Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife locked out, both fobs not working, her phone denies her access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car does not drive, as I wrote above. Not with phone permission and not with fob next to cigarette outlet. If I could drive with the phone, I wouldn't have started this thread.
Just trying to be clear about what is happening. When the phone app keys button is used to allow the car to drive the car should not be expecting the fob and should not be showing "No Key in car". There is a 2 minute timeout from the time the password is entered and the permission expires. It is odd that both fobs stopped working and even more unusual that the app also cannot engage the car.

Edit: Apparently not so unusual Locked out of Model X - Both Key Fobs not working

Last edited:
Still have problems. Wife drove Prius to airport, car still not operative sarked in our driveway.

She did not have a separate account. I set up a new account for her. Rebooted car and iPhone. Deleted and reinstalled app. Used new credentials.

She could get in, message on app said "Ready to drive", however car would not start. Car message was "No Key in car". Left Fob right next to cigarette lighter. Same thing when I used my cellphone to drive - car would unlock, but could not start.

Will try to get service.

This has to be a more universal problem, the same phone start thing is happening in my 2014 model s. I just had the MCU upgraded to the new version. Your signature says you have a 2018 so that couldn't possibly be the issue with yours. So, anybody come up with ideas? Did service get back with you?

This has to be a more universal problem, the same phone start thing is happening in my 2014 model s. I just had the MCU upgraded to the new version. Your signature says you have a 2018 so that couldn't possibly be the issue with yours. So, anybody come up with ideas? Did service get back with you?
Just trying to be clear about what is happening. When the phone app keys button is used to allow the car to drive the car should not be expecting the fob and should not be showing "No Key in car". There is a 2 minute timeout from the time the password is entered and the permission expires. It is odd that both fobs stopped working and even more unusual that the app also cannot engage the car.

Edit: Apparently not so unusual Locked out of Model X - Both Key Fobs not working
Yes, it is weird so that's why I posted, and why now the car is being towed.

She could get in, message on app said "Ready to drive", however car would not start. Car message was "No Key in car". Left Fob right next to cigarette lighter. Same thing when I used my cellphone to drive - car would unlock, but could not start.
Yes! That exact same thing just happened to my 2014 Model S this spring, as shown in this post in the mobile app thread:

Exactly. That's not how the remote driving from the app is supposed to work. When you activate that, it is obviously not supposed to throw an error about "key fob not in the car". Remote driving activation isn't supposed to have the key fob. That is defective functionality when it is doing that, which is what I saw.

When I reported it to service, they did have to push a software update to my car, which fixed the remote driving feature. I never had any problems with my key fobs while this was going on though, so that is probably an un related problem.

While you are waiting for a tow.... try something:
I have recently found that I have a new hobby- showing local Tesla owners how to resuscitate their dead Teslas if they let the main battery (and subsequent 12 volt battery) discharge completely. Have helped several people on the Tesla Forum and even one of my associates who thought he could charge his 2019 Model S up to 100% and then fly to India for 3 weeks (and got stuck there for 6 weeks with the pandemic and cancelled flights. We knew this was going to happen!). Each model Tesla has different challenges. I am surprised more owners have not learned what to do when the Triple A guy

The strategy is the same for each car- have the main Tesla battery charger ready to go, get access to the 12 volt battery or the hot leads in the fuse box, jump the 12 volt battery until there is enough charge to open the charge port, and charge the car!

For the Model X (my car), you need to pull the plastic cover off of the front left side of the car and get access to the two pull cables labeled 1 and 2, release them sequentially, then open the frunk. Pull the housing off the flat part in front of the windshield and just behind the frunk, pop the fuse box in the left side (the battery is deep behind the frunk, you cannot get to it) and locate the hot lead and plug the hot lead of the charger to that and the ground of the charger to chassis, turn on charger and wait. When the car wakes up, open the charge port and charge.

(I also suggested leaving the 12 volt charger attached for a while to get the 12 volt battery up a little, until there is enough main battery charge to continue to charge the 12 volt).

There are some useful hints if you look at page 9 of Model X Reset Techniques

Upgraded Model S to 2021.32.20 and not both key fob are not working (unsure whether the upgrade was the cause, but it was working before).
Replaced battery in one of the key fob, but still not working.

