Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife replacing BMW X3M40i - looking at Model Y or BMW iX3 - decision time!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We already have a Tesla Model 3 Performance that is my daily driver - this is a 2023 model year (that has USS fitted).
The wife has a 4 1/2 year old BMW X3M40i that we want to replace and it makes sense to look at replacing it with an SUV EV - as she prefers a higher riding vehicle than a sedan.
We test drove a BMW iX3 and a Tesla Model Y Performance - to see which one she prefers.
Below are our observations on both cars & their test drives:-

BMW iX3
This has single motor and in fact rear wheel drive vehicle - despite being an X car!
The external styling looks very nice and the interior quality is way better than a Model Y.
0-60 is much slower than the Tesla at around 6.5 seconds - but mid range acceleration was perfectly acceptable.
The car we tested was fully loaded and had more toys than the Tesla - including Head Up Display, Apple CarPlay, sports seats and USS!

Advantages of the iX3
Full suite of safety sensors - USS, 360 view cameras, blind spot, radar, auto parking, auto cruise control with lane keep.
Full leather interior with very comfortable sports seats
Head up display
Apple CarPlay
Runflat tyres (we had a puncture in our Model 3 and had to be towed to a tyre place by Tesla recovery service)
999,999km full service contract (all BMWs in this country are supplied with a service contract that includes replacement wiper blades, brake discs, pads etc as well as the regular sercviing)
200,000 km full warranty
Panoramic sunroof

Disadvantges of the iX3
No frunk
Slower performance than the Tesla
No YouTube, Netflix etc.
More expensive than the Tesla - especially after the Tesla price reduction this week!
Two wheel drive - compared with the Tesla’s twin motor 4WD

Model Y Performance
This is familiar territory as we already have a Model 3.
It was interesting to compare the ride quality & performance with the Model 3 - I was pleasantly surprised at how well it rode over bumps, having read that the Model Y suspension was too firm. We never found any problems with the ride quality - even on the large 21” wheels.
The performance & handling felt very similar to the Model 3.
Disappointing that the demo we drove and the ones that are available in stock do not have USS (with no visibility when this function will be restored)

Conclusions
The BMW iX3 is the facelifted version compared with our M40i - so is a welcome interior upgrade.
For our needs - the BMW wins hands down over the otherwise excellent Model Y Performance.

What actually swung it even further in the BMWs direction was the full suite of sensors - including front radar and the USS.
We get very extreme fog here in the winter and the radar can spot vehicles through the fog - that we cannot see with the vision system on the Tesla.
We are also very disappointed by the way Tesla removed USS - without first sorting out the software to replace it by vision (if that will ever be possible)

Interested to hear other people’s views!
Cheers
Steve

CA388EA6-9B59-4866-B62A-B363D9B837F7.jpeg
7678959A-23E1-46F1-AAFA-3706E8067ABC.jpeg

We were comparing the Model Y performance to the i4. Pretty comparable in price. Absolutely loved the i4, but the ground clearance is what killed it for us. Couldn’t get it up the driveway from the street, but if that wasn’t an issue for us, I probably would have gone with the i4. The big difference is price. Once you option everything out on the BMW it will be more expensive than the standard features you can get on the Tesla. If money is no object….then I could see why you would land on the BMW. It’s more refined.

Thanks for the review. Just curious, did you guys ever consider the Audi Q4 e-tron?
We also test drove one of these. Very nice car, but I didn’t find the driving position comfortable for me with where my arms rest etc. maybe a dumb reason, but that was why I kind of ruled it out. That and the RWD version is the only one aligned with the Y price. If the AWD was about $10,000 less….well….that would be very tempting.

Reactions: SteveM3Perf
I really liked Apple CarPlay in my Audi A4, but the entertainment system in the model Y is fantastic and I don't miss CarPlay. The software is very good and the huge display is very satisfying while driving. I've heard that other car brands are still catching up to Tesla in terms of software reliability, features, and OTA updates.

The USS thing is a big deal depending on where your wife parks. Mine does not have USS. I can pull forward into a parking spot if I can see the curb before I pull in. A tight spot feels like parking blind. I can live with this, but I don't have to parallel park every day.

I chose a Tesla because of the negative stories about charging other EVs on road trips. I'd happily go back to an Audi or another German make if I thought their software was up to par. I find the ride quality fine, but a bit softer would be nice.

It's weird what you find important after owning a car. The frunk is pretty handy for groceries, especially in the winter. I'm a woman about 5'2 and the placement of arm rests is very comfortable. The way they designed the windows makes the view stunning - so much glass. I do a lot of driving just for fun now.

