Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife locked out with phone key in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife put her purse and school bags in our Model 3 (new owners only two weeks) from passenger side. Walked around car to drivers side but car was locked. Both the black key and phone were inside. She called me, and I pressed the unlock on my phone and the car did unlock. (I was 26 miles away) But now the driver profile couldn't be selected. She drove home and when I entered car with my phone I couldn't select my driver profile as well. The drop down would "flash" but not stay up so I could select anything. Also map was not showing our home location but a location in another state. I did a reboot (steering wheel buttons) and all seems ok now. But should the car lock the doors with her phone inside.

Wife put her purse and school bags in our Model 3 (new owners only two weeks) from passenger side. Walked around car to drivers side but car was locked. Both the black key and phone were inside. She called me, and I pressed the unlock on my phone and the car did unlock. (I was 26 miles away) But now the driver profile couldn't be selected. She drove home and when I entered car with my phone I couldn't select my driver profile as well. The drop down would "flash" but not stay up so I could select anything. Also map was not showing our home location but a location in another state. I did a reboot (steering wheel buttons) and all seems ok now. But should the car lock the doors with her phone inside.

I havent tested it, but there may be different logic (as in electronic logic) built into the car with using the passenger door vs drivers. I am guessing, but I suspect that part of the cause might have been her existing the car on the drivers side, it closing, then her going to the passenger side opening and putting her belongings in, then closing the door.

Again, I havent tested it, but could see where that might cause an issue.

But should the car lock the doors with her phone inside.
It shouldn't, and I'm not clear on what happened.

So, the car was unlocked, she put her stuff inside and closed the door and the car locked? That suggests it lost contact with the phone and did the walkaway lock. That shouldn't have happened.

It's possible that if she went back to the driver's side and pulled out the handle and held it, it would have recognized the phone and opened the door.

There have been Tesla thefts due to fob/phone/card left inside.
Yes. What happens is you lock the car manually with the phone (not the card) inside. As soon as anyone pulls out the door handle it will unlock.

That happened to me when I had a tablet "key" in the trunk. I'd be surprised that walkaway locking didn't work, I'd lock it, but it would turn out it wasn't locked at all.

Demo:

Thanks all for your responses, very helpful and video was interesting and something I hadn't thought about. After I posted, my wife mentioned that she had her lunch in the car and the screen map kept jumping around displaying different locations all by itself - at one point displaying a location in Mexico (car was in San Diego). So there might have been a glitch of some type which created the locking problem. At any rate the re-boot I did seemed to fix things. This did freak out my wife, who is not very tech savvy, and was afraid someone was hacking her car from Mexico. She had just seen a report about Tesla hacking on the news. Of course none of this helped my case of selling her on how great the car is. Only had the car a short time, but I love it and can't see myself going back to an ice car. Thanks again everyone.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
This always freaks my out with my Tesla... A chance that I put my coat down in the winter on rear seats, close the read door and.... I'd be unable to open the driver's door anymore, staying out freezing.

I had a Toyota for many years and it never-ever-ever had locked me out while my keyfob was inside. Even when the keyfob was in the trunk. With my Tesla, I don't enjoy this trust anymore. For this reason, I bought the $150 keyfob and I'm keeping it in my pocket all the time every time. (I know women might have an issue since their clothing doesn't always have a pocket...)

This always freaks my out with my Tesla... A chance that I put my coat down in the winter on rear seats, close the read door and.... I'd be unable to open the driver's door anymore, staying out freezing.

I had a Toyota for many years and it never-ever-ever had locked me out while my keyfob was inside. Even when the keyfob was in the trunk. With my Tesla, I don't enjoy this trust anymore. For this reason, I bought the $150 keyfob and I'm keeping it in my pocket all the time every time. (I know women might have an issue since their clothing doesn't always have a pocket...)
Why not put a keycard in your wallet as backup? Or does your wallet go in your winter coat?

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I locked my self out with the keycard in the cup holder and the telephone on the seat. I had to find my other key card in my house to get in. After I retrived my telephone, I find that it is not interfacing properly with my car any more. I used to walk up to my car and my headlight would blink and I could just get in and drive. Now my telephone would not unlock the door nor would it allow me to start the car. After an hour of fiddling around pairing and connecting to the internet and pushing the airplane mode a few times it will keep the car in the run mode if laying in the cup holder but that is about it. One change I had to make make was going to my profile and removing my easy entry mode. This seems to have happened about the same time as the last update. I guess I will just wait untill the next update before I make a big deal about it and find out I have made some simple misadjustment on the car or the phone.