Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife locked out, both fobs not working, her phone denies her access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I’m going to be in deep do-do. Should lock car in rural areas ( temptation esp. with a Tesla) but maybe can’t,? I’m on a wildlife refuge quire often , in the middle of no where and hills block cell reception. Might be 16 miles before I can get cell.
I don't get this. Why would you think you would have any problems? Every car ALWAYS comes with a method to get in that does not require any cellular or internet connection. The S and X come with regular key fobs. The 3 and Y come with that RFID card that can be held up against a sensor on the door pillar.

What I described with using the phone app over the internet connection is just an extra secondary way to access the car.

Reactions: doghousePVD
I don't get this. Why would you think you would have any problems? Every car ALWAYS comes with a method to get in that does not require any cellular or internet connection. The S and X come with regular key fobs. The 3 and Y come with that RFID card that can be held up against a sensor on the door pillar.

What I described with using the phone app over the internet connection is just an extra secondary way to access the car.
The way I understood it, the MX key fob functions via cellular transfer of unlocking code. does it work if put near the door sensor without cellular? I suppose I’ll find out when I take my new MX onto the wildlife refuge and lock it with Sentry mode. Let’s hope it is not a hard lesson Because there isn’t any Tesla road ranger or cellular connection. Only a very very long walk to get to where I could get a tow for a very very long way.

ok. I just read that the issue is using the phone to unlock the door, not the key fob. So I guess the key fob communicates by something not dependent on anything to do with computer/cloud. I just get nervous with all the talk of key fobs not working. Yes, I will change batteries in fobs ! Advanced beginner in technology 101.

Last edited:
The way I understood it, the MX key fob functions via cellular transfer of unlocking code. does it work if put near the door sensor without cellular? I suppose I’ll find out when I take my new MX onto the wildlife refuge and lock it with Sentry mode. Let’s hope it is not a hard lesson Because there isn’t any Tesla road ranger or cellular connection. Only a very very long walk to get to where I could get a tow for a very very long way.

ok. I just read that the issue is using the phone to unlock the door, not the key fob. So I guess the key fob communicates by something not dependent on anything to do with computer/cloud. I just get nervous with all the talk of key fobs not working. Yes, I will change batteries in fobs ! Advanced beginner in technology 101.
Correct. The key fob uses pseudo bluetooth to communicate with the car directly (no cell or Internet required). But key fobs do fail sometimes. That is one of the reasons you get two of them.

The way I understood it, the MX key fob functions via cellular transfer of unlocking code.
No, no, not at all. That would require an extra cell plan, with a SIM card for LTE, etc. etc. It's nothing like that. It's just the same old standard super-simple wireless transmitting to the car that key fobs have been doing for 20+ years. It just sits in your pocket, and when you get close to the door, it's in range, and it unlocks.
does it work if put near the door sensor without cellular?
Yes, it's directly talking to the car--no cellular at all.
ok. I just read that the issue is using the phone to unlock the door, not the key fob. So I guess the key fob communicates by something not dependent on anything to do with computer/cloud. I just get nervous with all the talk of key fobs not working.
Right, the key fobs are direct to the car and more reliable. My wife doesn't carry a purse, so she wants to just use that remote driving from her phone, which does rely on a few communication steps, because it's cellular (times 2) and needs AT&T's network to be functioning, and needs Tesla's servers to be functioning. So when she does this a lot, there is sometimes about once every year or two that there is some communication problem somewhere, and it doesn't work. So then she has to call me to come bring a key fob. But it's rare enough and we're local around town enough that it's not too much of a bother.

Reactions: Prairie