashing, I’m just too excited to have a car that gets updates!). Late last year, I waited a while to install an update that was available and then when the next new update was released, it wasn’t available to me for over a week instead of the usual 2 days. Not sure if it is at all related, but I feel like if there is history of you taking them quick, you’ll get them quick.

You’ll definitely hear about people having issues after updates, but they don’t seem universal or widespread so I don’t think you are gaining anything by waiting since there’s always a new update every couple weeks, if it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen!

One thing I’ll recommend that I read here that I now do after every software update is a steering wheel reboot or two. I think it probably reboots as a process of the update, but an extra one just to make sure everything is clean and synched seems to work well.

It's not that you "had" to do 4 updates so far, it's that you got to do 4 updates. What you're experiencing is one of the greatest benefits of Teslas, they are constantly updating and adding new features. My tesla is much much different and far better than the day I bought it, with may great new features added since that time.
Sometimes the updates will have minor issues, often with autopilot such as increased incidences of phantom braking, etc. Usually these issues are fixed with subsequent updates. I've had my car for 2 1/2 years and I've never had any issues such as having the updates cause computer crashes or other significant issues. When you get a notification for a software update it will tell you the version of the new software. You can google the version to find the release notes and see what is new. Sometimes there will be significant improvements. Other times the release notes will be the same as the prior update, which means that the update is addressing some of the minor bugfixes.

Generally, it’s wise to do a double scroll-wheel plus brake pedal restart (Tesla version of classic Windows 3-finger salute Ctrl+Alt+Del) when you get in the car after an update. The package can have firmware components as well as software updates. That last restart ensures that all the components are on the same page.

Or you can wait to see if there’s flakey behavior and then try the restart.

I purchased a 2021 X on November 24th and have had to do 4 updated so far. I am wondering if this is normal. Also should I do these updates as soon as possible or wait for a short time. I have done updates on computers and they have made them crash. Has anyone had any problems with doing updates on Tesla's?
You do realize that many 1000s of people are doing these daily? See: TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

I've had 69 since late 2017 (below picture from TeslaFI.COM connected to my car).

That said ASAP if you are home (vs road trip -- not advised as anything could go wrong like 12v battery being weak).
If you are concerned do them on the weekend or Fri night in case you need help with anything (ie. forum or Tesla).

HCUxHq9.jpg