Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife just said she's never driving the Tesla again......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Regular maintenance" of a Supercharger pedestal? I wonder what that involves..

I pulled into the Indio SC yesterday morning and it too had a white utility truck with a 'maintenance' guy working. I backed into the stall next to him and asked if I'd be in his way and he stood up, looked around as if wondering who I was asking. Not one other soul around, so I jokingly said 'you buddy, will I be in your way here or should I move?'. He grunted no. I offered a bottle of water from my cooler and he grunted no again. I asked what he was doing and he grunted 'just preventive maintenance'. The pedestal was opened up and he had a few hand tools on the ground but nothing complex going on. I would have peeked in and asked more questions, but he wasn't in the mood. Poor guy might be having the holiday blues.

Well my hubby can take my X away from me, never. He is patiently waiting for the 3 to come out so that we can both drive electric. We don't want anything further to do with gas but don't need another full sized vehicle. We do, however, need all wheel drive because of where we live and our driveway. And, for the record, the X does have a lighted vanity mirror...

I bought our Tesla late at night on an impulse and told her while she was sleeping. :-O
Seemed to work out OK. |-)
It's her car and she loves it. It took some time before she was comfortable with the planning requirements, but now, she charges to 100% the night before any trip longer than 100 km. She takes it on long road trips by herself for her business, knows the super chargers and J1772 chargers on her routes and plans accordingly without any problem.

Meanwhile I still commute in my Smart ED every day.
Waiting for my Model 3 ...

Well if you're comparing us to most of the people on the planet,
Well then yea, duh! I feel fortunate to have been born in the US of A but "rich" can be subjective. I live in one of THE most taxed,expensive counties in the country, Nassau County. If my wife and I made the same salaries in the midwest then yea, I would be rich. Here we are middle class. But somehow I can afford a Model S that my wife refuses to drive. While that works just fine for me I am easing her into the idea of an EV because I plan on getting a Model 3 giving us 2 EV's. I have had the S over 3 months now and she has driven it exactly 1 time! And that was because I forced her to give it a shot. That could have been a bad move on my part but it worked out :)
She does not have supercharger patience, dislikes the seats, mirror,door,seat heater , phone charger location, low ride and uh........I tuned her out at that point :)
Her loss, my gain :D

On the topic of bad Supercharger experiences, I think none can beat a bad gas station experience. A decade ago I was on a road trip to go to a wedding. I pulled into a gas station, and while I was refueling the hose detached from the pump and drenched me and the car in gasoline. The flow from a gas hose is insane without the pump handle. By the time the attendant shut off the pump, there was gas everywhere, and the there was $250 of gas on the ground. The result? All of my clothes (shoes included) ruined. Some go inside the car. Had hours to drive in gasoline fumes. It was an absolute nightmare.

And guess what: I didn't decide then and there I was done with ICE cars. Hopefully I will be by next month. I'll take SC wait over toxic shower anytime.

My wife is perfectly happy driving our 2009 Prius with 240K miles on it that is now worth $5K and vastly prefers it even more now that she knows she can no longer trust Tesla's charging infrastructure. She comes from an extremely humble background and does most of her shopping at the Dollar store. She put herself through college working full time without any other financial assistance. You really shouldn't be making idiotic classest assumptions about people just because they don't want to wait 4 hours to charge instead of 2 minutes to fill up.

She might enjoy a Volt. It's a bit nicer than a Prius, quicker, more nimble, steadier at high speeds, and can use the HOV lanes.
Charging is optional. It's more fun to drive it on pure juice, but the ICE is quiet and smooth as well. They can be had with Adaptive Cruise, Lane Keep Assist, Blindspot Warning, Cross Traffic warning, Automatic Braking, etc. And they do the Carplay and Android Auto stuff.

