Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife just said she's never driving the Tesla again......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
.....and she said she'd veto any future purchase and that she's done with electric cars.

We swapped cars tonight and she took the Tesla home and I took her Lexus and stayed at work in the Bay Area. She stopped in Manteca to charge. Pulled into 1A and only got 29 amps(about 10KW). After about 5 minutes she moved to 3B and got 129 amps(about 45KW) at 20% SOC(should have been at least 113KW).

She was the only one at the location. No other Tesla was charging.

I called Tesla while she was charging slow and was told they already know about this and that 1 and 3 are operating at reduced capacity. Manteca has been like this for months and it kills me that I didn't send her south through Gilroy instead. I just figured they'd have had this fixed by now. Big mistake.

When it's just me, it's no big deal. If I need to move 1 or 2 times to get a stall with a decent charge rate, I'll do it. But this is not something she's willing to put up with. I guess I can't blame her. It's a big bummer because I can't really give her a good argument as to why this should be acceptable. She called it a stupid $100K car again :(

What's worse is that Tesla already knows about this and isn't telling customers to prefer known good stalls over known bad stalls. In this case, an entirely different route was just about as fast and had we/she known, could have gone an entirely different way.

Tesla's supercharger issues aside, do you have to charge as part of your regular commute? That sounds unpleasant.

No. Normally I stay in the Bay Area for a night and then charge the next morning at work before headed home(260 mile round trip commute). But this time she came to Redwood City for a doctors appointment and we swapped cars so the Tesla went home without getting any charge at work.

No. Normally I stay in the Bay Area for a night and then charge the next morning at work before headed home(260 mile round trip commute). But this time she came to Redwood City for a doctors appointment and we swapped cars so the Tesla went home without getting any charge at work.
Wow, 260 mile round trip commute... that's hard. Best of luck to you.

.....and she said she'd veto any future purchase and that she's done with electric cars.... they already know about this and that 1 and 3 are operating at reduced capacity.... this is not something she's willing to put up with.
I'm amazed she's willing to drive a car with tires. Sometimes they go flat. And they can't be repaired instantly. Uh, wow. I guess it's insufficient for some people that they live in an age of miracles, but not everything works perfectly all the time.

Hey sorka, I hope you never suffer from any sort of subpar performance.:eek:

LOL my wifes an engineer and she doesnt notice any of the lights in her car ... you would think she would but ... nope

Apparently, when this one lights up it means the gravy is ready to pour...

oilpressurelight.jpg

On the charging point, I would expect some help from Tesla to at least warn me of such an issue before I've plugged in. If a gas pump was faulty, the gas station would hang an 'out of order' sign on it and get it fixed, wouldn't they?

I guess I can't blame her

My wife is the same - "It should just work". She hasn't Supercharged at all as yet, even though she drives home "slowcoach" mode once a month or so ... she does 25K annual mileage, so she's saving plenty of time (and a dirty, smelly job) standing-and-filly an ICE and then standing in line to pay. When I am driving and we stop to Supercharge she wants to get going when we have 1% margin ("We can always drive slow if prediction goes down").

Sorry, don't know what the answer is, but I absolutely and 100% agree that Tesla knowing that a stall is U/S and not building that into the on-screen display when you pull in to charge-up is unforgivable - such a trivial thing to build, and of so much benefit to so many Tesla drivers ... its absence is totally nuts :(

like the concept of ... range

Another bugbear of my wife's which i am sympathetic with.

"Why does the dash not show predicted range?" (Yeh, she knows she can call up the energy screen and see it there but "Why should I have to fiddle around like that, just show me the range based on last 30 miles driving ON THE DASHBOARD"), Rated or typical miles is useless to her.

I tried Percent for a while. She hated that !! ("But darling, just multiple by 2 and that will give you miles if you drive like a Loon, and multiple by 2.5 if you are prepared to drive home "carefully" ") ... nope, I got zero traction (Sorry!) with that approach ...

@sorka, sorry to hear about your wife's unfortunate experience. Manteca is frustrating. I've used it several times this year without a problem but clearly it has issues if even Tesla admits there is a problem there. On the plus side, it sounds like you will never have to drive your Lexus again. On the minus side, it may never get replaced with a Tesla.

My wife loves our S and talks about our upcoming Model 3 all the time. I am a fortunate man...

So, what happens when she pulls up to a gas station and the pump is out of order? Will she swear off the Lexus then and start bicycling?
That's not a fair comparison. Often, the gas station will have a sign stating the problem so that it's immediately clear to the user. Secondly, there's a beautiful (and rather easily attainable) way to provide the user with this information beforehand from inside the car. We'll probably get that in the future, but it just seems like a missed opportunity right now.

Well Gilroy has problems too. It is fast for about 5 minutes and then drops to around 50KW the whole way. This is on an unshared stall. Have you read the CA supercharger problem thread.

And yet people here are saying just report it. Tesla knows. They aren't doing anything about it. Again it seems like only in CA is where the problem exist.

These supercharging problems might be why tesla got rid of the free unlimited supercharging. It was costing too much to maintain without subsidies. I guess the point about encouraging road tripping in a tesla is over now.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: gowthamn and oktane
Status
Not open for further replies.