Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife locked out, both fobs not working, her phone denies her access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doghousePVD

My grandfather’s car
Dec 3, 2018
New England, USA
I’m away and can activate car.

She changed the battery on one fob. Deleted and reinstalled app. Rebooted phone. We verified multiple times the credentials. No joy.

Car is charging now. Had new 12 battery installed less than a year ago.

So two problems.
1) Neither fob works. I’ve asked her to buy new batteries, but it seems unlikely both would die at the same time.

2) Her iPhone can’t connect to the car. Mine connects fine.

Car was driven yesterday, and has a 50% charge. Car connects to my WiFi, as usual. Home WiFi is gigabit fiber.

Any ideas? Wife not happy.

I’m away and can activate car.

She changed the battery on one fob. Deleted and reinstalled app. Rebooted phone. We verified multiple times the credentials. No joy.

Car is charging now. Had new 12 battery installed less than a year ago.

So two problems.
1) Neither fob works. I’ve asked her to buy new batteries, but it seems unlikely both would die at the same time.

2) Her iPhone can’t connect to the car. Mine connects fine.

Car was driven yesterday, and has a 50% charge. Car connects to my WiFi, as usual. Home WiFi is gigabit fiber.

Any ideas? Wife not happy.
Has she tried the key card

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
Looks like you are checking the right things. Ensure her phone is not using any wifi. It's possible an issue with phone. As mention above, try that for the FOB. Last I would think to uninstall the app from phone and re install. the FOB has be stumped. On our X it take an odd size battery. I'd ensure correct battery is being used.

Looks like you are checking the right things. Ensure her phone is not using any wifi. It's possible an issue with phone. As mention above, try that for the FOB. Last I would think to uninstall the app from phone and re install. the FOB has be stumped. On our X it take an odd size battery. I'd ensure correct battery is being used.
Wi-Fi or LTE on phone should not matter.

Are you using separate account or the same account. This isn’t Model 3/Y type issues.

If using two accounts try having wife login to your account.

All else fails remove app from phone and reinstall but that probably won’t help with S/X but can with 3/Y.

Silly question, OP, but you mention "rebooting the phone" and "reinstalling the app", but you dont mention rebooting the car (unless you cant reboot a model X like you can a 3?)

in the short term, if wife is using her own credentials for the app, try having her use yours. Kind of strange for both keyfobs to stop working at the same time. That implies its something on the vehicle, perhaps the hardware which receives the fob signal.

popcorn.gif

The phone connection to the car uses Bluetooth. Make sure that her bluetooth is working. Turn it off, then on. Try going to airplane mode, then back on. Rebooting the phone should have fixed that, but it might be misconfigured. If you have access to other bluetooth connections (like bluetooth speakers) via that specific iPhone, try them to be sure bluetooth is working.

The phone connection to the car uses Bluetooth. Make sure that her bluetooth is working. Turn it off, then on. Try going to airplane mode, then back on. Rebooting the phone should have fixed that, but it might be misconfigured. If you have access to other bluetooth connections (like bluetooth speakers) via that specific iPhone, try them to be sure bluetooth is working.
Model S/X does not use Bluetooth in any way to unlock the car. Model 3/Y does.

Ah, sorry, my mistake. (Presumably those 2018 comments from Elon never came to fruition?)

What protocol does the Tesla app on iPhone use for opening the Model X? Wifi, NFC, Cell data? The same idea would hold true in that you need to determine why that protocol is not working.
IP to the cloud and IP from cloud to car. Might be Wifi, might be cellular data; that part is agnostic.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Ah, sorry, my mistake. (Presumably those 2018 comments from Elon never came to fruition?)

What protocol does the Tesla app on iPhone use for opening the Model X? Wifi, NFC, Cell data? The same idea would hold true in that you need to determine why that protocol is not working.
When using your phone with S/X it uses the phones Internet (cell or Wi-Fi) to contact mother ship which is talking to car via the car being on the Internet (Wi-Fi or cell). It’s amazing how quick it is though. I don’t think it sets up a direct link once it’s connected, but it could.

BTW I locked my phone in the car today using it. No biggy Dongle was in the house but a reminder that it’s just a back up method. Dongles work fine normally.

Still have problems. Wife drove Prius to airport, car still not operative sarked in our driveway.

She did not have a separate account. I set up a new account for her. Rebooted car and iPhone. Deleted and reinstalled app. Used new credentials.

She could get in, message on app said "Ready to drive", however car would not start. Car message was "No Key in car". Left Fob right next to cigarette lighter. Same thing when I used my cellphone to drive - car would unlock, but could not start.

Will try to get service.

So yesterday my Model X completely went dead and has not re-boot since. I went in the vehicle to grab something out and the driver door opened but then a flash happened and the whole car went dead the door would not open any further and is really hard to open or close and will not close all the way at all. I have tried re-booting it and it will not connect to the app either. Tesla roadside said that I need to tow it to them, however, I dont know how the tow truck will get it out of my garage. The other problem is that my wallet is locked in the glove box. Has anyone else had this problem? I have about 60K miles on it.

yesterday my Model X completely went dead
Could be a dead 12V battery. There is a way to access wires for a trickle charge. Please start a new thread for this problem.

@doghousePVD car has forgotten the fobs. Fob board could be bad. Tried full power off reset? Phone can allow the car to drive but need to enter password on the phone which just unlocking does not require.

So yesterday my Model X completely went dead and has not re-boot since. I went in the vehicle to grab something out and the driver door opened but then a flash happened and the whole car went dead the door would not open any further and is really hard to open or close and will not close all the way at all. I have tried re-booting it and it will not connect to the app either. Tesla roadside said that I need to tow it to them, however, I dont know how the tow truck will get it out of my garage. The other problem is that my wallet is locked in the glove box. Has anyone else had this problem? I have about 60K miles on it.
Sometimes the 12 volt battery goes flaky with weird effects and little warning. You can open the frunk with the secret straps near the bumper (Google for details) and you can get to the battery with a charger. That will power the doors, keys etc. You should be able to open the glove box.

You have to replace the 12 v battery, usually covered the warranty.

What sort of flash happened? Like electrical short, or something else?

The tow company (if sent by Tesla) will know these details.

Could be a dead 12V battery. There is a way to access wires for a trickle charge. Please start a new thread for this problem.

@doghousePVD car has forgotten the fobs. Fob board could be bad. Tried full power off reset? Phone can allow the car to drive but need to enter password on the phone which just unlocking does not require.
Tesla is coming to tow the car to Massachusetts, three hours away.