Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife caved! Question for Michiganders and others from cold climates.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couple of comments to OP, who hasn't owned a Tesla before:

Range anxiety is real! More range is better, but after a few months in your first Tesla you'll learn to manage your range anxiety. Of course this is personality dependant. I'm not sure what the stated range is on an SR+, but real range will usually tend to be less and you don't want the wife anxious about range every day.

Forget other cars as if pertains to heating/cooling the cabin. To get heat a gas car has to heat the engine, heat the antifreeze, then a fan blows over that to get warm air into the car. Teslas don't have that. There is about a 5 second delay to get heat in a tesla even when it's -10 outside. I believe it's an electric heating coil, but I'm sure others will jump in to correct me.
Imagine one of those plug in electric heaters in your house and how quickly they get hot. It's like that, and the fan immediately starts blowing heat. There is no engine to get warm first. It's little things like that that blew me away in my first Tesla.
AC works similarly, albeit just a bit slower (takes 10-15 seconds!)

I have an AWD model 3 now, and my S was AWD. I haven't been through a winter yet with the 3, but my S was a dream in a snowy Chicago alley, it plowed right through piled up snow. Handled great on slippery roads. The weight of the battery and the low center of gravity matters when driving through snow. I believe that there is tons of experience in Norway with RWD model S vehicles and mostly it is very positive, but as someone else mentioned- snow tires in that case. I think with AWD you can use all-seasons (I always did in my S), so work the price of snow tires into your calculation too (although those might be easier to slip by the wife in a few months.....)

SR+ is fine for your use case, with snows. You don't need AWD. Snows are far more important than AWD.

I would say having a Service Center out of state may be the bigger potential issue. The Mobile Ranger can take care of most issues, and I think AAA has a special coverage program to cover longer towing distances. Costs more, but may be worth it in your case, just in case.

...is a bunch more missing on the SR+?...

Something to be aware of for SR+:

1) Missing Bass Subwoofer: It just doesn't sound right when I can't feel the bass. (SR+ has 8 speakers instead of 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer and 2 amplifiers)

2) Missing Satellite map view: I think I can live with that but I'll surely miss it.

3) In-car internet streaming: SR+ can still do Bluetooth and Wi-fi streaming as a consolation prize. I think I can live with that but It'll surely inconvenient.

4) No internet browser: It's unclear whether Tesla will add this feature to SR+ in future or not. In the meantime, you can your small screen on your cell phone but it's too inconvenient.

5) No HomeLink for automatic garage doors (your car can do all that automatically to prepare for robotaxi someday that it would sneak out of your garage without a driver): Missing it would absolutely drive me crazy! I didn't have HomeLink for decades but once I got it I can't handle conventional manual remote controls anymore. Fortunately, you can pay $300 separately for Mobile Service to install it for you but it is still a hassle post-delivery.

I would would be all over that if I could do that now! The person I'm working with called me a while back - maybe end of last quarter and offered me that config. I just wasn't ready. I was still working on the wife acceptance factor at the time or I would have made it happen somehow.
It's the perfect combo for me. I love the acceleration but the wife doesn't like the ride of the 3P. It would be absolutely compelling for me in MI to not have performance suspension/wheels, keep the juice of the 3P and save some moola.
If you have more tips on how to do this - or a link I would be much obliged. Of course I'm going to search for one but I have a feeling it will be hard to find.
I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, just up to this post, so sorry if this has already been discussed, but...

Stop what you're doing, get that person back on the phone, and find out if the "stealth performance" is still available. If it is, buy it. Don't wait, as they sell within minutes... not days.

I was initially offered a white on white stealth performance, which is exactly the color combo I wanted. It took me til the following day to get the wife on board with it. The SA told me that it sold 30 minutes after I walked out the door. So I ended up getting about my third exterior color choice, and second interior color choice. And I couldn't be more thrilled.

I love the fact that my car doesn't have the performance suspension on it. And I could care less about the metal brake and accelerator pedals. Ditto with the brakes and spoiler.

