Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wide Angle + Anti Glare Wingmirror Glass Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
Just installed the 'Wide angle side mirror glass for model 3' with the 'blue lens anti-glare' from Hansshow.

Wide angle side mirror glass for model 3,S,X | Intelligentized Auto Parts | Hansshow

Cost was $68.85 after using the discount code 'becausetesla'. Delivery took just under 6 weeks.

Installation video from YouTuber 'Because Tesla' is here, but I've added some photos of my installation below:

Unboxed

20201027_135951.jpg

The two pins on the rear are for the heating element. Note there's no pins to support the auto dimming feature that came with 2019 models so you lose this functionality but gain the 'always on' anti-glare function that the blue tint provides.

Removal

For the passenger side (UK) I was able to move the mirror so that the far edge was away from the housing as much as possible then slip my fingers behind the glass and pull directly off. You need to transfer the two pins for the heating element off the existing mirror and on to the new mirror.

20201101_102909.jpg

Bit trickier on the drivers side as the mirror doesn't extend as far out, so used a wide pry tool covered in a micro fibre and pulled off one side until I could get my fingers behind it.

20201101_104122.jpg

I did have a good look in both mirror housings for the wifi antenna, pretty convinced it's in the passenger side (UK) but if it is, it must be hidden behind the mirror motor assembly or between the assembly and the wing mirror housing cover.

Installation

Once you've transferred the pins over (I don't believe it matters which one goes where) just push firmly in the centre of the mirror to fit it back on to the motor.

I really like the blue tint, it's really subtle. Not driven at night with them yet so will report back if there are any issues.

20201101_105133.jpg

Viewing Angle

Not particularly scientific but should give you an idea, The before photo was taken from my driving position, not the maximum reach of the mirror. The after photo was taken with the mirror positioned as it was previously set, I've since adjusted this now and can view an additional 60cm or so.

My daughter unenthusiastically held a metre stick from the rear edge of the car for reference:

Before:

20201101_103714.jpg

After:

Edited.jpg

Overall, really happy with them. It's a nice quality of life upgrade, certainly not essential.

Just took a night time drive. Really nice to see so much more of what's behind you.

Antiglare was good too, could still see car headlights if looking in the wingmirror but far less bright than with the standard glass.

I don't have the auto dimming glass on my 2020 model so can't comment if better or worse.

@Medved_77 all of your posts are so thorough and helpful - and this one is brilliant - thanks for sharing!

Love the credit to your daughter also (and she played a vital part!)

I don't think I have auto dimming in my sept 20 car (born in july 20) either as I don't seem to have any protection from Audi dazzle.

So you now have better viewing angle, less dazzle & no drawbacks? Are you still as happy in Nov as you were in Jan?

@Medved_77 all of your posts are so thorough and helpful - and this one is brilliant - thanks for sharing!

Love the credit to your daughter also (and she played a vital part!)

I don't think I have auto dimming in my sept 20 car (born in july 20) either as I don't seem to have any protection from Audi dazzle.

So you now have better viewing angle, less dazzle & no drawbacks? Are you still as happy in Nov as you were in Jan?
Thanks for the kind words :)

Your car won't have the auto-dimming mirrors. I think they were available on the '19 builds and now the '21 builds so we missed out on that although I haven't heard many positive comments about the auto-dimming function.

I installed these 3 weeks ago, no drawbacks at all. As you said less dazzle and far better viewing angle.

My blue ones are sitting in a box 1000 miles away. I'm unhelpful at best :) Car was collected mid-March and I can't recall if it is autodimming or not...
IIRC they took a while to dispatch but then got a notification they were coming overnight from Dubai. Suspect they drop ship from China to UAE.

My car was mid-March and didn't have the dimming mirrors.

Reactions: M3noob
Just to add info regarding shipment/delivery, I ordered the blue ones on 30 December, was notified they had shipped on 4 January and they arrived yesterday (8 January). They were shipped from China by FedEx. Much faster than I expected. I haven't installed them yet, but hope to get to it in the next few days.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3-Newbie
Has your wingmirror glass arrived yet? How'd you get on with the installation?

hi sorry - not been on here for a while - I did not take action and order it - life got in the way! I’m sure the shipping will be a while and I just didn’t go online to order! Good reminder though - I’ll add this to the list of ‘not work things I need to actually take action on and get done’ :)

** edit just read posts above mine about rapid shipping.... ok so no excuse at all now :rolleyes:

Anyone else notice the difference between the OEM mirrors and the Hansshow mirrors? The Tesla OEM mirrors are heavy laminated glass and the Hansshow mirrors feel like plastic . . . big difference in weight.
Yes, the Tesla OEM glass is significantly heavier. Not sure why as the both share the same function, oddly I suspect the Hannshow mirrors to be more durable and less prone to breaking.

I'm really enjoying the Hannshow mirror glass, being able to easily see the kerb and the edge of the tyres is a big benefit. They're also great for night-time driving.

Probably the best enhancement I've added to the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Drew57 and KennethS