Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife just said she's never driving the Tesla again......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what you meant to say is that 75mph is the ideal driving speed. And this is only for one set driving distance, someone modeled it across various driving distances (realistic distances between various SpCs), and the sweet spot is somewhere in the 75-85mph range.

Indeed, that's why I said most of the time, and I gave just one example. There are clearly some specific instances where it's quicker to drive slower in order to avoid a supplementary charge.

Actually, it could be interesting to have a web app that computes that. While waiting at the SC, one could enter its destination (or next SC), current SoC and model, and the app would compute the ideal SoC to reach and drive speed, given the temperature, wind, maybe even the forecasted rain at the location. And @WannabeOwner could show that to his wife!

Maybe such app already exists, but probably not considering weather forecasts, which have a big effect up here in Canada.

Why do you keep repeating this when it's not true? Is it because you went to a couple of superchargers outside of CA and they happened to work while you were there?

It is well documented to be happening at Superchargers all over the country. I personally have observed severe early taper at Superchargers in Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas and Oklahoma. I have documented it in a couple of threads as well as cross posted in the CA specific thread you refer to. It does not happen at every Supercharger every time but happens often enough to generate threads of complaints.

Is there any consensus about the reason?

Now factor in most superchargers doesn't work properly
"Most" is a gross exaggeration. If what you stated was the case TMC and Tesla would be inundated with thousands of complaints every single day and it certainly would be a major news story.

"Some" would be accurate.
It does not happen at every Supercharger every time but happens often enough to generate threads of complaints
That is a reasonable description of the situation.

I deleted an earlier post, but the reason we do not have a Tesla in the harem yet is my wife. No BEV, regardless of brand for her at this point.
Times change, technology improves, but today, she simply prefers ICE even if they require constant refueling and get 12mpg.
She is slowly changing, and now picks a Volt (when available, they are the kids) over the Corvettes, Cadillacs, and trucks. She does like how an EV "feels", and doesn't miss having a clutch anymore.

And the larger issue is that she is not alone. There is a huge resistance to the technology by buyers. They only see the drawbacks (there are no free lunches, everything has it's benefits and faults) and cannot see the benefits unless they drive one constantly. It takes about a month IMO to really appreciate why an electromotive powertrain is a superior/luxury drivetrain.

My next step for her, since she like the Volts, is to get the CT6 PHEV if she likes the test drive. She doesn't mind plugging it at work or at home, but she does not want to plug in at remote locations. Baby steps.

Note: She is not a "stereotypical woman driver". She is professionally trained and competition licensed driver (NHRA, SCCA) who has won competition events, and has driven vehicles that go over 200mph and have over 1000hp at the tires.

My wife is on board with me having an electric car, and really pushed me to stay electric when I was deciding on what to get to replace my Leaf, but when I suggested that she use the Leaf over her minivan for the few months left remaining on the lease after my Tesla comes she balked. She doesn't want to deal with worrying about range and won't give up her automatic sliding doors.

I think I will be able to get her to upgrade to the new Caravan PHEV which has 30 miles of all electric range and another 500 miles of ICE range at some point. Maybe soon after Tesla will come out with a minivan.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Totally understand the frustration. But I'm glad that you only mention this happening only at Manteca. You are lucky. I've been having the same issues repeatedly no matter where I charge in California. It's extremely frustrating to switch stalls 3 times at each supercharger and have all of them deliver piss poor charging rates.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
Well Gilroy has problems too. It is fast for about 5 minutes and then drops to around 50KW the whole way. This is on an unshared stall. Have you read the CA supercharger problem thread.

And yet people here are saying just report it. Tesla knows. They aren't doing anything about it. Again it seems like only in CA is where the problem exist.

These supercharging problems might be why tesla got rid of the free unlimited supercharging. It was costing too much to maintain without subsidies. I guess the point about encouraging road tripping in a tesla is over now.

I invite you to look at the Knoxville, TN supercharger thread. Tesla even went so far as to list the superhcarger as offline even though it works (even if slower than it should). Maybe it's back listed as normal right now, I'm not sure but it's been temporarily closed more than once in the last few months and every time someone posts that you can still charge there even when it is listed as closed.

Like someone asked above...any ideas what is happening at these? Older circuitry? Poor installation quality?

How much leeway does Tesla have in getting these fixed? I assume they have to work with the local utility company who can prioritize the work as they see fit.

I see you're in VA....your parents have realistic expectations of when they will actually be able to take delivery of a 3, right? Sounds like they may be fine Bolt candidates, though. ;)

Did you not hear? Chevy is only sending Bolts to California and Oregon this year, maybe open up to a few more states next year. It's just going to be a compliance car. Not sure if they'll ever do Virginia.

"Most" is a gross exaggeration. If what you stated was the case TMC and Tesla would be inundated with thousands of complaints every single day and it certainly would be a major news story.

"Some" would be accurate.
That is a reasonable description of the situation.
I would normally agree. But so far every stations and every chargers I have been to never worked as advertised besides the ones I visited outside the states. And if you read my other posted in the CA supercharger problems you can see I have been to many of them and some multiple times at different stalls unsharing with any other teslas. If there was even 1 that worked I would say sure I might have really bad luck but there might be some that worked. My conclusion is few works as advertised.

Yup, never happened. Always an out of order sign on it. Of course there's the moment when it first stops working and an out of order sign hasn't yet been placed. How do I know this? It's because of the 4 pump handles, since we've been married, that have been attached to her car when she drives off that causes the pumps to be out of order:oops:

I don't even know what to say to that, but I'm sure Tesla will be happy to hear she's not going to drive any of their cars again and use the SuperCharger Network.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Another bugbear of my wife's which i am sympathetic with.

"Why does the dash not show predicted range?" (Yeh, she knows she can call up the energy screen and see it there but "Why should I have to fiddle around like that, just show me the range based on last 30 miles driving ON THE DASHBOARD"), Rated or typical miles is useless to her.

I tried Percent for a while. She hated that !! ("But darling, just multiple by 2 and that will give you miles if you drive like a Loon, and multiple by 2.5 if you are prepared to drive home "carefully" ") ... nope, I got zero traction (Sorry!) with that approach ...
IIRC the instrument cluster display in system 6.x did in fact clearly show you your expected range .... didn't it?

I called Tesla while she was charging slow and was told they already know about this and that 1 and 3 are operating at reduced capacity. Manteca has been like this for months and it kills me that I didn't send her south through Gilroy instead. I just figured they'd have had this fixed by now. Big mistake.
Thanks for the heads up. I was there yesterday and someone was already in stall 1A while I originally parked in 1B. I noticed that someone was leaving on 2B and I wasn't sure if it was paired with another stall 2A was taken also. I ended up in 2B for about 35 minutes. The person in 1A had some blue color contraption on his driver window blocking the sun while he snoozed. He was still there when I left. What's the protocol for taking the handicap spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.