Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi and LTE Keeps Flipping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if a recent Tesla software update now checks for internet connectivity (specifically to the Tesla servers) and if it doesn't like it (dropped packets, funny routing, etc) it switches back to cellular to retain connectivity to the car. The issue may not be the wireless access point/router, it could be your cable/DSL/optical modem and upstream/your internet service provider.

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60
The only way to fix this on my home network was to isolate my MS to a "guest" network with it being the only device on it. If I connect to my regular wifi connection, with 38 devices working flawlessly on it by the way, it will go in to a constant WiFi reset mode. Connecting for 2-3 seconds and immediately resetting the cars WiFi adapter. Best I could get Tesla engineering to diagnose is that it does not play well if you network has DLNA devices on it.

In any case a solo guest network on the exact same hardware has worked flawlessly.

This has been my issue for months. Using an Apple extreme. Tesla keeps reinitializing right after connecting. Weird thing is there is an Apple extreme at work and no connection issues.

Your work probably does NOT have any DLNA devices on it. ie .....DVR.....xBox ......PlayStation ..... media server etc etc etc. there is no way to get it working properly with an Apple WiFi set up sadly enough. I tried relentlessly for months and had to swap out to another set up. Amplifi HD in my case

Your work probably does NOT have any DLNA devices on it. ie .....DVR.....xBox ......PlayStation ..... media server etc etc etc. there is no way to get it working properly with an Apple WiFi set up sadly enough. I tried relentlessly for months and had to swap out to another set up. Amplifi HD in my case

Disagree with the blanket statement about the Apple Airports not working. My S85D worked just fine with an Apple Airport Extreme (dual-band, 4th generation I think?), and later an Apple Airport Express I deployed to improve connectivity to some IoT devices (not necessarily the Tesla, but it happened to prefer that AP). Earlier this year, I replaced the Airports with Ubiquiti Unifi AC-AP-LITEs, and the Tesla is still working fine. In general I leave all of the protocols enabled (I'm pretty sure the Tesla only does 802.11b/g on 2.4GHz), WPA2/PSK. To my knowledge I don't have any DLNA devices on my network.

Somewhere on the forums here is a thread entitled "WiFi Router Chatter" (or something like that) for people who want to geek out about such things. :)

Bruce.

Disagree with the blanket statement about the Apple Airports not working. My S85D worked just fine with an Apple Airport Extreme (dual-band, 4th generation I think?), and later an Apple Airport Express I deployed to improve connectivity to some IoT devices (not necessarily the Tesla, but it happened to prefer that AP). Earlier this year, I replaced the Airports with Ubiquiti Unifi AC-AP-LITEs, and the Tesla is still working fine. In general I leave all of the protocols enabled (I'm pretty sure the Tesla only does 802.11b/g on 2.4GHz), WPA2/PSK. To my knowledge I don't have any DLNA devices on my network.

Somewhere on the forums here is a thread entitled "WiFi Router Chatter" (or something like that) for people who want to geek out about such things. :)

Bruce.

I spent untold hours with Apple support trying to get my Apple AirPort Extreme Network to play nicely with my Tesla. Nothing worked as long as ANY of my DLNA devises we’re connected. Set up a completely regular Amplifi HD network with a simple isolated guest network and all works perfectly. So it may be that a simple Apple network with a few non DLNA devises will work it won’t on a multi device that includes DLNA devices

I spent untold hours with Apple support trying to get my Apple AirPort Extreme Network to play nicely with my Tesla. Nothing worked as long as ANY of my DLNA devises we’re connected. Set up a completely regular Amplifi HD network with a simple isolated guest network and all works perfectly. So it may be that a simple Apple network with a few non DLNA devises will work it won’t on a multi device that includes DLNA devices

Ok. I believe that the relevant factor is the presence of DLNA speaking devices on the network, not the brand of wireless access point or the absolute number of devices. My home network was at the time hardly a simple one, with probably 50 devices on it ranging from FreeBSD servers to various Apple wireless devices to a scattering of IoT things. :)

It’s good that you got it working finally but too bad you had to go through such gyrations.

Bruce.

So after tinkering again last night there may be a solution that is holding (for now). I set up a guest network on the Apple extreme. I have xfinity so the default main network was 10.1.... but the guest network started at 172. ... in any case for some reason that is holding up. My car is the only thing on the guest side. I’m not sure if the guest network restricts the c band to just bgn but I’m not that technical. In any case. So far 12 hours later and it hasn’t lost connection. This hasn’t happened since delivery in January. Kind of annoyed i hasn’t tried that before. Maybe i just assumed it wouldn’t work.

