TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

WiFi authentication protocol question

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by jamieb, Jul 23, 2014.

1. jamieb

jamieb Member

I park my MS daily at my hospital where there is a nice strong WiFi signal, and the car sees the signal. However, the secure network uses PEAP (MSCHAPv2) for authentication, which requires both my username and password; when I try to join the network it only asks for my password and doesn't log on. Do any of you networking gurus know if there's a setting I can use or is this form of authentication not available in the current firmware? I sometimes sit in the car for a bit finishing my coffee and reading the news and I'd love the faster connectivity as the 3G at this location is 1 bar at best.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

That is a problem. They didn't think there was networks like that people would commonly need to join. I asked them about this last year so they know about the issue.

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I have the same issue at my office. I have a guest network that allows signing in without a username, but then the user is allowed only two days of use before being kicked off.

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Make sure you email ownership with the issue too. Thanks.

5. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

I also have this at work. I just turn of the wifi on my phone and go with cellular when I want to 'talk' to the car.

6. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Looks like the Model S only support WPA2 Personal and not WPA2 Enterprise. They should really support both. Most consumers will only use a shared key (Personal), but nearly any company bigger than a few people will use Enterprise.

7. jamieb

jamieb Member

Done. Probably not high priority on their part but I would think that adding additional open-source, industry standard authentication protocols would be pretty simple and unlikely to break anything else, but then again I'm not a software developer - I know just enough to be dangerous...

8. strider

strider Active Member

Yeah, this should be simple. I'm sure the stack they're using already supports WPA2/.1x, they just need to build the UI to support it.