Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wi-Fi will not turn on - Can't even access the connection settings.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably just being a pedant - but you’re doing two buttons plus the brake aren’t you?

Just two buttons on their own reboots the infotainment stuff in my understanding. I know WiFi should count in that - but who knows!

I always do the full works e.g. after an update to clear any other subsystems in a funky-state.

I too have the squeaky-bum feeling until I see the T. Perhaps if it blanks again…after five mins (to be sure it’s not fsck-ing its storage!) just repeat…assuming something’s not come up right (an old Comp Sci lecturer would berate us for such acts, as systems should be deterministic and just do exactly the same again if you boot them the second time with everything the same….but I think our cars are so complicated that’s no longer valid!).
The reset I did which “fixed” it and made my screen go dead for about 15-20mins (yes, I was really worried it had died!) was without pressing foot on the brake.

Like @Katic1972 though, I never seem to get a T logo regardless.

However, after that last time, and how long it took for it to come back to life, I’m fearful of trying it again. 😂

If I do a two-button/brake reboot - I get a black screen for a while (exact duration varies I think - 1-2 mins tops) - then the T logo for a shorter while - then the map tiles load/things are back to normal. Total time 2-3 minutes I would say.

I wonder if it panicked in some-way when you last did it, and it did a full monty reboot….but even then, 15-20 minutes is a long time. Hope you were home at least!

That’d have had me sweating buckets. Never seen that long in two years of my post-update reboot practice.

Reactions: Simonix
I wonder if it panicked in some-way when you last did it, and it did a full monty reboot….but even then, 15-20 minutes is a long time. Hope you were home at least!
Home! The only time so far when I have done a total reboot was during phone consultation with a Tesla Tech. When the car finally woke up after 20 minutes it certainly wasn't at home or the actual Hopwood supercharger but a different colour car surrounded by desert in Palo Alto CA. It then set me a destination to an alternative Dutch supercharger and only after a few hundred yards onto the M42 did it finally come to its senses.

iMacTesla software wouldn't do any of this of course.... but that's a real dream.

I don’t get the “T” at all my screen simply goes black. Regardless whether I include the brake in the process or not. Is that definitely a model 3 thing?

It sounds like you are not doing the reboot correctly.

You need to press and hold until the T appears. This takes 40-50 seconds and the screen will be blank during this time. Once the T appears you can release the buttons.

It sounds like you might not be pressing the buttons long enough.

Tesla recommend pressing the brake during this procedure as a safety precaution. Some also recommend removing the USB stick during reboot.

You need to press and hold until the T appears. This takes 40-50 seconds and the screen will be blank during this time. Once the T appears you can release the buttons.

Tesla recommend pressing the brake during this procedure as a safety precaution. Some also recommend removing the USB stick during reboot.
When I did do the reset it initially accessed the voice commands function but I kept the buttons pressed. Can’t say for sure how long but I think I did roughly count about a minute.

I don’t need to reset now, my car has been waking perfectly for the app since first thing on Tuesday 14/12. I’m going to cancel my SC appointment on 21/12 if it continues to work through today.

Last couple of full resets i have had to do the T logo never appeared i just kept everything pressed until screen reappeared (previously always used to have the T logo). When i mentioned it to SC they said to remove the usb storage before resetting, still no T logo when i tried a reboot after removing usb storage

Since 40.6 the T isn’t is appearing (was after about 35 seconds) the release pedal and buttons. Reboots after 40.6 and 44.5, I held for about 55 seconds and the normal screen just reappeared - no T.

• Informative
Reactions: nufan
Rightly or wrongly - I’ve never held the buttons and brake for any longer than it takes for the screen to blank.
FWIW, that's what the web version of the Model 3 manual says to do. The manual also doesn't mention pressing the brake.

Restarting the Touchscreen​

You can restart your touchscreen if it is unresponsive or demonstrates unusual behavior.
Warning
Only restart the touchscreen while the vehicle is stopped and in Park. The car status display, safety warnings, backup camera, etc. will not be visible during the restart.
  1. Shift into Park.
  2. Hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black.Steering wheel with zoombox of up arrows pointing at the left and right scroll buttons.
  3. After a few seconds, the Tesla logo appears. Wait approximately 30 seconds for the touchscreen to restart. If the touchscreen is still unresponsive or demonstrating unusual behavior after a few minutes, try power cycling the vehicle. See Power Cycling the Vehicle.
Note
Restarting the touchscreen using the scroll buttons does not power Model 3 off and on.

FWIW, that's what the web version of the Model 3 manual says to do. The manual also doesn't mention pressing the brake.

When Tesla remote diagnostics tell you to reboot the car they will specifically tell you to put your foot on the brake. I specifically asked why and got it was a safety measure. Obviously one Tesla answer does not mean that it is true, but it doesn't do any harm and if it might stop your car from unexpectedly moving, I cannot see why you wouldn't do it especially as its such a simple safety measure to take.

@katic: yes I get/got the T. Didn’t pay attention on the last upgrade though. Rebooted and ran…so behaviours may have changed.

Never tried it - but can’t you two thumb-wheel boot the infotainment system whilst driving? Booting any driving systems while underway would be daft - so for the ‘all subsystem’ reboot - I’ve assumed they use the brake as well just to reinforce you need to be stationary (you’d hope they check your speed/check Park too before proceeding!).

I’m aware I’m reverse-engineering/applying reasoned logic to something that might actually not be that reasonable though!