Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wi-Fi will not turn on - Can't even access the connection settings.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When Tesla remote diagnostics tell you to reboot the car they will specifically tell you to put your foot on the brake. I specifically asked why and got it was a safety measure. Obviously one Tesla answer does not mean that it is true, but it doesn't do any harm and if it might stop your car from unexpectedly moving, I cannot see why you wouldn't do it especially as its such a simple safety measure to take.
There seems to be a belief amongst many that reboot with brake pedal might reset more than a reset without. Opinions are divided, and without any official guidance, who knows?

I doubt there's any benefit in holding the buttons down after the screen goes blank. However, if holding the brake down really does cause it to reset additional hardware in the car, then it's quite plausible that you do need to hold the brake pedal down longer, as it's probably detected as the computer boots up again and then resets hardware during the boot sequence.

But 🤷‍♂️ as with everything, who knows for sure?

EDIT: If you're in park then the parking brake will have been automatically applied so it shouldn't be possible for the car to move.

HI all.

Unlike the issues some people have trying to get their cars to connect to wifi (due to the signal strength, etc), my car won't even turn it on in the settings menu?

I click on the "LTE" logo, it pops up the screen to say "wifi turned off". I go to turn it on, and it says "this will turn on, on your next drive". But it doesn't?!

No other settings to choose, no option to manually scan for networks or enter a network details either?

Tried 2 button reboot, and a power off through the menu.

Anyone else found similar? If so, did you fix it?
hey simonx,

I'm experiencing exatly the same problem. Service suggested it is a FW problem and I shouldn't try turning wifi on for the first 5 minutes after the car wakes up from deep sleep. This kindof or sometimes allows wifi to power up, but not every time. Getting a new update takes a week of fighting the wifi to work.. This has been going on for a while with no fix in newer FWs so I'm begining to doubt it is just a FW problem.

Did your problem dissapear or got fixed?

Thank you all for the information and advice here. May 2021 car, first time I had the no wifi problem. Wasted over a hour this morning trying to resolve, then found this thread.

Did a two button reset, did not have foot on brake, did not remove USB storage. Screen went blank after about 30s, did not get the T splash screen. Went back to car after 20 minutes, and all working ok again.

The software update - which was waiting for the wifi to be "turned on" - then started automatically. All seems ok.

HI all.

Unlike the issues some people have trying to get their cars to connect to wifi (due to the signal strength, etc), my car won't even turn it on in the settings menu?

I click on the "LTE" logo, it pops up the screen to say "wifi turned off". I go to turn it on, and it says "this will turn on, on your next drive". But it doesn't?!

No other settings to choose, no option to manually scan for networks or enter a network details either?

Tried 2 button reboot, and a power off through the menu.

Anyone else found similar? If so, did you fix it?
My S hasn't been connected for a few months. It will not connect to either my router or extension but sitting in the car my iPhone will connect to both with fast speed. Now it says it is off and driving the car will not fix it. Can't do the update.