This has been my issue for months. Using an Apple extreme. Tesla keeps reinitializing right after connecting. Weird thing is there is an Apple extreme at work and no connection issues.
I’ve been having this issue for almost a year now. Swap two different routers already. I have WiFi extender 10 feet away. Not connection issue since I have a nest by the Tesla and that works fine. I tried to disconnect the nest and still issue. iPhone WiFi works fine while sitting inside the Tesla do not WiFi issue.

The only way to fix this on my home network was to isolate my MS to a "guest" network with it being the only device on it. If I connect to my regular wifi connection, with 38 devices working flawlessly on it by the way, it will go in to a constant WiFi reset mode. Connecting for 2-3 seconds and immediately resetting the cars WiFi adapter. Best I could get Tesla engineering to diagnose is that it does not play well if you network has DLNA devices on it.

In any case a solo guest network on the exact same hardware has worked flawlessly.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. After 2.5 years I finally have my Sig X connected to my WiFi network. After reading this I setup a Guest 2.4GHz network on my Netgear Nighthawk R8500 and only have the X connected and the WiFi stays connected. Maybe now they'll send me V 9.0. That's what motivated me to look again for solutions since the email I got today said to be sure the Tesla was connected to WiFi. Thanks again.

Mark

Reactions: boonedocks
I’m certainly glad I found this thread and learned where the WiFi antenna is on the car. I usually park just outside my garage but with my passenger mirror about as far as possible from my WiFi router (and the bodies of a car or two in between). Tonight I moved it to point the mirror right at the router and an hour later it tells me I have an update waiting!

I've experienced the WiFi flipping back and forth to LTE many times. Tesla WiFi is very fragile and hard to keep it connected to modern wifi routers, even if your router is 3 feet away and Tesla shows 100% signal strength. It's not a "cool" or safety critial feature, so it's not tested very well, especially in older hardware. Since new MCU came out, the old MCU WiFi got worse (e.g. somehow my router got the idea from the old MCU that it's 5GHz capable, probably shared code from new MCU). New MCU is a little better, but is also fragile (we have one new and one old in the garage). The best way to keep old MCU Tesla happy is to have an old, cheap, 2.4GHz-only (no 5GHz) router which will create a separate, fire-walled network just for the car(s). New MCU will work with that setup too, but if you only have new MCU in the house (post March 2018 production) then 5GHz simultaneous network will not hurt the setup (for old MCU it can). For the old MCU, you don't even need 802.11n, its wifi is only "802.11g" capable. The new MCU can do "n" and has better reception so it can pick up WiFi from farther away. I made our cars work with a modern router (Ubiquity Unify AP) but it took a lot of tweaking creating separate networks, firewalling them, disabling 5GHz, etc.

More info at:
I'm sure there are other threads too, this is not a new problem, it just emerges more as people upgrade to newer routers or get more or newer devices on their WiFi sharing with Tesla car.

Last edited:
Thank you, thank you, thank you. After 2.5 years I finally have my Sig X connected to my WiFi network. After reading this I setup a Guest 2.4GHz network on my Netgear Nighthawk R8500 and only have the X connected and the WiFi stays connected. Maybe now they'll send me V 9.0. That's what motivated me to look again for solutions since the email I got today said to be sure the Tesla was connected to WiFi. Thanks again.

Mark
BTW I did get v 9.0 Friday night. WiFi still working.

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks
Just curious if configuring the router so it assigns a fixed IP to the car helps? I didn’t see anyone say they had tried it so...
That makes no difference to the car (car still sees it as dynamically assigned address, it just happens to get the same one every time). Then the car has a problem staying connected, it's not when the DHCP lease expires - usually much, much sooner than that.

I've been having the crazy wifi issues for a couple of years. Changed router three times between att to orbi to linksys. The signal is strong when checked used ng iPhone.

its not entirely signal related.

its also login / authorization / protocal on your network.

Somewhere its failing to get authorized.
I used to have this problem, but it sort of seemed to resolve itself after all the many updates.

As others have said, do not use the 5ghz network.
2.4ghz just seems to have less compatibility issues so go with the lower band.

Another thing to check is probably the clock on both the router (if it has one) and car.
If the time are not in sync, that could be a reason why its failing to login and validate on your network.,