Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife’s phone key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sure this has been asked multiple times, but when searching I’ve found multiple answers and they seem to be from over a year ago so wondered if the method had changed.

what shall I do to set up my wife’s phone for our new model 3? Create her a new Tesla account or just log in using my account?

This is all "I think", so no better than the multiple opinions you already have ..

If you have 2+ cars you can have them on the same account, or get one "moved" to a different account.

If you self referred the 2x 1,000 Supercharge miles will be shared between both vehicles if on one account, if in spearate accounts then split so you would be having to use them up seaprately, within 6 months. I'll put change of 0% on Tesla doing that right at when they split the accounts!!

I have his/hers cars, and one for Sprog, and PowerWall, all on one account, so the rest of this is with that perspective:

2+ cars on one account you can "swipe right" for the other vehicle(s) (and PowerWall etc). We definitely use that - I get a holler from the other room "I'm leaving shortly can you put climate on my car ..." (no indication which car she is taking .. but ... :) )

Not sure how (if?) the APP would handle two separate accounts.

TeslaFi allows two cars to be on a single "display". I don't think it matters if both on same Tesla account (if there are multiple cars on Tesla account you get a picklist to choose which car is being logged - indeed you can chop-and-change and thereby completely screw up your historical stats data ...), or aggregate from two separate Tesla accounts. Either way you need two separate TesalFi accounts (and then "join" them).

TeslaFi for 2 cars is moderately pants. After it times out it reverts to Car One. So if you view Car 2, make a coffee, come back and press "Next day" or similar you revert to Car One. Making "current car" sticky would be better. It does do some "combination" things - combined heat-map for travel for example

TelsaFi doesn't handle 3+ cars at all.

If you or wife are having an affair then maybe separate accounts? :))

Reactions: melbrayporkpie
In the car, though, you can then assign different driver profiles to different phone keys.

They appear in the order set up ... FWIW I put Her Nibs in first on each ...

Actually I put her in, and then left it like that for the Collection, so all settings I made were in, and then I added mine which copied the "current" settings. If both/multiple created initially each will have to be set up from scratch.

You can't have one car in multiple Tesla accounts, so she'll have to login to your account.

In the car, though, you can then assign different driver profiles to different phone keys.
Supposedly you can now setup a new email address to add to your car through your online account settings. This then sends them an email to set up a Tesla account linked to the car. A lot of people online saying this is the way you should do it which is why I got confused! I think I’ll just login to my account on her phone like you say above, thanks guys!!

You can turn it off in the app and in the car for the profile/bluetooth (can't remember which). But if I have calendar events on in car and on my phone and wife goes to work (its her car) using her profile, she gets my calendar events as nav points. So we generally leave it turned off in the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: WannabeOwner
Can I add additional people to my Tesla Account?
Yes. You can add a secondary contact to your account. There are a variety of roles and capabilities within your Tesla Account.

(followed by a table listing what’s available to primary and secondary contacts - secondary can do everything except add new users)

I’d like to add an additional person to my account. How do I add a secondary contact to my Tesla Account?
You can easily add a secondary contact via your Tesla Account. Set up by following the steps below:

1. Log into your Tesla Account.
  2. In the top right-hand corner, click on ‘Account.'
  3. Under Personal Information, click on ‘Contact.'
  4. Add and edit secondary contact information as needed.
What if my secondary contact does not have an existing Tesla Account?
If your secondary contact does not have an existing Tesla Account, Tesla will send a welcome email along with a follow up email to change the password.

Source: Tesla Account Support

Reactions: house9
I know this is an older thread, but the process of adding a secondary contact is not longer the way to do this. (Or maybe it is just different in the US?)

Instead:
  1. Log into your Tesla account
  2. From "home", find the car in question, and press "manage"
  3. On the manage screen for the car, select "Car Access" to expand it and then "Add driver"
More details here: Tesla Account Support

I know this is an older thread, but the process of adding a secondary contact is not longer the way to do this. (Or maybe it is just different in the US?)

Instead:
  1. Log into your Tesla account
  2. From "home", find the car in question, and press "manage"
  3. On the manage screen for the car, select "Car Access" to expand it and then "Add driver"
More details here: Tesla Account Support
I tried this. Sent the link to my wife via text and email. When she clicks on the link it brings her to a screen. When she clicks on access vehicle it flashes and then nothing happens. I tried several times. Uninstalled and re installed the app on her phone. When she logs into telsa app with her own account it just lets her shop it doesn’t show my vehicle or anything. Any suggestions?