Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife's new car = ICE thanks to FRT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen a few 911s and some M3/M5s being replaced by MS/X here. that said, many households have multiple cars to start with. but at least they have used an EV rather than an ICE. (Who can resist walking into a cool car on a hot day AND not needed go breath fumes on a tuesday/wednesday? I dont miss gas pump runs for sure - between mom and i we love driving till the last drop of gas and whoever gets a car with range less than required distance will have to go fill up. now we only have to plug in at home.)

I take it that the FRT forced you to buy a gas guzzler ?

It's more liked WITH the FRT exemption it says - buy a cool Tesla for half the price of a super / hyper car; and WITHOUT the FRT exemption it says - the govt DOESN'T want you buying a cool Tesla.

Tesla's local market share says it all (with the FRT exemption applied to all EVs in HK). People always have a choice and voted with their wallet.

Reactions: Titus
The FRT decision has nothing to do with the idea of reducing congestion. It has everything to do with lost revenue. Effectively for every 700k Tesla, they were forgoing ~700k of tax revenue. If the average selling price of an EV eventually is around 350k (pre-tax), that would be ~300k in lost revenue per vehicle. I am not happy about the decision, but lets face it - it was too good to be true that the effective subsidy was BY far the highest in the world - we are talking about US$80-90k for a Model S.

HK has annual auto sales of around 50k new passenger vehicles per year. If one day 30% of those sales are electric and the government did not collect on average say 200k in FRT on those vehicles, that costs the government US$385m a year. If you ask me, its a price worth paying - but in the end its politics.

it was too good to be true that the effective subsidy was BY far the highest in the world - we are talking about US$80-90k for a Model S.

Not sure if it is by far the largest. By comparison, Norway has 0% purchase tax, and 0% VAT for EVs. Also no annual road tax, free public parking, no toll fees, and access to bus lanes. Of course, those incentives are now being cut back; but Norway seems on track for their 2025 goal to be 100% EV for new cars.