My wife had two X5s, one X3 and now a YP. She really likes the plug-in/electric part of the Tesla but misses the fit and finish of BMW. That said, saw a iX the other day and thought it looked nice. She didn't pay too much attention as she is currently in love with the Y and doesn't want to stray lol. Her BMW dealer told her she would be back. FWIW, I have a RX350 and a MXP on order. We'll be fighting over the charger in the garage. Good luck!

Reactions: SteveM3Perf
I am not surprised you found Tesla's suspension an okay after driving X3. I found the distance reported by the car fairly reliable. I do have sensors on my 22MY though. Is there a difference in software, anyone? I mean, does my car's software still uses the sensors? If not, then the missing USS is not a problem.

The BMW iX3 is not sold in the US. Note the OP is in Abu Dhabi.
It is made in China, so likely will never be sold in the US due to import tariffs from China.
It's a fun comparision for those in EU and other markets.

But it's not even a comparison with the price difference, and performance 280 HP RWD (6.8s) vs 400 HP+ AWD (4.8s or 4.2s with AB).
But that's IMO. There's more to a car than just it's performance.

I really liked Apple CarPlay in my Audi A4, but the entertainment system in the model Y is fantastic and I don't miss CarPlay. The software is very good and the huge display is very satisfying while driving. I've heard that other car brands are still catching up to Tesla in terms of software reliability, features, and OTA updates.

The USS thing is a big deal depending on where your wife parks. Mine does not have USS. I can pull forward into a parking spot if I can see the curb before I pull in. A tight spot feels like parking blind. I can live with this, but I don't have to parallel park every day.

I chose a Tesla because of the negative stories about charging other EVs on road trips. I'd happily go back to an Audi or another German make if I thought their software was up to par. I find the ride quality fine, but a bit softer would be nice.

It's weird what you find important after owning a car. The frunk is pretty handy for groceries, especially in the winter. I'm a woman about 5'2 and the placement of arm rests is very comfortable. The way they designed the windows makes the view stunning - so much glass. I do a lot of driving just for fun now.
I absolutely love the Audi fat Etron. It hits all the right marks for me except for range and no one-pedal driving. Both are major deal breakers for me. A shame because It's pretty, dead silent, smooth and fitted with high quality leather.

I absolutely love the Audi fat Etron. It hits all the right marks for me except for range and no one-pedal driving. Both are major deal breakers for me. A shame because It's pretty, dead silent, smooth and fitted with high quality leather.
Check out the EQS. It looks much better than the GLS, and it makes Auti a VW as it should be. It's a pity they have no charging infrastructure.

I'd go with the Model Y. It has AWD which can help give you a better level of safety. It also comes with easy over-the-air software updates (that will hopefully restore the parking distance indicators soon) plus all the vehicles that Tesla produces are 100% electric, whereas Audi, Mercedes and BMW are not even close to that yet. They are unfortunately splitting their attention between gasoline-powered and electric vehicles, even with the service experience. That will change in a few years when they all go 100% electric, but they are not there yet. Who is or isn't trained to work on electric cars at those other companies? Can they quickly service your vehicle? That's a valid concern.

The experience that Tesla already has with EVs is significant, and you can use the fast Supercharger network. Also using the Tesla app, it's easy to request service. Even the purchase process for a new Tesla is so easy that it's really a game changer. I really like it.

Last edited:
I am not surprised you found Tesla's suspension an okay after driving X3. I found the distance reported by the car fairly reliable. I do have sensors on my 22MY though. Is there a difference in software, anyone? I mean, does my car's software still uses the sensors? If not, then the missing USS is not a problem.
Your 22MY and my 22MY with the sensors are still using the sensors. The cars without sensors are doing nothing for parking still.
Seeing how long it is for them to get a Vision only parking update out, I don't have much confidence in it and hope they keep the USS equipped cars using the USS and not the Vision once the update comes out.

Reactions: sfRonH
Decision factor should be based on your preference
There are a bunch of EVs to choose now. They are all decent
I am not buying e-trons or some iX or some other vehicles what will be replaced and forgotten shortly regardless of the build quality they have
There are a lot of factors. You might as well get the Lexus because of the proven reliability history if that matters to you.

Reactions: sfRonH
The biggest reason we went with a Tesla was the Tesla ecosystem.

Two 2023 Teslas, purchased in the USA, MYP and M3RWD

From beginning, doing research to today living in the Tesla ecosystem, its amazing:

Forums and great passionate people sharing their positive experiences, Tesla Nation.View attachment 918067
The app experience, amazing from pricing to deposit to documents to delivery to service, etc.View attachment 918067
Customer service, where I am lucky enough to have a service center in my town, with fantastic staff and management.View attachment 918067
Accessories, the market is amazing with cost and quality effective accessories. Tesla's own accessories are quality, 2x Gen 3s, CCS', tire repair, jackets, vessel, etc.View attachment 918067
Build quality, both models have been flawless.View attachment 918067
Ride quality, great.View attachment 918067

Yes way, our next three EVs, adult children buying, will be Teslas!!

