Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife isn’t happy with MY (have 2), what options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats the piece that Tesla just doesn't get yet, when your the the only choice you can do whatevr you want, once there is enough choice out there things will change. I'd pay for a MYP with 19" tires, auto frunk, indash display or better suspension. Tesla is so focused on pushing out quantity that they don't really care what people want yet. They don't have the nfrastructure to add these options after market and are too consumed by production numbers to allow custimization at build.

Tesla is still the better choice

I thought the Teslas had all of the following features but it looks like just one of them.

View attachment 789124
They actually have all those choices see model X or Y. Issue is you want all of those features but not the price point. Options cost money. I am fine with the packages offered personally.

All EVs today are basically computers on wheels and a failure there can render the car inoperable. There are a bunch of different computers though. You can drive the car even if the screen is broken or you reboot the infotainment system.

I think there are lots of good EVs out there, but none are perfect. However, if infotainment and UI responsiveness are important, I haven't been in a better car than a Tesla.

Thats the piece that Tesla just doesn't get yet, when your the the only choice you can do whatevr you want, once there is enough choice out there things will change. I'd pay for a MYP with 19" tires, auto frunk, indash display or better suspension. Tesla is so focused on pushing out quantity that they don't really care what people want yet. They don't have the nfrastructure to add these options after market and are too consumed by production numbers to allow custimization at build.

Tesla is still the better choice

I thought the Teslas had all of the following features but it looks like just one of them.

View attachment 789124

No forward collision warning or automatic emergency braking? That's news to me.

It actually does. It just wasn't' re-tested in 2021 after they removed the radar...

1648925946712.png

It actually lists them for the 2021 too... not sure where your image came from. I see.. this is w/Radar. Your image is no Radar, but the 2022 is no Radar. Doesn't add up.

1648926006437.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel L
Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate all the feedback.

I do agree that I think it's just more of a familiarity thing at this point. In the back of her mind she's concerned with it just "dying" like when the 12V battery goes out, and it becomes a huge brick in our garage (or even worse on a road trip) until it gets replaced. I don't have the Li-ion 12V and don't have the AMD processor either. If I didn't this wouldn't be a conversation.

I'm 100% in alignment with most comments made above (except the dude that recommended getting a new wife, that's not an option 😛). I agree that Tesla has already gone through most of their growing pains around battery technology, and how to manage/maintain them for longevity. The Supercharger network is nice, but we don't plan on many (any?) road trips (we could rent if needed), but if we did it's the best out there. My wife's patience for stopping to charge isn't there yet, but I don't want to dive into that.

I agree on the Ioniq5/EV6 but they are still a bit unproven. Same can be said for Mach-e and Polestar of course.

They upped the offer to $68K this morning, but that doesn't address the issue on this thread. Waiting until 2023 for a new MYLR isn't an option, and I'm not looking to dump another $6K in to expedite delivery with a MYP. Even at $68K, I would be walking away for $6K in profit from the original purchase price ($62K out the door).

This car market (specifically around EV's) is very interesting right now.

I'm confused. Does your MY have issues or your wife just thinks there are or will be issues? Staying off the forums will help a great deal. We've had minor inconveniences with the MY and we're on 17k miles just over a year. Each issue was fixed by mobile ranger. We did have an alignment issue early and was fixed at th SC. My whole family won't stop raving about it.

Reactions: Yelobird
Why ever buy 2 of the same car?
Every car has trade offs.
Buy two cars that complement each other.

I always had a Jeep Grand Cherokee and VW with a stick.

Now I’ve had an X and a Volt.

Now I have an S and will probably replace Volt with a small plug in SUV. Not a Y, too much Tesla.
I have to agree here. My wife and I both drive each others vehicle.. I really dont want her owning the exact same vehicle I have. As you pointed out, every vehicle has a pro & con.. even if its just price. Have one expensive car and one beater. Have one truck and one sedan. Have two SUVs.. but one big, one little for economy purposes.

You can only ever drive one vehicle at a time. And whenever my wife and I are together.. I'm driving. Its great to have options. In a dream world.. my wife would have a MYP.. and I would have a Rivian truck. Since we aren't dreaming and definitely aren't rich.. I have a Y and she has an ID.4.. because she wanted an EV after I purchased my Y and the ID.4 was $20,000 cheaper than a new Model Y last year. Its now close to $25K cheaper including the $7,500 tax credit.

I recently received an offer from GMTV for $67k for 2022 MYLR with MSM/White/Inductions. Car has just over 1k miles on it. This is very tempting….

Only issue is, what we move into. I don’t want to pay for gas, and don’t want MBZ or BMW maintenance costs. So I’m thinking Mach-e (Long wait, or possibly dealer inventory) or Polestar 2 (3-4 week wait).

She likes the instant acceleration but is not happy with the technology flaws that are abundant in the UI. Also concerned if "it does, then the whole car is dead, not just the radio like a normal car". I’ve explained that all cars havenissues and some die, but most don’t. She is happy with the MY but cautiously happy.

Just curious if anyone else has faced this and what real world options are out there.
A bit confused. You said she’s happy but only cautiously happy, then thread title said she’s not happy. So she never actually experienced any issues with MY but she’s just worrying that she might experience that in the future so she’s not happy now? Curious what ‘abundant technology flaws’ she sees in Tesla?

BMW X5 45e, the answer is keep the MY. But based on your post no other fully electric car would come close. Depending on how many miles are driven a day this would be the only logical choice.
We briefly look into X5 45e but to me it seems like the combination of worst of both worlds. The ICE components which mean lots of wasted space and weight, as well as continuing require maintenance. The car is huge but interior space usage is awful. Second row space is ridiculously tiny for such a large car and trunk space is small as well. On EV side, it comes with putrid 17 kWh battery that’s only good for 30 miles. It is super inefficient because needs to carry such a big car with heavy weight. And worst part is that charging speed limited to only 3-4 kw/h so that means if you do use it for commuting, it literally needs to be plugged in every single night for 5/6 hours to get fully charged. They really need to fix the charging speed as well as adding bigger battery.

Reactions: Destiny1701