Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi/3G handoff sucks!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed that if they have wifi enabled, if the car detects and connects to a wifi source that it will NOT use 3G for any reason. This becomes a problem if the wifi source itself is having connection issues or if the wifi signal isnt' strong enough to work with any reasonable speed. If either of those scenarios happen, the car becomes stranded connectivity wise. On iphones, there is a wifi boost feature where it prefers to use wifi but if the signal is weak or connectivity is slow, it will assist it by using 3G/LTE. The brainless implementation of the wifi in the Model S is a joke.

Has anyone else noticed that if they have wifi enabled, if the car detects and connects to a wifi source that it will NOT use 3G for any reason. This becomes a problem if the wifi source itself is having connection issues or if the wifi signal isnt' strong enough to work with any reasonable speed. If either of those scenarios happen, the car becomes stranded connectivity wise. On iphones, there is a wifi boost feature where it prefers to use wifi but if the signal is weak or connectivity is slow, it will assist it by using 3G/LTE. The brainless implementation of the wifi in the Model S is a joke.
I've had weak WiFi at times depending where I park my car but it always seems to work just fine. If you are having problems wouldn't it be easier to fix your WiFi or just turn it off in the car?

I've had weak WiFi at times depending where I park my car but it always seems to work just fine. If you are having problems wouldn't it be easier to fix your WiFi or just turn it off in the car?

I have turned it off in the car for now. It showed two bars of signal in the car and I could get decent speeds on my phone when standing next to the car or even inside the car. I have my main wireless router and 3 additional access points in my house. I can get good enough wifi with any other device anywhere on my property. This could be an issue for anyone else if their ISP goes down. If your car is on your home network, you will not be able to access it until your ISP comes back up or you physically access the car and turn off wifi.

Actually this is exactly what happened with the iPhone until iOS9 - so this is a pretty common issue with many "mobile" devices. But I agree that you should be able to turn off the wifi if you want, just like on a phone.

IMHO another issue is that there does not appear to be an easy way to turn off the 3G/LTE radio and then turn it back on. I have an issue where in parking garages where there is a weak signal that it downgrades from LTE to 3G. Then it takes a long time to resynch back to LTE, unless I do something like turn on my wifi hotspot that cause the car to connect to wifi..

Actually this is exactly what happened with the iPhone until iOS9 - so this is a pretty common issue with many "mobile" devices. But I agree that you should be able to turn off the wifi if you want, just like on a phone.

IMHO another issue is that there does not appear to be an easy way to turn off the 3G/LTE radio and then turn it back on. I have an issue where in parking garages where there is a weak signal that it downgrades from LTE to 3G. Then it takes a long time to resynch back to LTE, unless I do something like turn on my wifi hotspot that cause the car to connect to wifi..

Holding both scroll wheels and resetting the 17" also resets the cell modem. Not ideal, but it does work.

In UK mainland 3G worked pretty well. However at home in the Isle of Man we have an exclusive 3G/4G service which needs an Isle of Man sim card. It would help us, as well as others I am sure, if the sim card holder was accessible in the car to enable card substitution. Even better if it was 2 or 3 card switchable socket.

WiFi? Why do you want to use it... I tried for a day or so while parked at home. It didn't enhance my experience in any way. Permanently on 3G.

This was around time when Slacker was purported to be playing itself all night... why use up my bandwidth? WiFi = Off.

I have issues with wifi staying connected when there is no internet on wifi. I believe one of my home routers which I have set to disable internet at night is the problem. The car doesn't seem to notice and I can't connect to it. I'm investigating, but Winfred if anyone else has a similar issue.