Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife isn’t happy with MY (have 2), what options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

OCJeff

Feb 18, 2021
SoCal (RSM)
I recently received an offer from GMTV for $67k for 2022 MYLR with MSM/White/Inductions. Car has just over 1k miles on it. This is very tempting….

Only issue is, what we move into. I don’t want to pay for gas, and don’t want MBZ or BMW maintenance costs. So I’m thinking Mach-e (Long wait, or possibly dealer inventory) or Polestar 2 (3-4 week wait).

She likes the instant acceleration but is not happy with the technology flaws that are abundant in the UI. Also concerned if "it does, then the whole car is dead, not just the radio like a normal car". I’ve explained that all cars havenissues and some die, but most don’t. She is happy with the MY but cautiously happy.

Just curious if anyone else has faced this and what real world options are out there.

Ioniq5/EV6 are obvious choices
or ID4

I hear the Ionic 5 Is having a bunch of reported dead lead acid problems after just a few months ownership. These are some of the growing pains Tesla already had to go through. I really hate the interior of the Tesla and I love the interior of just about everything else in comparison but at the same time I don't trust anything else out there to work reliability until some of these companies have had their EV's in people hands for a good 5 years so we can see how they do long term with degredation or any other issues which may pop up in new production

Tesla has its issues but Its the only EV I trust at this point. My second choice at this point would likely be aplug in hybrid if I could find one.

Tesla has its issues but Its the only EV I trust at this point. My second choice at this point would likely be aplug in hybrid if I could find one.
All new EV seem to have problem with their batteries:

Reactions: WillwayGTO
Car has just over 1k miles on it.
This is not much at all. Sounds like she likes it otherwise. See if you can get her to be more specific about reliability issues especially if there have been none.
She likes the instant acceleration but is not happy with the technology flaws that are abundant in the UI.
Can you get more specific about what she doesn't like about the UI? I think familiarity with commands is helpful. Not to mention, the UI is likely to change (hopefully for the better).

If she wants to go electric and wants reliability, you both have a lot of work to do to find something. Ideally, she will give it more time. She will fall in love. It happens. Put stickers on the dash for the car to express its love and dedication to protecting her as well as it can. Make sure the car has a pet name.

Reactions: Dayreg
I recently received an offer from GMTV for $67k for 2022 MYLR with MSM/White/Inductions. Car has just over 1k miles on it. This is very tempting….

Only issue is, what we move into. I don’t want to pay for gas, and don’t want MBZ or BMW maintenance costs. So I’m thinking Mach-e (Long wait, or possibly dealer inventory) or Polestar 2 (3-4 week wait).

She likes the instant acceleration but is not happy with the technology flaws that are abundant in the UI. Also concerned if "it does, then the whole car is dead, not just the radio like a normal car". I’ve explained that all cars havenissues and some die, but most don’t. She is happy with the MY but cautiously happy.

Just curious if anyone else has faced this and what real world options are out there.
Hey, first of all that is a solid offer (wife & I looking to sell our 22 MYLR white/white/inductions with 1k mile in a few months) I'll make sure to check out GMTV. What were the other offers from other places, if you don't mind sharing?

For next car, I think Tesla's UI is among the best here; have her try a Ioniq 5 or EV6 (big pass on the ID4). Mach E's software is clunky (check out some of the Ford forums) and will, I think be worse. Polestar 2 & Volvo's C40 use Android based software and worth checking out. In fact, great review from Alex on Autos on the C40

If I were in your shoes, sit behind & test drive a few vehicles this weekend so you don't lose your $67k offer (I think we're at the peak of what buyers will tolerate paying for used Tesla's....merely my opinion), and order something to replace your MYLR once you sell it. Worst case? You can buy another new MYLR. $67k is a tempting & solid offer.

If your wife doesn’t want to deal with technology flaws, she probably shouldn’t drive an EV right now. We got a Volvo C40 for my wife recently. It drives great and has been excellent so far, but while waiting for the car to arrive I did a lot of research into the car and found a lot of issues people are having with the Volvo pure EVs (seemingly a lot worse than the Tesla stuff I see around here). I told my wife we’re basically beta testers and be prepared if/when problems arise. She’s on board with that (so far) and have been enjoying her C40 a lot.

• Informative
Reactions: Dayreg
Why ever buy 2 of the same car?
Every car has trade offs.
Buy two cars that complement each other.

I always had a Jeep Grand Cherokee and VW with a stick.

Now I’ve had an X and a Volt.

Now I have an S and will probably replace Volt with a small plug in SUV. Not a Y, too much Tesla.

The recent UI (v11) is indeed awful, but it's probably still the best car to own right now.

Your other options are:
  • Pay for gas and extreme dealer markups.
  • Buy an unproven EV and still pay extreme dealer markups.
And both of those options lack the supercharger network.

There is also the GV60z or if you can wait a bit the Fisker One.

My wife actually loves the Tesla UI for its live GPS/traffic, she listens to her fave podcasts and with Spotify chooses to hear whatever she wishes whenever, has her heated steering wheel, easiest wireless charging ever and I’m installing aftmarket auto present door handles so no more risk of nails on the manual handles lol. She also hasn’t seen a gas station in years and would ever go back to ice…she’d made that abundantly clear!

What we do miss is the quick heated seats, wish for a rear cross traffic alert (Toyotas corollas have this) and wish the fsd screen was a bit smaller to allow for a larger navi screen. Other then that, best interface in our view. Simple, clean.

Thats the piece that Tesla just doesn't get yet, when your the the only choice you can do whatevr you want, once there is enough choice out there things will change. I'd pay for a MYP with 19" tires, auto frunk, indash display or better suspension. Tesla is so focused on pushing out quantity that they don't really care what people want yet. They don't have the nfrastructure to add these options after market and are too consumed by production numbers to allow custimization at build.

Tesla is still the better choice
Show her the NHTSA safety rating, driving anything else puts your family in danger comparatively.

I thought the Teslas had all of the following features but it looks like just one of them.

1648920621572.png

Thats the piece that Tesla just doesn't get yet, when your the the only choice you can do whatevr you want, once there is enough choice out there things will change. I'd pay for a MYP with 19" tires, auto frunk, indash display or better suspension. Tesla is so focused on pushing out quantity that they don't really care what people want yet. They don't have the nfrastructure to add these options after market and are too consumed by production numbers to allow custimization at build.

Tesla is still the better choice

I thought the Teslas had all of the following features but it looks like just one of them.

View attachment 789124

No forward collision warning or automatic emergency braking? That's news to me.

Reactions: laservet