Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wi-Fi will not turn on - Can't even access the connection settings.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI all.

Unlike the issues some people have trying to get their cars to connect to wifi (due to the signal strength, etc), my car won't even turn it on in the settings menu?

I click on the "LTE" logo, it pops up the screen to say "wifi turned off". I go to turn it on, and it says "this will turn on, on your next drive". But it doesn't?!

No other settings to choose, no option to manually scan for networks or enter a network details either?

Tried 2 button reboot, and a power off through the menu.

Anyone else found similar? If so, did you fix it?

Reactions: ATXer
This is all I get?

BB4F8E66-89B8-48AC-A7E7-0B1AFE325E3A.jpeg

Good news is that you don't appear to have a software update - you get the notification of that even with LTE and pops up a yellow icon on the top row that appears not to be there. tbh, you aren't missing anything.
True, but kind of hoped that a software update, might give the car a "Kick up the a*se" and help solve the issue!
sounds silly, but trying powering the car off, leaving it a bit and then turning on. I read it seems to fix quite a few issues. Is your Premium Connectivity working at all?
Already tried that. Both 2 button reset, and a full power down.

I am also getting issues with the app not connecting via the inbuilt SMS process too. I wonder if it's all linked?

I have a service appointment booked for early Jan (Charge component needs replacing), I have added all these issues to the list, so hope they can sort something.

True, but kind of hoped that a software update, might give the car a "Kick up the a*se" and help solve the issue!

Already tried that. Both 2 button reset, and a full power down.

I am also getting issues with the app not connecting via the inbuilt SMS process too. I wonder if it's all linked?

I have a service appointment booked for early Jan (Charge component needs replacing), I have added all these issues to the list, so hope they can sort something.
yeah its frustrating though. Does sound like a SIM problem if you can't get sms either, to be honest I've not really tried the phone/sms features yet.

Reactions: Simonix

SMS is only there to remotely wake the car. If the car can be accessed remotely when it is asleep (not always obvious when), then there is no SMS issue. If however you can only wake the car by physically trying to open it, or, via using one of the bluetooth app functions such as unlock, then that would point to an issue either with SMS or the remote gateway. A number of SMS looking issues reported recently - I'm not convinced that its just coincidental that there is discussion that mobile provider is changing here in UK - a few years back, pretty much all the UK fleet got remotely 'locked out' of their cars for several days due to SMS issues - resolved only by changing eSIM provider. The only way to wake the car was either to physically access it, or via one of the bluetooth functions in the app - the latter only after several minutes of the app trying to unsuccessfully access the car. The good news is that if it is an SMS provider issue, its a transparent remotely applied fix.

Reactions: Adopado and Simonix
SMS is only there to remotely wake the car. If the car can be accessed remotely when it is asleep (not always obvious when), then there is no SMS issue. If however you can only wake the car by physically trying to open it, or, via using one of the bluetooth app functions such as unlock, then that would point to an issue either with SMS or the remote gateway. A number of SMS looking issues reported recently - I'm not convinced that its just coincidental that there is discussion that mobile provider is changing here in UK - a few years back, pretty much all the UK fleet got remotely 'locked out' of their cars for several days due to SMS issues - resolved only by changing eSIM provider. The only way to wake the car was either to physically access it, or via one of the bluetooth functions in the app - the latter only after several minutes of the app trying to unsuccessfully access the car. The good news is that if it is an SMS provider issue, its a transparent remotely applied fix.

Yes, this is exactly what I am experiencing.

Just seems that both the SMS system for "waking" the car via the app, and the wifi not turning on, are coincidentally happening at the same time.

Have to say, the connection to wifi is very on/off. My car has to be backed up right next to the house to connect for some reason.
Yeah, the antenna isn't very strong in the car. I have a wifi extender plugged in just behind the front door, which up until the last couple of days, maintained a stable connection with the car.

Like I say, the car won't even scan for a network at present, so don't think it's a signal strength issue with mine.

What does it say under the Safety and Security section re “allow mobile access”? And tapping the LTE/3G symbol/ Wi-Fi symbol doesn’t bring up a sub menu?

I’m really not sure the two faults are related. Certainly in my situation I completely mirrored your symptoms, see my app not waking car thread or contributions on M3 gone wrong for reference.

At all times I could still search for Wi-Fi and after I moved a mesh puck a bit I extended my Wi-Fi fully to cover the car successfully.

I am convinced a server side update was ran or some sort of data migration occurred early in the hours of 14/12 and my car has successfully been woken by the app. I collected my car 4/12. Could be a set up issue on the migration process from NL based sim to UK but I’m speculating and way off piste knowledge wise.

Last edited:
Well, I tried another 2 button reset.

No T logo. Screen went black and didn’t come back on again!!! Tried locking/unlocking car. Tried pressing the buttons again. Still screen dead?!
Then I tried plugging in the charge cable, nothing. Then it wouldn’t unlock the charge cable, app would not connect. Screen still dead!?

Squeaky bum time!

Finally, the charge cable released itself and the screen switched back on to tell me the charge was unsuccessful when I pulled out the plug.

Upside is, this “reset” allows me to now connect to Wi-Fi! Yay!

Downside - I daren’t ever try another 2 button reset in future, in case it won’t boot back up again!? Genuinely thought it was dead!

• Funny
Reactions: Magstauk

No T logo. Screen went black and didn’t come back on again!!! Tried locking/unlocking car. Tried pressing the buttons again. Still screen dead?!
Then I tried plugging in the charge cable, nothing. Then it wouldn’t unlock the charge cable, app would not connect. Screen still dead!?

Squeaky bum time!

Finally, the charge cable released itself and the screen switched back on to tell me the charge was unsuccessful when I pulled out the plug.

Downside - I daren’t ever try another 2 button reset in future, in case it won’t boot back up again!? Genuinely thought it was dead!
When I did the reset it took a little longer than I was expecting. Glad you are at least on Wi-Fi now. Hopefully the rest of the gremlins will now disappear.

Squeaky bum time!

I had this the other day and really though I broke it haha. Screen was off for so long!!

Probably just being a pedant - but you’re doing two buttons plus the brake aren’t you?

Just two buttons on their own reboots the infotainment stuff in my understanding. I know WiFi should count in that - but who knows!

I always do the full works e.g. after an update to clear any other subsystems in a funky-state.

I too have the squeaky-bum feeling until I see the T. Perhaps if it blanks again…after five mins (to be sure it’s not fsck-ing its storage!) just repeat…assuming something’s not come up right (an old Comp Sci lecturer would berate us for such acts, as systems should be deterministic and just do exactly the same again if you boot them the second time with everything the same….but I think our cars are so complicated that’s no longer valid!).