SA's will also refer to this particular car as the "Model 3 Performance without the performance upgrade package." So if the SA doesn't know what you mean by "stealth performance," try that instead.

But if there is one available, you have to be ready to move fast on it.

Reactions: t0ddly
I would also suggest the Long Range Tesla Model 3. In worst case you'll probably lose 50% of range when using the heat and in the deep cold, so that's ~120 mile max, but at 90% that's more like 108 miles. Now factor in running the heat while the car is parked... that battery is going to get sucked down quick. Now maybe it's going to be more like 30 to 40% range reduction while driving (and you could turn off the pre-heat while the car is parked), for someone that isn't already doing the math (your wife), I wouldn't "cut it so close". If you've been having to talk her into it or prove that it's doable, she isn't going to want to walk out at the end of her day to her car showing 40 miles range left and she has a 25 to 30 mile drive home or something, that will just be stressful. Am I going to get suck in traffic for half an hour because of an accident and have to turn the heat off to save battery? What if there is an emergency at one of her stops and she stays two or three hours while the car is just outside running the heat? What if she wants to run out for some Christmas shopping after work and plans on doing 120 miles that day instead of 80? Again, for someone that's thinking about all those things and doing the math on their own they'll make the exceptions or plan a head with a 100% charge and maybe not running the heat at a couple of the longer stops, etc. For someone that isn't already focused on that, they're not going to want to worry about that at all.

Get the long range and even at 50% range loss she'll have ~140 miles at 90% which should leave a buffer of 60 miles on her longest days. At 30% range lose, which is probably more realistic for much of the winter she'll be near 200 miles when leaving the house for the day. That gives her a great couple day buffer, the ability to let that heat run as much as she wants, etc.

The long range also gives you the safety if power goes down for a couple days because of a winter storm to have ~200+ miles of range to stretch over a couple days until the power comes back.

If you were in a more mild state or had a 20 to 30 mile round trip then the SR+ probably is perfectly fine, but for deep cold 10 to 25F and up to 80 miles in a day, I would really push for a larger battery.

• Informative
Reactions: t0ddly
Stop what you're doing, get that person back on the phone, and find out if the "stealth performance" is still available. If it is, buy it. Don't wait, as they sell within minutes... not days.

After the discussion to this point i'm feeling a bit bipolar. I think i am going to have to go the LR route as my wife is a fairly anxious person - this means a slight delay while i focus some extra resources towards the financials.

Phlier - I am thinking you're probably right too - at about two grand on top of the LR AWD switch i gotta try for a stealth - ironically the car that I am going to sell (sadly) to help the situation IS a Stealth - different kind and year of course :D

My sales guy had one 3P(-) in Cleveland but it was a demo - I don't think I want to go the demo route and I wasn't ready anyway. Now I know I MUST find one - if I don't then I think I will be fine with LR AWD since even that beats my 5 sec 0 to 60 Stealth RT Twin Turbo at 4.4 secs. The 3P(-) 'Stealth' nickname makes this a bit easier to swallow.
Stealth1.jpg

I'm going to get ready to quick commit in case one comes up. If i don't find one by end of next quarter i will grab the LR

Thanks to all.

Reactions: Phlier
After the discussion to this point i'm feeling a bit bipolar. I think i am going to have to go the LR route as my wife is a fairly anxious person - this means a slight delay while i focus some extra resources towards the financials.

Phlier - I am thinking you're probably right too - at about two grand on top of the LR AWD switch i gotta try for a stealth - ironically the car that I am going to sell (sadly) to help the situation IS a Stealth - different kind and year of course :D

My sales guy had one 3P(-) in Cleveland but it was a demo - I don't think I want to go the demo route and I wasn't ready anyway. Now I know I MUST find one - if I don't then I think I will be fine with LR AWD since even that beats my 5 sec 0 to 60 Stealth RT Twin Turbo at 4.4 secs. The 3P(-) 'Stealth' nickname makes this a bit easier to swallow.
View attachment 457153
I'm going to get ready to quick commit in case one comes up. If i don't find one by end of next quarter i will grab the LR

Thanks to all.