We sold my wife's 2018 X3 M40i and my 2018 Macan GTS when we moved from CA to FL last year. We bought a 2022 MYP as our sole car. As far as I'm concerned, the MYP is a worthy replacement for either car. It has the neck snapping acceleration of the M40i ( and it clearly beats the Macan GTS which had turbo lag). The handling and interior of the MYP was no Porsche or BMW, yet the ride is quite acceptable (and even fun to drive) and the interior seems more roomy than both.

Would your wife be happy with the MYP? Hard to say. Although my wife was happy with the MYP, she missed the 360 parking camera, the heads-up display and missed having buttons/controls for A/C, wndshield washer etc. - ie, she is not a voice command person or even an App person. But her Bluetooth Android phone let her in the car, at least when she remembered to turn on Bluetooth :).

Three months ago we decided that sharing 1 car was too much of a compromise and she wanted a second SUV. Long story short, she thought the new
Genesis GV60 Performance was cute (you either love or hate the quirky design). I read the good reviews and was reassured by it being a sibling of the Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5. Only problem was that it was not being sold in FL. So we took a leap of faith and I went to NJ to buy one (without markup).

And wow - she found her M40i replacement right down to the clunky key fob and start button on the dash :). She loves the thing. Buttons galore, excellent acceleration, windshield washer stalk in the right place, 360 birds eye camera, incredible heads-up display, real radio buttons with her favorite Sirius XM channels, and more (she doesn't use Apple Car play or Android Auto but it has it (not wireless at this moment).

So Genesis was a great option for her. I agree with her for the most part. Range is rated less but in the real world is similar to the MYP. In the US you get three free years of Electrify America charging and the 350kw charge rate at some stations can take you from 10 to 80 percent in 18 minutes. The App however is way behind Tesla - it takes 30 seconds to check SOC, and you have to press 3 buttons to locate the car. It doesn't do real time car tracking or sentry and If you want to see static pics of all 4 quadrants, you make a request in the App and then wait a couple of minutes.

So there is no perfect EV SUV. Yet, I didn't know a thing about EV's last year and now I wouldn't drive anything else!

We sold my wife's 2018 X3 M40i and my 2018 Macan GTS when we moved from CA to FL last year. We bought a 2022 MYP as our sole car. As far as I'm concerned, the MYP is a worthy replacement for either car. It has the neck snapping acceleration of the M40i ( and it clearly beats the Macan GTS which had turbo lag). The handling and interior of the MYP was no Porsche or BMW, yet the ride is quite acceptable (and even fun to drive) and the interior seems more roomy than both.

Would your wife be happy with the MYP? Hard to say. Although my wife was happy with the MYP, she missed the 360 parking camera, the heads-up display and missed having buttons/controls for A/C, wndshield washer etc. - ie, she is not a voice command person or even an App person. But her Bluetooth Android phone let her in the car, at least when she remembered to turn on Bluetooth :).

Three months ago we decided that sharing 1 car was too much of a compromise and she wanted a second SUV. Long story short, she thought the new
Genesis GV60 Performance was cute (you either love or hate the quirky design). I read the good reviews and was reassured by it being a sibling of the Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5. Only problem was that it was not being sold in FL. So we took a leap of faith and I went to NJ to buy one (without markup).

And wow - she found her M40i replacement right down to the clunky key fob and start button on the dash :). She loves the thing. Buttons galore, excellent acceleration, windshield washer stalk in the right place, 360 birds eye camera, incredible heads-up display, real radio buttons with her favorite Sirius XM channels, and more (she doesn't use Apple Car play or Android Auto but it has it (not wireless at this moment).

So Genesis was a great option for her. I agree with her for the most part. Range is rated less but in the real world is similar to the MYP. In the US you get three free years of Electrify America charging and the 350kw charge rate at some stations can take you from 10 to 80 percent in 18 minutes. The App however is way behind Tesla - it takes 30 seconds to check SOC, and you have to press 3 buttons to locate the car. It doesn't do real time car tracking or sentry and If you want to see static pics of all 4 quadrants, you make a request in the App and then wait a couple of minutes.

So there is no perfect EV SUV. Yet, I didn't know a thing about EV's last year and now I wouldn't drive anything else!
Hi,
Yes - my wife really likes the look of the Genesis GV60 and it would be perfect for her - but they have not launched them yet where we live (nor the Hyundai or Kia equivalents)
cheers
Steve