Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi and bluetooth not working - stuck at 'initializing'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2015 90D is unable to connect to wifi or bluetooth. Is stuck in "initializing".

After driving for some time the MCU shows "Bluetooth Not Functioning Correctly. Needs service" I have made an appointment but its more than a month away. The only advice from Tesla so far was to reboot the MCU and delete the car from the phone....well, it doesnt even get to the point where it can show wifi or bluetooth devices.

Have tried rebooting cluster and MCU without improvement. Is my MCU going bad?

Ah yes and so the prediction came true and the MCU did not boot this morning. To add to the frustration, the sunroof was open at the time. While not an issue while parked in the garage, I surely do not want to leave it like that at Tesla.

Any ideas how one can close the sunroof with the MCU dead the Tesla app thereby not working?

K, the emmc is dead for sure... You can try a reboot to see if mcu comes back one more time.. The chances to recover emmc for 3rd party drops though, however if you do get the mcu back up you can close the roof ASAP. You can also go to SC to get new MCU anytime, they can always restore you.
Also since you MCU failed completely now, you lost BT and WIFI because the driver file got corrupted, which will result in BT and WIFI never completing initialization.

2016 Model S, with MCU1 and new emmc 64GB chip (2022). Bluetooth glitchy since about 2-3 weeks ago. Display response time to commands was very slow, but improved somewhat after Service center (1/16/23) cleared some memory (not emmc). Bluetooth now connects to iPhone12 when car is not in the garage, and works intermittently when not near our house. Iphone11 will not generally stay connected to car bluetooth for more than 1 to 20 minutes last 2 weeks (no problem before that). Wifi as of about Jan 10 no longer connects to car, even though Wifi signal strength is strong and Car sees the house Wifi. Tried every reset, power off, wheel config change, etc of car and phones that I can find, in just about every order, except 12V disconnect reset. Also cleared out all old Nav data - no joy. Also set Iphone as wifi hotspot in the car. Car cannot connect to that wifi either.
Tesla says need to go to MCU2 for $1750K and loss of radio (quote 1/20/23). FM radio addition is now $744. Seems like MCU2 prices fluctuate daily, so hope it will drop or Tesla will be forced to do it for less or free.
Tesla tech says the firmware for bluetooth and wifi has not changed since 2012, so probably cant blame a recent update, unless recent SW change causes intermittent communication with the FPGA.
Wonder if processor is busy trying to comm with our house Wifi, and that interferers with its abiity to stay connected to Bluetooth? Too many processor interupts going on? As a 45 year EE, I find it hard to accept the Tesla theory that the HW degrades over time. Failures I could beleive, but not degradation.
Tesla service continues to be poor. Was a big fan, not now.

Update: Found that moving the car to a location a couple blocks away that has what I think is a clear view to an AT&T cell tower allows the Tesla to find, pair, and (bluetooth) connect to either Iphone 11 or 12. Repeated this 3 times: Will not connect at home (weak cell strength), then connects at the clear-view spot. Once connected, the iPhone stays connected, even in weak cell strength areas. But if I park in any weak area, "forget" the phone, then it will not connect to bluetooth. Any explanation for that?