If you definitely want a Stealth model ; they will turn up.
In August all the talk was it was a one time run in July and they will never be made again, every sales rep at Telsa was saying this.
Well here we are in September and there is a new batch of them showing up with Sept builds. I expect by another 2 weeks most locations will be getting a few.

I was convinced I was going to go the stealth route and been actively watching them for months, but due to a state rebate decided on the AWD version instead as the Stealth $2K premium become more than that once factoring in that model did not qualify for the rebate.
AWD non-performance is still plenty fast and most say would be closer to 4.0 than 4.4 if measured the same way as the performance is to get 3.2.

Re: Tam's comment above about Homelink
5) No HomeLink for automatic garage doors (your car can do all that automatically to prepare for robotaxi someday that it would sneak out of your garage without a driver): Missing it would absolutely drive me crazy! I didn't have HomeLink for decades but once I got it I can't handle conventional manual remote controls anymore. Fortunately, you can pay $300 separately for Mobile Service to install it for you but it is still a hassle post-delivery

Homelink does not come standard on any model 3 anymore.

Well here we are in September and there is a new batch of them showing up with Sept builds.

Stealth $2K premium

......... Federal $1875 tax credit goes away January 1st .......

Am I connecting dots? Or just talking out my rear?

(Mostly, the rear.)

But I think there's a possibility the "non-PUP Performance" edition becomes standard on new LR AWDs come January. So no price cut per se, but LR AWDs get an extra $2k in "value", negating the loss from the tax credits going away.

(Mostly, the rear.)

But I think there's a possibility the "non-PUP Performance" edition becomes standard on new LR AWDs come January. So no price cut per se, but LR AWDs get an extra $2k in "value", negating the loss from the tax credits going away.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a decent amount of requests for the performance but without the 20 inch wheels. The 18's ride a little better (from what I hear) and offer a little more protection when going over crappy roads. Also cheaper to replace if they're damaged and cheaper tires...

Other than that, it's really just opening up the electric motor via a software update. Not too much extra work on Tesla's part.

(Mostly, the rear.)

As someone who would love to pay in the future for a software upgrade on my AWD to make it a performance I hope that is true.
But if you follow the current P3D- thread on this forum, you will note all of the new AWD builds have a different model number rear drive unit than the P3D- and P3D+ cars have so it does seem unlikely they can make all AWD cars into these stealth performance models.
Time will tell.

While most would love to have the performance tuned engine, I am sure not everyone would. Range I imagine is a little worse, tire life as well. The speed difference is really just in the 0-40 range so driving at highway speeds the cars are the same.

Regarding price I think they have room to drop another $2000 or $1500 off the price of the AWD model and about the same off the SR+ with the SR being removed from even off menu. Think we see that in response to the federal rebate going away in January.

Hi guys, newb here.

Toddly, There are 3P- available now in Cleveland and Chicago and Pittsburgh (which can be purchased thru Cleveland). I put my order in for one yesterday, picking up tomorrow. I have an e-mail I could forward to you with links, or you could call a sales guy there.. Mine is a white 3P- with 19" wheels & Black interior for $51,500. I'm like you, the acceleration was the only thing making me want the Performance, so this is the best of both worlds to me.

I also have a referral link that will get you and I 2000 free Supercharger miles if you use it. Let me know if you want that.

Hi guys, newb here.

Toddly, There are 3P- available now in Cleveland and Chicago and Pittsburgh (which can be purchased thru Cleveland). I put my order in for one yesterday, picking up tomorrow. I have an e-mail I could forward to you with links, or you could call a sales guy there.. Mine is a white 3P- with 19" wheels & Black interior for $51,500. I'm like you, the acceleration was the only thing making me want the Performance, so this is the best of both worlds to me.

I also have a referral link that will get you and I 2000 free Supercharger miles if you use it. Let me know if you want that.

Well - things are swinging back to Q3 purchase mode - came up with a new plan to work the financials - Shemp - Message sent.

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: dmurphy and Saghost