Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife replacing BMW X3M40i - looking at Model Y or BMW iX3 - decision time!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We already have a Tesla Model 3 Performance that is my daily driver - this is a 2023 model year (that has USS fitted).
The wife has a 4 1/2 year old BMW X3M40i that we want to replace and it makes sense to look at replacing it with an SUV EV - as she prefers a higher riding vehicle than a sedan.
We test drove a BMW iX3 and a Tesla Model Y Performance - to see which one she prefers.
Below are our observations on both cars & their test drives:-

BMW iX3
This has single motor and in fact rear wheel drive vehicle - despite being an X car!
The external styling looks very nice and the interior quality is way better than a Model Y.
0-60 is much slower than the Tesla at around 6.5 seconds - but mid range acceleration was perfectly acceptable.
The car we tested was fully loaded and had more toys than the Tesla - including Head Up Display, Apple CarPlay, sports seats and USS!

Advantages of the iX3
Full suite of safety sensors - USS, 360 view cameras, blind spot, radar, auto parking, auto cruise control with lane keep.
Full leather interior with very comfortable sports seats
Head up display
Apple CarPlay
Runflat tyres (we had a puncture in our Model 3 and had to be towed to a tyre place by Tesla recovery service)
999,999km full service contract (all BMWs in this country are supplied with a service contract that includes replacement wiper blades, brake discs, pads etc as well as the regular sercviing)
200,000 km full warranty
Panoramic sunroof

Disadvantges of the iX3
No frunk
Slower performance than the Tesla
No YouTube, Netflix etc.
More expensive than the Tesla - especially after the Tesla price reduction this week!
Two wheel drive - compared with the Tesla’s twin motor 4WD

Model Y Performance
This is familiar territory as we already have a Model 3.
It was interesting to compare the ride quality & performance with the Model 3 - I was pleasantly surprised at how well it rode over bumps, having read that the Model Y suspension was too firm. We never found any problems with the ride quality - even on the large 21” wheels.
The performance & handling felt very similar to the Model 3.
Disappointing that the demo we drove and the ones that are available in stock do not have USS (with no visibility when this function will be restored)

Conclusions
The BMW iX3 is the facelifted version compared with our M40i - so is a welcome interior upgrade.
For our needs - the BMW wins hands down over the otherwise excellent Model Y Performance.

What actually swung it even further in the BMWs direction was the full suite of sensors - including front radar and the USS.
We get very extreme fog here in the winter and the radar can spot vehicles through the fog - that we cannot see with the vision system on the Tesla.
We are also very disappointed by the way Tesla removed USS - without first sorting out the software to replace it by vision (if that will ever be possible)

Interested to hear other people’s views!
Cheers
Steve

CA388EA6-9B59-4866-B62A-B363D9B837F7.jpeg
7678959A-23E1-46F1-AAFA-3706E8067ABC.jpeg

I just want to learn more about this BMW warranty. There is an unlimited service contract included, and a 200k km full warranty on every BMW in your country?
Hi,
Yes that is correct

999,999km full service contract - runs until April 2029
200,000km vehicle warranty - runs until April 2028
160,000km high voltage battery warranty - runs until April 2031

Cheers
Steve

• Informative
Reactions: woolymammoth17
I had this dilemma 18 months ago. Despite ordering ix3 I eventually ended up with MY. And tbh it was a wise choice. Number of reasons in no particular order. Superchargers/towing capacity/rear boot capacity/golf trolley in bonnet/ range/lack of drive tunnel /price difference 10k/twin mobile phone wireless charging. The HUD is no big deal in fact it is irrelevant after awhile. There are way too many buttons and knobs on the centre console. I lost count on the front fascia switches.
But if you're a bmw lover then just buy it, why ask.

Reactions: Dennisis
I had this dilemma 18 months ago. Despite ordering ix3 I eventually ended up with MY. And tbh it was a wise choice. Number of reasons in no particular order. Superchargers/towing capacity/rear boot capacity/golf trolley in bonnet/ range/lack of drive tunnel /price difference 10k/twin mobile phone wireless charging. The HUD is no big deal in fact it is irrelevant after awhile. There are way too many buttons and knobs on the centre console. I lost count on the front fascia switches.
But if you're a bmw lover then just buy it, why ask.
We also discounted the iX3 and instead bought the iX.
The iX has the more modern ID8 with far less buttons - so more like our Tesla Model 3 in that respect.

Choosing an EV. We are four years into EV ownership and on our 2nd EV, also just completed a 10,000km (6,250 mi.) road trip through the southeastern US. Best road trip vehicle ever, and I grew up with a lot of vehicles as my Dad owned a Chrysler dealership and my last ICE was a BMW. As others have mentioned when comparing EVs it is more than just a different powertrain with different bells and whistles. Some things I suggest paying close attention to include:
- Value: price, TCO
- Range: efficiency, heat pump
- Charging: preconditioning, max KW, charging curve, network locations and reliability
- Route planning built in to Nav system with automatic charge planning
- Software: monthly OTA updates with new capabilities
- Safety: systems, rating, record
- ADAS/driver assistance, on the roads you use most often
- Performance
- Maintenance: almost none, battery life track record, right-to-repair non critical systems, local mechanics

Reactions: Dennisis
I'd go with the Model Y. It has AWD which can help give you a better level of safety. It also comes with easy over-the-air software updates (that will hopefully restore the parking distance indicators soon) plus all the vehicles that Tesla produces are 100% electric, whereas Audi, Mercedes and BMW are not even close to that yet. They are unfortunately splitting their attention between gasoline-powered and electric vehicles, even with the service experience. That will change in a few years when they all go 100% electric, but they are not there yet. Who is or isn't trained to work on electric cars at those other companies? Can they quickly service your vehicle? That's a valid concern.

The experience that Tesla already has with EVs is significant, and you can use the fast Supercharger network. Also using the Tesla app, it's easy to request service. Even the purchase process for a new Tesla is so easy that it's really a game changer. I really like it.
I wish I agreed. I’ve had way too many service visits that fail to fix problems. It is good that they have an EV focus and experience. I just wish my car were more reliable and had a much better user interface.

What am I missing here, I looked at all the BMW's talked about in this thread and I see a gigantic price difference. I understand the OP got a deal but this is not the case for everyone. How can you even compare the 2? So we are all comparing 90-100k vehicles against a 47-57k vehicle.........not making a whole lot of sense. I'd hope there would be a better build quality and better features for double the price.

Reactions: xcyber