The switch from Internal combustion to electric is not easy for everyone, especially for those that are anxious about changes and want things to be simple (e.g. the way they have always been). Personally, I find supercharging to be an improvement over gas stations with all the associated toxic vapors, cigarettes, microwave burritos and such, but some people understandably don't like the limitations that superchargers pose. As far as total trip time, I don't think it is that different; by the time you shop around for the gas station with the best price (you know you do!), and wait in line behind a Chevy Yukon or two filling up and walk in to pay and wait to use the bathroom and pick up a snack, you have used up the better part of a half and hour. I kind of like how relaxing super charging is, I know I have 30-40 minutes to kill, so I take a walk, find a snack and a bathroom and more often than not my Tesla App beeps that charging is complete before I am actually ready to return. I find that I arrive at my destinations more relaxed and refreshed and happy. But, like I said, it takes a mental shift to move away from the old ICE/gas station routine and some people are just not ready to embrace it yet, which is fine.... each to their own.

Reactions: APotatoGod
My God, what a horrible experience! I can't top that - although I did drive away with a nozzle in my SUV and have to pay several hundred dollars to the gas station for ripping off their hose.

The hoses are designed to break away without damage which is what happens most of the time. My wife is an expert at doing this. She's done it 4 times :oops: The first 3 times the stations charged here anywhere from $0 to $50 because only the breakaway device was broken. However, the last time, they tried to charge her $300. She called me asking what she should do. Sensing a scam, I told her to pay nothing and give them her insurance information and that the station could pursue this through insurance. They then changed their tune and said if she paid $50 on the spot, they'd call it even. I told her to do as long as she got a receipt saying the damage was paid for in full with that which they did.

The switch from Internal combustion to electric is not easy for everyone, especially for those that are anxious about changes and want things to be simple (e.g. the way they have always been). Personally, I find supercharging to be an improvement over gas stations with all the associated toxic vapors, cigarettes, microwave burritos and such, but some people understandably don't like the limitations that superchargers pose. As far as total trip time, I don't think it is that different; by the time you shop around for the gas station with the best price (you know you do!), and wait in line behind a Chevy Yukon or two filling up and walk in to pay and wait to use the bathroom and pick up a snack, you have used up the better part of a half and hour. I kind of like how relaxing super charging is, I know I have 30-40 minutes to kill, so I take a walk, find a snack and a bathroom and more often than not my Tesla App beeps that charging is complete before I am actually ready to return. I find that I arrive at my destinations more relaxed and refreshed and happy. But, like I said, it takes a mental shift to move away from the old ICE/gas station routine and some people are just not ready to embrace it yet, which is fine.... each to their own.

I don't think that is a valid description of most people's experience at gas stations. I virtually never spend more than 5 minutes at a gas station. I don't care about saving a few cents per gallon and every gas station has pay at the pump. If I'm on a road trip I might have to run in and pee but that is at most another 5 minutes (and if you run in while the gas is pumping you can do it even faster). At least around the southeast, with very few exceptions, I generally never see lines at gas stations.

... I think none can beat a bad gas station experience. A decade ago I was on a road trip to go to a wedding. I pulled into a gas station, and while I was refueling the hose detached from the pump...
That certainly is worse, although still less expensive, than the one of mine I related above.

Here's another one that a guest once told
us: he was driving through Saudi Arabia in his Land Cruiser and told the attendant to fill 'er up with diesel.

When he returned to the vehicle, the attendant was still pumping away...and there was diesel pouring out of every door seal. The fellow had stuck the nozzle in the LC's cabin air intake!

If you look at threads in Texas and Southeast you'll find that multiple SC are having issues, new ones that have only been open a few weeks to days, Sweetwater, Shreveport, Birmingham, Knoxville was out for weeks and may still be. So it isn't just in CA that the SC have issues. And since the SC density is low in TX and the Southeast there aren't really many options if you were planning on a 20 minute stop and then can't find even a destination charger within range of the the SC you planned to use.

For those who aren't married and are dating, dont you see whether they get and appreciate EVs and especially Tesla as a kind of litmus test?

If some dating candidates are too dumb or otherwise can't see the obvious superiority of EVs and especially Tesla, then that disqualifies them. It's like cigarette smoking, lower back tattoo or a personality disorder --- maybe fun to date for a short while, but no long term potential

We have two EVs in the house (Kia Soul EV, Zero SR) and are getting a Model S around the end of the year (CPO). Learning how to manage charging for trips has been interesting and fun. It's also included some white knuckle moments as we learn the limits, but the neat part is that as we've learned where they are it becomes much more routine and relaxing. And for local trips we literally never think about battery level for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.