Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife just said she's never driving the Tesla again......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP's story is tough and I wish the two of them well in their marriage.

$8,400-worth of destroyed injectors later - and 46 hours stuck in Twin Falls, Idaho shopping mall desert - I swore I never would buy another ICE vehicle, after being pole-axed with dirty fuel.

Of course, that industry only has 160 years of experience behind it. Once it matures, things might get better.

When I told my wife charging would add 1 hour to a 5 hour trip, she said absolutely not. When I told her if we did it in winter we might have to restrict use of the HVAC, she laughed at me. She loves the Tesla because I love it so much, but she's not going to make compromises in the convenience/comfort department to drive it.

These are things I personally would put up with to drive the car, but Tesla does presently yield a lot of advantages to ICE cars, especially cold weather trips in supercharger poor areas.

@sorka, sorry to hear about your wife's unfortunate experience. Manteca is frustrating. I've used it several times this year without a problem but clearly it has issues if even Tesla admits there is a problem there. On the plus side, it sounds like you will never have to drive your Lexus again. On the minus side, it may never get replaced with a Tesla.

My wife loves our S and talks about our upcoming Model 3 all the time. I am a fortunate man...

Yeah, my wife says you can pry her P85 out of her cold, dead hands and she's excited to get my P90DL when I get a new P100DL sometime next year. Apparently, there's not enough power in the P85 anymore... it was fine when she first got it, lol. Ludicrous launches have spoiled her. :)

So the wife has never pulled into a gas station only to find the pump doesn't work (or the auto payment) AND it's not marked as not working? Wow, how incredibly lucky for her. Just inform her that that does in fact happen, so pulling into SuperChargers and finding one not working up to snuff shouldn't be a biggie. Just. Move. The. Car. To. A. Different. Charger/Pump. ;)

My wife is the same - "It should just work". She hasn't Supercharged at all as yet, even though she drives home "slowcoach" mode once a month or so ... she does 25K annual mileage, so she's saving plenty of time (and a dirty, smelly job) standing-and-filly an ICE and then standing in line to pay. When I am driving and we stop to Supercharge she wants to get going when we have 1% margin ("We can always drive slow if prediction goes down").

Sorry, don't know what the answer is, but I absolutely and 100% agree that Tesla knowing that a stall is U/S and not building that into the on-screen display when you pull in to charge-up is unforgivable - such a trivial thing to build, and of so much benefit to so many Tesla drivers ... its absence is totally nuts :(
I agree, I don't like hearing this. My parents finally started to show some interest in Tesla... If this happened to them or they heard about it, they'd be super furious & again not have any interest in Tesla.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I am not sure why no press has caught wind of the supercharger problems. I guess someone should contact them. I think the limited 400KWh annual supercharging is just the start of the problem.

I am willing to put up with paying for gas if it was quick and I can be on my way ASAP. This is one of the benefits of gasoline/hydrogen. However if you now make me pay for something that will force me to stay extra time???!!! I don't know how well this will end. Now factor in most superchargers doesn't work properly. Will I have to pay for those super slow KWh too???!!! I am just expressing some of my thoughts.

I seriously hope there is some alternative. My money is in VW. They are force to spend some pretty pennies on charging infrastructure after their diesel scandal so I hope they can take the SAE Combo to its limit or better yet, implement a competitive supercharging stations. I am still for tesla, but sometimes they make me wonder if they are really more than just a hype machine.

Sorry to hear about your charging problems, we have never run into those issues, sometimes the charging rate is a little slow but we are never on a time line so not an issue. We ran into a pin problem on on charger plug and just went to another stall. My wife complained that she loved her Mercedes SUV and did not want to sell it, but one she started driving her Model X she does not miss the ICE car what so ever. It is all I can do to pry it out of her hands so I can drive it.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Add me to the list of people whose wife will probably never drive the Tesla. She just isn't comfortable driving it and doesn't particularly see any advantages. To her it is something expensive she could crash. I also cannot imagine driving on a long family trip with her and my son. I think she could handle the waiting during supercharging, but driving out of the way to get to a supercharger and adding drive time is a much tougher sell especially with a 3 year old in back.

When we do short trips as a family we do always take the Tesla. It is my commute and around town car.

My wife is the same - "It should just work" .......snip.......
I get that at work, and I get that when I get home, where it's my assignment to keep our network zooming along. If I had $1 for each time I heard, "it was working just a few minutes ago" - (the inside words i say - "so? One minute the spaceship Challenger is speeding along & the next minute POOF - it's not ... so quit saying that!).
SO - maybe after the next major earthquake, or Brown out, and the Lexus can't be gassed up, he gets to say," stupid $70,000 car".

Good thing we weren't all born 150 years ago - we'd have to keep pulling over in the Calistoga wagon to feed the mule team. We rough it by camping in a 4 bed, 40' marble floored, self leveling, climate controlled, satellite equipped, soundproofed, rolling estate suspended on a cushion of air. Boo hoo when the outside LED TV goes out.

Last edited:
That's not a fair comparison. Often, the gas station will have a sign stating the problem so that it's immediately clear to the user. Secondly, there's a beautiful (and rather easily attainable) way to provide the user with this information beforehand from inside the car. We'll probably get that in the future, but it just seems like a missed opportunity right now.

It was a joke, apparently you missed it.

I deleted an earlier post, but the reason we do not have a Tesla in the harem yet is my wife. No BEV, regardless of brand for her at this point.
Times change, technology improves, but today, she simply prefers ICE even if they require constant refueling and get 12mpg.
She is slowly changing, and now picks a Volt (when available, they are the kids) over the Corvettes, Cadillacs, and trucks. She does like how an EV "feels", and doesn't miss having a clutch anymore.

And the larger issue is that she is not alone. There is a huge resistance to the technology by buyers. They only see the drawbacks (there are no free lunches, everything has it's benefits and faults) and cannot see the benefits unless they drive one constantly. It takes about a month IMO to really appreciate why an electromotive powertrain is a superior/luxury drivetrain.

My next step for her, since she like the Volts, is to get the CT6 PHEV if she likes the test drive. She doesn't mind plugging it at work or at home, but she does not want to plug in at remote locations. Baby steps.

Note: She is not a "stereotypical woman driver". She is professionally trained and competition licensed driver (NHRA, SCCA) who has won competition events, and has driven vehicles that go over 200mph and have over 1000hp at the tires.

ea78d988-2048-4b40-b522-dd56c67c252e.jpg

classic ;)

i keep telling myself im going to let my wife drive mine .. but ya that hasnt happened yet... Then my 16 year old even asked if she could drive it . she also got a no ... my wife drives a bit odd and the 1st time realizes the car doesnt do what she expects when she lets off the gas i'm never going to hear the end of it

So, what happens when she pulls up to a gas station and the pump is out of order? Will she swear off the Lexus then and start bicycling?

First, she won't stop at a broken pump due to the out of order sign. Secondly, if she did, she wouldn't waste 10 minutes of time before realizing she's not getting any fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.