After opening with app, the key is not recognized while inside the car.
Position the key where they ask, but not recognized either.

Open a service request, but Tesla is looking to charge $384 to fix the problem that seems to be a malfunction.
Any ideas on what I should try next?

When using your phone with S/X it uses the phones Internet (cell or Wi-Fi) to contact mother ship which is talking to car via the car being on the Internet (Wi-Fi or cell). It’s amazing how quick it is though. I don’t think it sets up a direct link once it’s connected, but it could.

BTW I locked my phone in the car today using it. No biggy Dongle was in the house but a reminder that it’s just a back up method. Dongles work fine normally.
So if no cell service, am I in trouble? decidedly rural with lots of cellular “ dead” spots. Delivery of X pending

When I took delivery of my current Model S neither fob worked to start the car. Got the no key in car. This was during delivery, and they had no idea what was wrong. What ultimately fixed it was to remove the batteries from both fobs at the same time. Don't ask me why? Doing one at a time didn't fix it. We were in the vicinity of the car during all the battery swapping, but I don't know if that is a requirement. My wife remembered that our service associate had her do that on our previous model s. He said he knew it sounded weird but try it.

Maybe it's that they are close to each other when they are first powered on?

Last edited:

”When using your phone with S/X it uses the phones Internet (cell or Wi-Fi) to contact mother ship which is talking to car via the car being on the Internet (Wi-Fi or cell). It’s amazing how quick it is though. I don’t think it sets up a direct link once it’s connected, but it could”

Does this mean that I am in trouble opening the locked model X if in an area with neither cell service or wi-fi? Please say it isn’t so…. Delivery due in January and I am frequently in cellular null zones.

”When using your phone with S/X it uses the phones Internet (cell or Wi-Fi) to contact mother ship which is talking to car via the car being on the Internet (Wi-Fi or cell). It’s amazing how quick it is though. I don’t think it sets up a direct link once it’s connected, but it could”

Does this mean that I am in trouble opening the locked model X if in an area with neither cell service or wi-fi? Please say it isn’t so…. Delivery due in January and I am frequently in cellular null zones.
Normally I open the car with fob.

I'm not sure if they have updated the newer Model S and X. But from the older cars, yes, that is exactly how that worked. It was not a direct connection to the car. Mobile app went to internet, then to Tesla servers, then out to internet to the car. The remote driving with the phone was not an original feature of those cars--it was added later and wasn't intended to be the primary method. All of those cars came with key fobs.

When the Model 3 came out, that was different. They DID NOT come with key fobs. So their primary method was phone to direct Bluetooth connection to the car that did not require external internet access. So I am not sure if they have updated in the newer Model S and X to have the external Bluetooth sensors and the ability to connect that way.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
I'm not sure if they have updated the newer Model S and X. But from the older cars, yes, that is exactly how that worked. It was not a direct connection to the car. Mobile app went to internet, then to Tesla servers, then out to internet to the car. The remote driving with the phone was not an original feature of those cars--it was added later and wasn't intended to be the primary method. All of those cars came with key fobs.

When the Model 3 came out, that was different. They DID NOT come with key fobs. So their primary method was phone to direct Bluetooth connection to the car that did not require external internet access. So I am not sure if they have updated in the newer Model S and X to have the external Bluetooth sensors and the ability to connect that way.
I think I’m going to be in deep do-do. Should lock car in rural areas ( temptation esp. with a Tesla) but maybe can’t,? I’m on a wildlife refuge quire often , in the middle of no where and hills block cell reception. Might be 16 miles before I can get cell.

I think I’m going to be in deep do-do. Should lock car in rural areas ( temptation esp. with a Tesla) but maybe can’t,? I’m on a wildlife refuge quire often , in the middle of no where and hills block cell reception. Might be 16 miles before I can get cell.
If you are getting the refreshed version (with the horizontal screen), you will be able to use the proximity card, the key fob, or you can setup your phone as a key. If you are getting an older model, it does not have a prox card; and cell service is required to unlock using your phone. But the key fob works w/o cell service.