Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wider Model S stance and improved aggressive appearance with wheel spacers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In an early interview Franz von Holzhausen (I think it was Franz, been a while) talks rather proudly about one of the aero design elements of the Model S -- the wheels are slightly inset from the edge of the fenders, that way the spinning wheels break up the airflow along the side of the car less than if they were flush.

Who knows how much of an effect that actually has in the real world, but might be worth noting if you regularly push your car to it's range limits that Tesla made the decision to trade the nice looks of flush wheels for better aero.

The car looks great by the way, looking forward to hearing how it performs with the spacers. Would be interesting to see if energy consumption changes in any measurable amount.

In an early interview Franz von Holzhausen (I think it was Franz, been a while) talks rather proudly about one of the aero design elements of the Model S -- the wheels are slightly inset from the edge of the fenders, that way the spinning wheels break up the airflow along the side of the car less than if they were flush.

Who knows how much of an effect that actually has in the real world, but might be worth noting if you regularly push your car to it's range limits that Tesla made the decision to trade the nice looks of flush wheels for better aero.

The car looks great by the way, looking forward to hearing how it performs with the spacers. Would be interesting to see if energy consumption changes in any measurable amount.

Will check range, to the extent that comparisons are fair between one trip and another, when I head out to North Carolina on Thursday. I've made the trip many times but haven't kept records. First leg is to the Supercharger in Glen Allen, VA, so that should make a good comparison. Problem is I may have the ESE wheels on the car by then which may make a comparison moot, since the other trips have been made with Tesla's 21" and the Avant Garde 20s.

artsci,

One concern I have is the rotor retaining screw that does not sit flush with the hub. This means that the spacer won't sit 100% flush with the hub because of the slightly protruding screw. The stock tesla wheels and some aftermarket wheels have empty areas where this screw is and thus the wheels sit flush. I believe there are threads about this.

Found the link..

Show off your aftermarket wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulusdB
artsci,

One concern I have is the rotor retaining screw that does not sit flush with the hub. This means that the spacer won't sit 100% flush with the hub because of the slightly protruding screw. The stock tesla wheels and some aftermarket wheels have empty areas where this screw is and thus the wheels sit flush. I believe there are threads about this.

Found the link..

Show off your aftermarket wheels.

What wasn't a problem for me -- my wheels have openings in the right places.

The spacers should have the openings, not the wheels, @artsci. That's what @Periokid said.
I personally know of one forum member that ran into this kind of trouble with his Vossen setup, where the spacers didn't fit flush to the hub. In the end he drilled a hole in the right spot of the spacers.

The spacers should have the openings, not the wheels, @artsci. That's what @Periokid said.
I personally know of one forum member that ran into this kind of trouble with his Vossen setup, where the spacers didn't fit flush to the hub. In the end he drilled a hole in the right spot of the spacers.

Exactly @PaulusdB. @artsci, if you wheels were right on the hub, that is fine, but now your spacer is right on the hub with no room allowance for the retaining screw. I want spacers on my car but this will lead to the same problems others have had with aftermarket wheels that didn't allow for the retaining screw.